What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope you feel better very soon, LP.

This is a crazy month so far and it's just begun. :LOL: Birthday and anniversary celebrations, and since the grands are all out of school now, we're all trying to get together for visits. I always end up being the coordinator and I don't mind at all, it's just difficult to arrange times when my sons-in-law are both off work at the same times. :huh: It's hard for them to take time off work when they're scheduled, because one is a cop and the other is a firefighter, so they have to find someone else to cover.

Plus, the firefighter works 2-3 day shifts in a row and has to stay at the station, and the cop is on the 6PM to 6AM shift now so he has to sleep during the day. Oy. :shock: :LOL:

Admirable professions for both of your "sons", Cheryl. Kudos to you for doing the family planning it has to be an ever changing challenge. Steve would tell you to use a spread sheet. He has one for everything!

Thanks ladies - it is a challenge, to be sure. I've got a couple of days now where I can't do much, my oldest daughter is in Texas for a friend's wedding.

Kay, I wouldn't know the first thing about making a spreadsheet. :ermm::LOL: BTW, one my SIL's is a Steve, too. :)

I wouldn't have a clue about making a spreadsheet. It would all be in cursive longhand, which would then be indecipherable, as my handwriting is horrid. Guess I should have been a doctor!

Last edited:
Steve and I think alike. I use spreadsheets for everything. I was using spreadsheets before there was Excel.
Me too. I met my first spreadsheet when I got an Atari ST in 1985. People asked what games I played on it and I answered that I played spreadsheet. :ermm: :LOL:

I thought it was the nfitiest thing.

What is a normal non-sale per pound price for a tri-tip?

It's $5.99/lb. here right now at my local Stater Brothers. Typically here it runs between that and $7/lb. It's a smallish cut, usually between 1.5 and 2.25 lbs. or so. I can usually get one for between $12 and $15, and it's almost all useable meat.

Me too. I met my first spreadsheet when I got an Atari ST in 1985. People asked what games I played on it and I answered that I played spreadsheet. :ermm: :LOL:

I thought it was the niftiest thing.
Lotus 1-2-3?

I get sign in sheets from a local church that feeds the needy once a week. I have to enter the names, gender, age, and ethnicity of each person into a spreadsheet for 300-500 people. I then have to generate reports once a month by the number of people in each category.
This data is needed to qualify for grants and the food banks.

Lotus 1-2-3?

I get sign in sheets from a local church that feeds the needy once a week. I have to enter the names, gender, age, and ethnicity of each person into a spreadsheet for 300-500 people. I then have to generate reports once a month by the number of people in each category.
I don't remember the name, but it was Lotus compatible. It had some stuff that Lotus didn't have, so you had to point and click for that stuff so it wouldn't become part of a formula or something. Lotus didn't run on anything with a mouse at the time.

Yeah, that's how I would store that kind of data too.

It's $5.99/lb. here right now at my local Stater Brothers. Typically here it runs between that and $7/lb. It's a smallish cut, usually between 1.5 and 2.25 lbs. or so. I can usually get one for between $12 and $15, and it's almost all useable meat.

They also sell them untrimmed for less per pound. I prefer to trim them myself because they're often trimmed too close for my liking. There's quite a thick a fat cap, and I prefer to have some of that fat burn up for the flavor.

Lotus 1-2-3?

Once you set up the spreadsheets, all the work is in the data entry.

They also sell them untrimmed for less per pound. I prefer to trim them myself because they're often trimmed too close for my liking. There's quite a thick a fat cap, and I prefer to have some of that fat burn up for the flavor.

I hear ya on the fat cap, Kay. Fat=flavor and I like to leave some on too, and let it baste itself while it's grilling. :yum: Curious what they go for down south where you are?

We only have 2 grocery stores here within about a hundred miles :ermm: - Albertson's and Staters. Staters has the best meat selection and at least 3 or 4 butchers at all times compared to Alb one butcher on duty. But Alb is bigger and therefore has a bigger selection on other things. Sometimes depending what I want I'll shop both in one day, since they're only 2 miles apart. :D

Oh, those green 13 column spreadsheets! At the time, I actually enjoyed them, especially getting them to balance.

Today, I look back and wonder how we managed without computers. I have Excel spreadsheets for listing the books I've read, lists of food in the freezer, fridge,

Actually now that I have direct deposit, I don't need to do any kind of spreadsheet. I can check my balance by pushing a few buttons on my phone, and I know what I have available because all purchases are recorded as I make them.

I love the technical age I live in.

Most of my Excel spreadsheets are just forms to help me keep tabs on what food I have on hand.

The book list is so I don't buy another copy of a book I've already read. I keep an up to date copy in my pocket book. This is a necessity for me as I read 4 or 5 books a week.:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Once you set up the spreadsheets, all the work is in the data entry.

When I worked for the church, the woman who kept track of the incoming funds and collections was a mess at bookkeeping. She had pieces of paper all over her desk and only she knew what everything was. They were still doing it manually. No one wanted the job because she would have packed every bit of that mess in a shoe box and then given it to the new bookkeeper to figure out on their own. So I set up a spreadsheet of all the envelopes and cash that came in each week. It took me several months doing in my spare time at home at night. By the time I had it finished, the finance committee had a monthly report of how much monies came in and a final report at the end of the year, All you had to do was enter the cash each week with the data, and then just press one key on the keyboard and the report would print out. The congregation was getting up in years and none of them really knew about computers except to do emails.

So when I came along for the job as church secretary, they wanted someone who could get their finances in order on a computer. One of the members worked at MIT as a secretary and was taking (free) computer courses such as word and excel so she could take over as head of the finance committee. I think I taught her more about what excel could do than the course she was taking. We used to crack up when I would show her something she had never covered in class. Her favorite expression became, "Well I am becoming smarter than my instructor. He should get fired and I will get hired. And then I will make more money." I taught her all the shortcuts and when she would use them in class, her instructor would always ask her if she had ever taken excel before. And there were a couple of tricks I taught her and she passed them on to her instructor. I honestly think he was teaching excel 1.0.

I ended up giving her the manual for the latest edition of excel to read and practice at home. And she did just that. A great student and eager to learn everything. I felt very happy turning everything over to her when I left. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom