What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter and SIL left a few minutes ago to take Tyler out for a drive to look at Christmas lights. There are some pretty amazing displays throughout the local neighborhoods. URL]

Just made a batch of Andy's sister's Apple Squares to take to my daughter's tomorrow.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f117/apple-squares-93133.html

Definitely a very special treat for any child. My daughter usually takes me up by the Madonna statue to look at all the lights. My sister and I used to go every year in town to see the Boston Common lit up along with all the store windows. I loved seeing them as a kid and I still do. Last year there was just too much snow and too dangerous to climb that icy hill to look down on river and see the cargo ships all lit up along with the rest of East Boston. And this year I have been very sick. I still don't know if I am going to feel well enough to go to my daughter's for dinner. She is serving prime rib of beef. I did manage to bake the cake, but that is as far as I have gotten. The icing is made, but can I have enough energy to finish it?

I lost another five pounds this past week due to being so sick. I am now down to 115. This is losing weight the hard way. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Having an emoticon snowball fight...on another forum!
317354.gif

FUN!!!
excited.gif

(Well, maybe not that much fun!)
eusa_naughty.gif
dontlaugh.gif

We've turned and poked the four ducks in the oven for the second time this morning. Two more pokes and turnings to go before they'll be ready to transport this afternoon for dinner with the family. Sure is smelling good in this house!

Good Morning everyone. I hope yesterday was everything you wanted.

My daughter made the mistake of telling everyone that for the very last time she wanted the everyone there to open presents that were under the tree. Well, she got her wish and then some. Friends started to show up around 9:30 a.m. with presents in hand for her family. She was not prepared for this. Everyone wanted breakfast after all the presents were opened. Now there is room for only six people at her table. So a pound of bacon and sausages went into the oven and a dozen of eggs whipped up for scrambled eggs, a loaf of bread toasted and everyone making their own coffee with the Kuerig maker, and everyone got fed. My daughter would make a great side order cook in a diner.

Pirate and I showed up around 2 p.m. Between me, Pirate, her husband and her son's fiancé we cleaned up the place and got dinner started for her. Rib roast, mashed potatoes, corn, candied carrots, and I made the gravy. My poor daughter. We sent her off to bed to get some rest. She got up for dinner around five p.m. She had a Ricotta Pie ready, but since I am not a fan of Ricotta, Pirate and I headed home laden down with our gifts. So she ended the day, the way she really wanted to start it. With just her family only.

Needless to say, Pirate and I slept soundly last night. In fact, here it is 9:30 a.m. and he is still sleeping. I have some housework to do. :angel:

My daughter had planned a birthday dinner tomorrow for Pirate. I have to call her first thing in the morning to inform her that Pirate has a bad case of the flu. Running a high fever, coughing, running nose, vomiting and constant complaining of aching all over his body. Oh yeah, it is such a joy of taking care of him. I a going to dose him up good with medications and go there myself. I will make sure there is plenty of liquids beside his bed before I leave. That is if she is still planning on making the ham dinner. I will bring back a plate for him, but I doubt he will eat any. So I will wrap it up good and put it in the freezer for him.

I feel so bad. This kid has never had anything done for his birthday. On the day of and even a couple of days later. The curse of the Christmas Baby has struck again. :angel:

Just sitting here thinking of all the little things mom wants me to do around her house before I leave. We had a great Christmas, mom bought us 6 place settings of Fiesta and she's going to buy us two more for our birthdays, what an awesome gift! Rob was just saying that he'd love multicolored Fiesta. I bought mom a roomba and she's named it Trixie. She has a house full of laminate flooring and it did a fantastic job while we were away yesterday. This will help her keep up with the fur ball tumbleweeds...

We did a little Christmas clearance shopping yesterday and I got lots of ornaments and a nice new tree for half price! We left there and went to James island for their drive through festival of lights, it was beautiful!

Back to NC this afternoon, do some laundry and get ready for work tomorrow and new years week. Hopefully after this week we get a reprieve, it's been so busy!

