What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now I am cursing my shredder. It is a piece of junk. Again it has jammed and it won't even back out the paper. So I have to wait until Spike comes tonight with his needle nose pliers so I can pick out the jammed paper with then. Grrr! It was given to me as a present. My granddaughter was concerned because I was ripping up my bills and old bank statements. This thing is supposed to be one of the best, even for an professional office. One time she asked me if I used it a lot and if not could she have it back. I made the mistake of tell her No! Big mistake. I would do better to go back to my old way of tearing stuff up by hand into small pieces. I supposed I should be putting this in the Venting forum. But the title is "What Are You Doing?" Now you know. I am cursing. !!@#$#!#$!~#$%&%@%((!!@#$! So there! :angel:

According to the current advice over here, given the cost of our water and electricity/gas, the d/w once a day is supposed to be more economical than washing up in the sink after every meal.

When I moved house there wasn't room for my full-size dishwasher and I live alone so I bought a new narrow one. Supposed to take 10 place settings. Oh, yeah? Don't know how they work that one out. 10 pace settings and there's no room for anything else - in fact, put in 5 place settings and while there's plenty of space left there's no actual room for anything else to fit so it's do two washes per session or roll up your sleeves and fill the sink for the stuff that won't fit in the d/w. And it's a "Bosch". Top of the range. Ha!

It doesn't clean properly and it doesn't dry despite diligent cleaning of filters, etc. My old cheap and cheerful "Beko" full-size d/w which cost half the price of the Bosch was infinitely better at everything. Fortunately I put the Beko in storage and I'm seriously considering removing a cupboard to make room for it and sending the Bosch to the charity shop.

As this thread asks what I'm doing the answer is I'm doing the (insert your own rude word) washing up.

Rant over and I feel better :)
Yeah, there's only two of us, so we fell for that smaller dishwasher too. It actually cost more than the full sized one. I can hardly fit any pots in it if I want to put plates too. It's really annoying.

I loved, "(insert your own rude word)". :LOL:

I haven't been around for a while - where are you moving to? Have you retired from nursing?

All the best for the move and the new home.

To bring you up to date. Her job had lost its luster. New management and they were not as nice as the previous ones. So she gave them her resignation and found a job near her parents. Her parents found a house for them and are giving them the money to buy it. It is just down the street from her parents home. It is the perfect size for just the two of them. If you scroll back you will see the pictures of her new home. It is located in Wyoming. We all are excited for the both of them. New home, new job and a lot of potential for their new home. Plenty of room, and it comes with a fridge, washer and dryer. The W&D are downstairs in the basement. She will be putting up a clothesline in the backyard. And she intends to buy a rack for bad weather days when she is trying to keep her utility bills down.

I think I have brought you up to date. Oh yes, her father is coming by bus from WY to help her load up the truck and bring her home with all her belongings. They will hit the road on Friday.

Hey everybody, did I leave anything out? :angel:

Last edited:
... I think I have brought you up to date. Oh yes, her father is coming by bus from WY to help her load up the truck and bring her home with all her belongings. They will hit the road on Friday.

Hey everybody, did I leave anything out? :angel:

Her father is also bringing Shrek and his belongings ;)

I haven't been around for a while - where are you moving to? Have you retired from nursing?

All the best for the move and the new home.

Hello MC!

Not retiring, have a ways to go there. Have a new job in Wyoming and taking Shrek home as he asked.

Will be living in Lingle and working in Torrington @ Goshen Health Care Center. I'll be old and grey before I give up nursing my elderlies.

Hey, PF, I'm hitting the road on Friday too. Dh and I will be off for an over 4000 mile road trip. Does that sound like fun? So I am in prep mode to be gone that long.

Figuring out what I can prep tonight at home for the photoshot so I don't have to do it all in the morning. Since the food is not being served to the public, I can prep in my own kitchen...used to cook in my own kitchen (liked that better--I didn't have to haul missing tools to the kitchen).

Busy day tomorrow, walleye with roasted asparagus and an arugula salad with BACON dressing, rolled turkey breast stuffed with rhubarb, a strawberry-spinach-quinoa salad, and 2 pork tenderloin recipes + sides.

There you are, Radhuni! We've missed you, welcome back, and enjoy your daughter's summer vacation!

I'm recuperating from grocery shopping.

I know that feeling very well. I hate shopping. It takes so much out of me. I am doing laundry, and trying to get my apartment in shape for inspection on Thursday. It is yearly inspection time for Management and then in June HUD comes nosing around. Management and I both know that my carpet should be replaced. But as long as I have a chair with wheels for the computer, it will happen again. The carpet in front of the 'puter is a mess, stretched out and full of wrinkles. I know they are there and I don't care. I have never tripped over them. So leave the carpet alone. Just hope HUD doesn't pick my apartment to inspect in June. They will demand that it be replaced in 24 hours and then come back to make sure it was done.

The inspection by Management is a piece of cake. They know I don't give a dang. They just check to see if all door handles work and doors close right, faucets work, toilet flushes, etc. Then they ask me if I have any wants or needs to be fixed. I always tell them no. Just leave me alone and let me live quietly. :angel:

I know that feeling very well. I hate shopping. It takes so much out of me. :angel:
Tell HUD you want a dishwasher instead of the garbage disposal.

I am exhausted on Thursdays when I get home from running to China Town, the cash-and-carries, the fishmonger, the butcher, the candlestick maker...oh wait, that's rub-a-dub-tub, three men in a tub...

It isn't the shopping, I've got that down to a science. I call and place my order in advance so all I have to do is go in, pay for it, and load it (or get help loading it). It is the driving, parking, getting in and out of the car, dealing with traffic, and road construction that is so exhausting. And, off-loading everything and putting it away at the kitchen and making sure I got everything. Now that it is hot, I put everything in coolers with ice packs, I have to temp the coolers every hour.

For me, it's mostly the schlepping it into the house and putting it away.
Try schlepping 40 lb of cabbage, or asparagus or 50 lb bags of grains, cornmeal, etc., etc. Fortunately I do have a hand cart to use, but I still have to lift the stuff out of the car, onto the cart, balance going up the ramp, and then take it off the handcart and put it away. I don't need to go to the gym...

Try schlepping 40 lb of cabbage, or asparagus or 50 lb bags of grains, cornmeal, etc., etc. Fortunately I do have a hand cart to use, but I still have to lift the stuff out of the car, onto the cart, balance going up the ramp, and then take it off the handcart and put it away. I don't need to go to the gym...

For me it is the walking up a ramp to start the day. I leave my scooter in the Community Room and then go out the front door. I limp because of my right leg. Walking inside is not too bad. But when I get outside on hard surface, then my leg hurts. The I have to walk when we get to the store through the gates of Hell to get to the electric carts. Now I don't do that anymore. I grab the very first employee and ask him/her if they could please bring me a cart. No problem. They do it.

I know it is not the same, but there is stress driving that cart around when the store is crowded. Asking people to please move, trying to maneuver the cart close enough to the shelves, (like parking for every item) finding help to get me something behind a pallet that is in front of the item I want, or something on the very top shelf at the very top of the stacked cans, trying hard to not knock someone down as I turn a corner for the next aisle, etc. There are days when I look at my list and see I need to get two more items. "Oh to hell with them. I will get them next month. I just want to get out of here."

Fortunately we have a really large grocery cart from some store in the building to bring up the groceries. And God Bless Spike. He puts my all groceries away for me. He chases me out of the kitchen. He has been doing it long enough that he knows where everything goes.

I hate shopping. I even hate making my shopping list. A lot of items I buy every month like sugar and coffee. So they never come off the list. But I do keep a pad by the computer and if I run out of something, or think of an item I need to buy for a recipe, I write it down as reference for when I open the list I keep in the computer. I dread the first of the month. :angel:

...Management and I both know that my carpet should be replaced. But as long as I have a chair with wheels for the computer, it will happen again...
Next time one of the kids wants to get you something, ask for an office rug protector. We have always had one underneath the rolling chair by the computer to save the carpeting. Works like a charm. We got ours at Staples, but I think any office supply company would have them. Maybe even in the bigger Targets.

images

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom