What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been cleaning my kitchen cupboards and getting a couple of boxes ready for the thrift shop. The other day I pulled out a couple of old Pyrex pie plates that had so much baked on gunk around the decorative edges and handles that I was ashamed to put them into the donation box! Then I remembered a tip that I think the Chief posted about using ammonia to clean the baked on gunk from stove grates. I put the pie plates into a 2 1/2 gallon Hefty ziplok bag and poured 1/2 cup of ammonia into the top pie plate. I sealed the bag and let it sit for 24 hours. This morning I washed the two pie plates in hot sudsy water with a sponge scrubber and the gunk came right off with no scrubbing! One of sparkling pie plates went into the donation box and the other went back into the cupboard. Now I have a couple of old casseroles in the "gas chamber"! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

...Then I remembered a tip that I think the Chief posted about using ammonia to clean the baked on gunk from stove grates...

I've been using ammonia like that for years. It does a great job on stove parts. Now that the weather is warmer, I have to give the stove top parts another go in the magic green bag.

I've been using ammonia like that for years. It does a great job on stove parts. Now that the weather is warmer, I have to give the stove top parts another go in the magic green bag.

I was totally amazed at the results, I wish I had tried this years ago! It would have saved me years of guilt and shame over being too lazy to scrub my old clear Pyrex dishes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Details! Someone give me details about the ammonia and the magic green bag! Isn't ammonia unbearably strong? Enough to knock you out?

Details! Someone give me details about the ammonia and the magic green bag! Isn't ammonia unbearably strong? Enough to knock you out?

It is very strong!

I just used 1/2 cup of household ammonia poured into the dirty plate and placed it in a ziplok bag for 24 hours. The seal on the bag was tight enough to keep the fumes from leaking out. You could use any size plastic bag and seal it with a twist tie. If you can set it outside that would solve the problem of fumes. When I'm done cleaning pots I will use the leftover ammonia to do a little cleaning. Be very careful not to mix the ammonia with any other household cleaners, especially those containing chlorine bleach. The fumes from that combination can knock you out and eventually kill you.

Shrek's Medicare goes with him and I am covered until the 31st for insurance purposes. I start my new job the 28th and will be covered then.

We will be using the same Doctors Mom and Dad use in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. The closest place with a Cardiology Team.

I will be off DC for about 2 weeks starting the 15th. Otherwise I will never leave the computer alone and get things done.

Good ole Medicare. And I am glad you have all bases covered. Can you still take advantage of Cobra coverage until your new insurance kicks in? Or does that kick in immediately on the first day of employment? It has been so long since I was part of the work force that I haven't even tried to keep up with all the changes. And with the total coverage I now have, I have no need to try and keep up. :angel:

Shrek's Medicare goes with him and I am covered until the 31st for insurance purposes. I start my new job the 28th and will be covered then.

We will be using the same Doctors Mom and Dad use in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. The closest place with a Cardiology Team.

I will be off DC for about 2 weeks starting the 15th. Otherwise I will never leave the computer alone and get things done.
I understand that one. Don't forget to mention that in the MIA thread.

And have a great move. (Mentioning it now in case I don't "see you" before you leave.)

Cleaning. You know how something just gets out of hand? Weeks ago someone mentioned Alice's Restaurant so I ordered the movie from Netflix. We will be watching it tonight, with 6 other neighbors, in my small living room. I thought one or two would show up, prompting my saying I would provide popcorn. So I will be making popcorn also today.

...Can you still take advantage of Cobra coverage until your new insurance kicks in? Or does that kick in immediately on the first day of employment?...
Addie, PF explained earlier in the thread:

...and I am covered until the 31st for insurance purposes. I start my new job the 28th and will be covered then...

There won't be any lapse in coverage. All I can say to that is "Very nice, PF!

I have a little tower with shelves in the bathroom. I keep my folded towels and face clothes in it. The face clothes were out of control to the point of becoming a sci fi nightmare. I don't know where I got about 20+ face clothes. I live alone. Where the heck did they all come from? So I whittled them down to six very thick plush ones. Some of the rest went into the cleaning rag bag. That meant that I could reduce the height of the needed space of the shelf. More room for the thick plush extra large bath towels my daughter gave me one year. I got a pleasant surprise. When I first got the towels, they didn't quite fit around me. I tried one today, and it not only fits, there is plenty of towel to close any possible gaps.

So some towels went into the cleaning rag bag also. I did have to save Teddy's towel though. I have to wrap him up in it when there is a thunderstorm. I wrap him tightly and hold him real close. It does help reduce his shaking.

I now have six very large bath towels, and two smaller ones to wrap my hair in when I get out of the shower. I also found a 'finger tip' towel. It is pretty. So I hang it on the small rack next to the sink. But I also keep a roll of paper towels on the sink counter for wiping hands. Don't use the finger tip towel!

Next I tossed out the stupid tub chair that ESP gave me when I first moved in. I told them I didn't want it or need it. And it was too big for a tub. They insisted I take it. That went into the trash also. It was great for collecting "stuff". A nuisance to keep cleaned off.

I still have room in the tower. Along with more floor space with the chair gone. Why did it take me so long to tackle that problem? :angel:

Have a memorial for a patient this afternoon and then I will be going out to the facility tonight to say goodbye to night shift co-workers

I'm supposed to be getting organized and packed up to go.
Good day to do it. The guys will be leaving to go get my sons truck.
Yeah, it's been fixed early. (Stuck valve during shipping)

Just lacking the energy or enthusiasm to get anything done today.

Waiting for try number three of delivery from the pharmacy. First try, they forgot my Robaxin. Second try they sent Robax Platinum which has ibuprofen. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen don't work on me, so I want the one with no pain reliever. I want to be able to take something else if it still hurts. At least I didn't wait until I was completely out.

I got all my cookbooks packed...5 - 12"x12"x18" boxes. Shrek is busy getting his guitars ready for travel.

I love all of the molding in this house, until I have to wipe it all down :wacko:
Seems like there is miles of it! I get down on my hands and knees and think "dang, when was the last time I did this?"

bakechef, put an old dusting sock on your foot and wipe the baseboards down while standing! I suppose if you have a chair on wheels you could roll along and do it too. A busy mom of two told me this hint before we had kids. I have to admit I have done it this way!

I'm supposed to be getting organized and packed up to go...
I think this thread needs to be renamed "What SHOULD you be doing?". :LOL: I should be getting the last of the screens in the windows. That also involves washing down the frame inside the track, and the window in-and-out. I'll be happy if I get half a dozen in. 17 windows are nice...until you start to wash them. :wacko: And I wasn't even counting the sun room ones!

Back
Top Bottom