Having a lazy Sunday morning. getting the house back in pre-holiday condition. Taking the leaf out of the table, carrying extra chairs down to the basement, dealing with where to put all our new stuff.

Planning a brunch later this morning. An omelet (green peppers, scallions, mushrooms, cheese) with hash browns and a piece of ribeye I can reheat in a skillet.

Decorations will stay up a little longer. SO's granddaughter is flying up for a visit next weekend so SO will want to keep some decorations up for her.

Just sitting here thinking of all the little things mom wants me to do around her house before I leave. We had a great Christmas, mom bought us 6 place settings of Fiesta and she's going to buy us two more for our birthdays, what an awesome gift! Rob was just saying that he'd love multicolored Fiesta. I bought mom a roomba and she's named it Trixie. She has a house full of laminate flooring and it did a fantastic job while we were away yesterday. This will help her keep up with the fur ball tumbleweeds...

We did a little Christmas clearance shopping yesterday and I got lots of ornaments and a nice new tree for half price! We left there and went to James island for their drive through festival of lights, it was beautiful!

Back to NC this afternoon, do some laundry and get ready for work tomorrow and new years week. Hopefully after this week we get a reprieve, it's been so busy!

I named my Roomba Rosie after the maid on the Jetsons. I set her off on her cleaning whenever I have to go out. Put the wall up in front of the bathroom door and when I get home she is back in her charger. I am always surprised with just how much she can get.

My daughter had the Fiesta as her preferred present when she got married more than thirty years ago. She still has every piece, including all the service pieces. She used to bring it out for holidays for about ten years, then she packed it away and decided to set a formal table at holiday time. I prefer the Fiesta. :angel:

My daughter is going to cook Pirate's Birthday dinner and send two plates of food to my house. I will put his in the fridge and just pick at mine throughout the day.

I have to go downstairs to the apartment of an old timer who told Pirate that he is very lonely. So Pirate brought down a big piece of his birthday cake. I need to retrieve my dish. He is restricted in his activities outside of his apartment due to the oxygen tank he has with him around the clock. Boy, did he come to the wrong building to live if he is in need of friends. These residents are the most unfriendly elderly folks I have ever come across. Any time they get together, all they do is gossip and tear apart other residents that they don't like. :angel:

I'm studying my selection of successful party/buffet recipes for a future event. It's an enjoyable venture and further involves trying out many new potentials.

Sounds like fun, creative. :)

I'm fiddlin' around in the kitchen, making things to use up some of the leftover ham. So far I've made a ham spread for crackers, chopped some up for omelettes, sliced some for sandwiches, and split pea soup is simmering on the stove. Good thing we all love ham. :LOL:

My granddaughters (10 and 14) will be here tomorrow from Central CA for the week. It'll be a fun and busy week for all of us, so I'm also making other things to have on hand in the fridge. I browned and seasoned some ground chuck for taco salads, made a potato salad, and have chicken thighs and drumsticks thawing. I thought about grilling them, but I think I'll make some good ol' fried chicken instead. :yum:

The grands know that when you come to Grandma's, you eat. :LOL:

Last edited:
Bakechef....what a great gift from your Mom! I've always LOVED Fiestaware, and have been wanting to treat myself to a set for years now. Maybe someday. Have a nice and safe trip back to NC! :)

Like Andy, getting things back into shape.
I stayed in bed all day yesterday doing nothing but watching old movies and playing a game on the Kindle. Christmas prep and day wore me out. Took a nap with my puppy to.

Today it's back to it. After I have some Salmon cakes.

Nursing a flu patient. The urge to kill is very strong some days. He better get healthy real quick. Like yesterday. Maybe because I have never had the flu, I am too impatient with him. Evidently nursing is not my profession to be in. Or maybe he is just a chronic complaining patient? :angel:

Nursing a flu patient. The urge to kill is very strong some days. He better get healthy real quick. Like yesterday. Maybe because I have never had the flu, I am too impatient with him. Evidently nursing is not my profession to be in. Or maybe he is just a chronic complaining patient? :angel:
:LOL:

I hope Pirate didn't have 'the urge to kill' when his mother was feeling so sick with a cold for a month....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom