What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It ALL was beautiful! Definitely not what my baked goods look like. LOL

My mother gave up our house when I was in high school. A widow, she couldn't afford the upkeep on that old house. I lived in rentals and was comfortable with that until I met DH. He hated to come to my apartment. He hated being able to hear what was going on in the next apartment and hearing people coming and going outside my door, in the hallways. I don't think he could ever live anywhere but in a single home. We have privacy fences in the back, as he doesn't even want the neighbors to be able to see us on our deck or in the yard. But if he goes before I do, I'm outta here! I don't even want to clean, let alone do repairs or yard work!!

Because men have always earned more than women, when they are left alone due to the loss of a spouse, they can afford to stay in the home that holds all our memories. But when it is the reverse, women see the home for what it really is. A flight of stairs that our old bones don't want to climb anymore. Several extra rooms that are no longer in use except to pile boxes with our memories into that room. Do we ever open them and look back on our memories? I doubt it. Now is the time for our children to make memories of their own with the next generation of children. So we go to their home for the holidays. That large dining room with six to eight matching chairs is no longer needed. And the homes that the kids buy no longer have a dining room. So they don't want it. But we elderly folks try to hang onto the memories that room has. We dust it faithfully. But we can't get down to do the rungs and low pieces. The dust just collects. The tables that our children are too small for those large table cloths with watching napkins.

So here we are, alone in a large home filled with memories. Time to move on. But when we tell the kids that we are going to be doing some house cleaning and get the house ready to sell, they have a fit to end all fits. "Mom, you can't get rid of the dining room. Think of all the holiday meals and Sunday dinners we had there." So you stop telling your kids what you are going to do, and get up the courage to just do what you really down deep inside, do not want to do.

We move to a community where there are folks our own age who have gone through the pains of making such a big change in our lives. Eventually our kids adjust to the change that they see as you making to 'their' lives. They come to visit, but it is a community that doesn't take kindly to having children.

But everyone will adjust to the change in your life and the kids. Eventually they see how much happier you are. You don't have half the housework you had before, Trying to keep a large home clean is a lot of work. And you have a host of new friends. And new activities. And now when you drive by your old home, there is a new young couple living there with children. They too will build memories, just like your family did. :angel:

I'm baking for a bake sale tomorrow. 3 varieties of cupcakes, 2 varieties of brownies, 2 varieties of cookies and rice crispy treats with their tops dipped in chocolate.

Let the baking begin!
IMG_20150424_110617723_HDR.jpg

i bet you could win an easy $10,000 on 'cupcake wars', bc! i'd love to see you hustling to bake, decorate and display 1000 cupcakes in two hours time, and present them at a star-studded gala in la:)

What am I doing. Well, I am sitting in my computer chair, watching TV, playing on the computer and doing my needle work. It has been more than a year since I have done any needle work. Trying to find a comfortable place to sit and sew with enough light, had me stumped for a long time. Then the light went on. Right here where I sit. Heck, I have three foot stools. And one of them is on wheels. I pull it over, move back a little so I am right under the wall light, and I am in business. Yet I can still reach the desk where my computer. Perfect! :angel:

That reminds me, have to tell the cable company to get us set up in Wyoming. A little closer to the date we move of course. I may be offline for about a week while we get settled.

Ever since I heard about your upcoming move this song has been my earworm. LOL

Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies
It's your misfortune and not of my own
Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies
You know that Wyoming will be your new home

Last edited:
It took me a while to take a liking to bagpipes. Probably because the neighbor across from our first apartment would come home from work and instantly start one of her records up loud enough she could hear it all the way back in the bedroom. Or maybe in the bathroom while showering. :glare:

That all changed when I worked in a mall. Our little gift wrap center was just off the second-story overlook down to the main floor. Suddenly, we could hear what sounded like a drum-and-bagpipe corps getting louder! We all left our little alcove and headed to the "balcony" to see the event parading in from the main entrance. It was amazing! I have to admit that the acoustics in the mall were good - good enough to make even my singing sound good! Anyway, ever since that day I get chills every time I hear bagpipe music. If you want a listen, here's a clip I found of a group from one of Cleveland's suburbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUxyPeaYqPg

This song is taken from the New World Symphony. (Dvorak) It is an old slave hymn about dying and going home to Jesus. It was featured all through the Movie Snake Pit. It starred Olivia de Haviland.

Going Home - LNWHymns.com

Hymns by Scripture Reference - 2 Corinthians on LNWHymns.com

The words are beautiful. :angel:

I first heard it in the movie Local Hero with music by Mark Knopfler, much brighter and happier connotation of going home, not dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDEwyl4uCM

Last edited:
It took me a while to take a liking to bagpipes. Probably because the neighbor across from our first apartment would come home from work and instantly start one of her records up loud enough she could hear it all the way back in the bedroom. Or maybe in the bathroom while showering. :glare:

That all changed when I worked in a mall. Our little gift wrap center was just off the second-story overlook down to the main floor. Suddenly, we could hear what sounded like a drum-and-bagpipe corps getting louder! We all left our little alcove and headed to the "balcony" to see the event parading in from the main entrance. It was amazing! I have to admit that the acoustics in the mall were good - good enough to make even my singing sound good! Anyway, ever since that day I get chills every time I hear bagpipe music. If you want a listen, here's a clip I found of a group from one of Cleveland's suburbs.

Enough bagpipes for the day or I'll never get to work on time. I was lucky enough to hear the Blackwatch from Scotland when I lived in Laramie, have been a huge fan since of Bagpipes and Tattoos. Give me a drumline and I am happy, add in the pipes and I am ecstatic.

I spent the morning with the insurance adjuster looking at my vehicle and preparing an estimate of the cost to repair the damage from Friday's accident. Now I have a dilemma, should I repair the three year old vehicle, or put the insurance money in the bank and continue to drive it with my dents and dings. The damage to the rear of the vehicle is purely cosmetic and fairly minor at first glance yet to fix it will cost approximately 20% of the value of the vehicle and once repaired the vehicle will be branded for life by Carfax. I'm thinking the best strategy is to bank the money and drive it until it is six years old then trade it in or sell it outright. I would appreciate your thoughts on how best to approach this. Thanks, B

Last edited:
I spent the morning with the insurance adjuster looking at my vehicle and preparing an estimate of the cost to repair the damage from Friday's accident. Now I have a dilemma, should I repair the three year old vehicle, or put the insurance money in the bank and continue to drive it with my dents and dings. The damage to the rear of the vehicle is purely cosmetic and fairly minor at first glance yet to fix it will cost approximately 20% of the value of the vehicle and once repaired the vehicle will be branded for life by Carfax. I'm thinking the best strategy is to bank the money and drive it until it is six years old then trade it in or sell it outright. I would appreciate your thoughts on how best to approach this. Thanks, B

If you don't fix it, you're driving around in a junky looking car for three years and when you go to trade it in or sell it, you'll get nothing for it as it's damaged.

If you fix it now, it will at least look good while you use it and the trade-in value will be higher. It may be "branded for life by Carfax" but the unfixed damage pretty clearly say "accident" without the need for a Carfax.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom