What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sister's yew only made it to just a few inches more than when she planted as a baby. Good luck trying to cut the trunk and digging out the roots. :angel:

DH thinks he can hook up a friend's tractor and rip it out. I don't want the other plants and groundcovers disrupted, so I keep whacking.

I don't mind trunks, we've had to take out plenty of mature trees. The trunks make cool places to put bird baths and solar lights!

I have the same problem. Now I refuse all eye drops. There are other ways they can test your eyes and see into them without the drops. And at my age, if I think there is anything, no matter how small, I will let the doctor know immediately. :angel:
Addie, what other ways? I really don't want the doctor missing anything. I already have glaucoma. I can't afford to have him miss something else treatable because he couldn't see the inside of my eye properly.

They also took some scans of the inside of my eyes. That was just tiring.

Decided to wait until tomorrow to pick up the car. One the headaches that had been hovering near my head finally decided to land.

In the medical world, I am known as a "cheap date". A little bit of medicine goes a long way in my body. I have learned to ask for a reduced portion of medicines, including the eye dilating stuff. It really makes a difference in how I feel after being administered medicines.

They gave me several different kinds of eye drops. Some of them were probably dyes for that scan/photo. I just had a good look in the mirror. My usually brown eyes are a muddy colour and there is a dark blue ring all around my irises.

In the medical world, I am known as a "cheap date". A little bit of medicine goes a long way in my body. I have learned to ask for a reduced portion of medicines, including the eye dilating stuff. It really makes a difference in how I feel after being administered medicines.

My eye doc techs just drop from an eyedropper, from a communal bottle. I don't think they can decrease any drops, they're all the same.

Same here. I don't think they can give less than one drop without special equipment.
I'm a cheap date, too. Last couple times the doc put a drop in my eye he also had a fresh tissue at the ready. Chased the drop into my eye and must have captured a bit of the medicine, since it didn't take as long for the effect to wear off.

I hate yew plants...And they are so prickly to work with...
I don't remember them as being prickly. In fact, the yews in my old neighborhood seemed feathery and soft. Now a juniper bush. Ack! I've scratched up my arms so many times from trimming those I swear I will never plant a juniper again. Nor a blue spruce. Neighbor had one of those on our property line. She threatened to pull it out every spring. Last time we were back home visiting neighbors I noticed that Carol still had that spruce! :LOL:

I don't remember them as being prickly. In fact, the yews in my old neighborhood seemed feathery and soft. Now a juniper bush. Ack! I've scratched up my arms so many times from trimming those I swear I will never plant a juniper again. Nor a blue spruce. Neighbor had one of those on our property line. She threatened to pull it out every spring. Last time we were back home visiting neighbors I noticed that Carol still had that spruce! :LOL:

Mine is really sprinkly with all the dead needles. I'm still wearing a bunch of them in my hair. The needles were soft when they were green. And the branches I've cut off have taken a few chunks from my legs, probably due to my clumsiness.

...nd the branches I've cut off have taken a few chunks from my legs, probably due to my clumsiness.
For your boo-boo: :winkiss:

If you want to compare gardening injuries stories, I could tell you the story about how a got a deep muscle bruise just from tripping on a nice, big rock I had put in my garden...:cry: Well, that pretty much IS the story.

For your boo-boo: :winkiss:

If you want to compare gardening injuries stories, I could tell you the story about how a got a deep muscle bruise just from tripping on a nice, big rock I had put in my garden...:cry: Well, that pretty much IS the story.

:winkiss: back! I like short stories. This yew is just nasty.

When my dad last visited, (when he was alive), he walked around the yard, said it was gorgeous, and proclaimed "But kids, it's so much work!" And he's right!

Addie, what other ways? I really don't want the doctor missing anything. I already have glaucoma. I can't afford to have him miss something else treatable because he couldn't see the inside of my eye properly.

They also took some scans of the inside of my eyes. That was just tiring.

When I had my eye surgery, that is when I rebelled and refused to let them put eye drops in. They took me to a machine that allowed them to see into my eyes without the drops. Of course you have to remember, this was in a very large hospital that can afford these expensive machines.

But if you have glaucoma, then follow the doctors wishes. My eye problem, if you remember, was cataracts. Once I had the surgery, I was fine. My biggest concern now is the diabetes. If I suspect for just one instant that it is affecting my vision, I will be on the phone for an emergency visit.

The student doctor that was looking after me after the surgery, had to have someone show her how to use the machine. She knew of its existence, but didn't know if she was going to be allowed to let me be the first one for it to be used on. They were very reluctant to allow me to refuse drops. Once I stood up and reached for my coat, that is when they changed their minds.
They also have the machine now at the doctors office where I go locally. But you have to remember my doctor treats hundreds of elderly patients. He has the contract for my health plan. My doctor is an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist. And his office is a teaching office. He has students from the hospital that I go to learning and working in his office.

The problem with using a light to see into and the back of your eyes is that once light hits the pupils, the pupils get smaller and it is more difficult for the doctor to see in there. That is why they give you the drops. :angel:

They have had to change a lot of my meds. I have lost 40 pounds this year and stand only 4'7". The size of a child. I am now down to 122#'s. So now I am on child doses. I had to threaten to stop taking any of my meds if the doctor wouldn't sit down with me and go over every one of them. My nurse should have called my weight loss to his attention. If not to him, then the NPR. I was getting sick every time I took certain ones, and my blood pressure would drop enough that I would pass out.

So one morning when I was going to Winthrop for my monthly vitals check, I didn't take my morning pills before I left the house. But I took my morning pills with me and took them while I was there. Sure enough, I went right down to the floor. That!!! got their attention. I had been verbally complaining to deaf ears. :angel:

When I had my eye surgery, that is when I rebelled and refused to let them put eye drops in. They took me to a machine that allowed them to see into my eyes without the drops. Of course you have to remember, this was in a very large hospital that can afford these expensive machines.

But if you have glaucoma, then follow the doctors wishes. My eye problem, if you remember, was cataracts. Once I had the surgery, I was fine. My biggest concern now is the diabetes. If I suspect for just one instant that it is affecting my vision, I will be on the phone for an emergency visit.

The student doctor that was looking after me after the surgery, had to have someone show her how to use the machine. She knew of its existence, but didn't know if she was going to be allowed to let me be the first one for it to be used on. They were very reluctant to allow me to refuse drops. Once I stood up and reached for my coat, that is when they changed their minds.
They also have the machine now at the doctors office where I go locally. But you have to remember my doctor treats hundreds of elderly patients. He has the contract for my health plan. My doctor is an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist. And his office is a teaching office. He has students from the hospital that I go to learning and working in his office.

The problem with using a light to see into and the back of your eyes is that once light hits the pupils, the pupils get smaller and it is more difficult for the doctor to see in there. That is why they give you the drops. :angel:
Yup, and my ophthalmologist is looking for tiny evidence of changes to my optic nerve.

His office has quite a few ophthalmologists. It is associated with a lab that does eye tests for ophthalmologists who don't have all the newest equipment. One of the tests I get is HRT3. It's fairly new. It isn't covered by RAMQ (Quebec's health insurance), so I don't think they have it at the hospitals. It uses a laser to take a 3D photo of the optic nerve. The doctor decides if he needs for me to have the drops after he has looked at the result of HRT3 and the visual field test.

My white lilac is blooming now too, smells great. Miss Kim, my dwarf Korean lilac, should be going in a few weeks.

Went to the local greenhouse, thinking since it's a weekday afternoon, there won't be anyone else there. Wrong. Parking lot was full. I was able to bring home a couple flats of outrageously expensive plants and even got a free koozy.

I never plant stuff till around Mothers Day, but I can stash the flats in the sunroom if it gets too cold out.

Last edited:
We have a very special park called The Arnold Arboretum that is filled with rare plants from all over the world. But there are 100's of lilac bushes all over the place. No matter where you walk. By Mother's Day Sunday, they are all in bloom. And the place smells heavenly. My sister and I tried to make it a yearly excursion. No bicycles or skate boards allowed. And there are park rangers available to enforce that rule. :angel:

Just cut some flowering lilac's and brought them into the house. Oh, do they ever smell wonderful.

My great grandmother had a huge lilac tree and it smelled so good when in bloom, hers was purple. We had a white one and one that was a reddish pink, very unusual.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom