What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just watched the London New Year's Eve firework display...on TV (best place with the current terrorist alert situation!) I found it very impressive.

I see that, despite the hotel fire in Dubai, that they managed to put on their firework display at the nearby tallest building. The show must go on....

Well, I made it to midnight. I watched 2 minutes of the Ryan Seacrest thing, realized I didn't know the names of any of the people standing on the stage with him, and switched over to watch "Minions" on Amazon.

Being the party animals we are, we fell asleep before 10 while watching the latest "Ice Age" installation.

I have just been looking at how different our traditions are...some are astonishing, interesting and/or amusing

New Year’s traditions around the world

Anyone want to celebrate like Estonia next year? (No. 3)
agree.gif

Last edited:
Interesting link, creative, thanks for sharing! I saved it to look at more a little later.

I fell asleep in the recliner somewhere around 11:00, and was woken up at midnight by fireworks somewhere nearby. Got up and went to bed. :)

Fixin' to fry up some corn tortilla triangles, the dip will be a hot layered dip of refried beans, salsa, sour cream, a few different cheeses, and topped with chopped scallions. My brother will be here around noon, and we'll enjoy our chili and tamale dinner around 2ish. I made the jalapeno cheddar corn muffins yesterday evening. :yum:

I looked around for TV marathons to amuse us while we eat and chat - so far I've found the usual 'Twilight Zone' on SYFY, 'Gold Rush' on Discovery, and 'Counting Cars' on the History Channel. Bro restores old cars, so I know he'll enjoy the cars one. (Just not for very long, or I'm stealing the remote back) :LOL: Neither of us are into sports. I'm watching the Rose Parade now while I'm having my coffee. :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Last edited:
Got my etouffé going, will be doing some laundry and just relaxing. Planning a trip to the city tomorrow for some grocery shopping. Also need a sheet of 1/4" plywood for the back of a cabinet I want to use as a pantry. Looking at ceiling lights...

DH went out with one of his boyfriends to watch our beloved Hawkeyes play in the Rose Bowl! Apparently they're not doing so well. Had an exemplary season, but as DH explained to me ad infinitum (meaning I really didn't care) apparently the Hawks played really bad teams, which was why they were 35-1 or something like that.

I'm kicking back.

Last edited:
Gosh are we the only ones who watched the Rose Parade today? I've always loved watching it here at 8 AM live. Spending my whole life in this area, I've never been there in person, but one year we went down to see the beautiful floats parked where we could inspect them for days after the parade.

We've had a lazy day today with me watching old movies by dead people. Love really old movies on Turner Movie Classics. Today it was 1937 "Stage Door".

Had to perform Nose count, Inventory, Line up for inspection-- call it what you will. Youngest didn't show up for dinner, which is unusual because she is right there tripping me up come dinnertime. I put away and carried Christmas stuff to upstairs closet today. Sure enough. I found her asleep in the closet. Poor girl. She's usually pretty vocal, but I had the stereo on most of the day. Her bonus is she is scared of the vacuum cleaner and I did a thorough job with the Kirby before re-arranging furniture.

Sorry, I only watched half the Rose Bowl. It was too sad.

She is a 4 y/o tabby cat And my daughter. As is her 15 y/o sister. Both rescues. They are not adopted but members of my house-family.

Last edited:
She is a 4 y/o tabby cat And my daughter. As is her 15 y/o sister. Both rescues. They are not adopted but members of my house-family.

Absolutely! Spike's dog Teddy is his "baby". I am grandma, Pirate is uncle.

Last night when the fireworks started in Boston Harbor, Teddy jumped up of Spike's bed and went right under the blankets to the bottom of the bed. Sometimes when there is continuous loud noises, he wants to be held real close until it ends. Anyone of us are only to happy to do it. But I do think that this dog has brought us right to the edge of insanity. We are now spelling in front of him. Words like "beach" "bus" "blanket" "scratchies" and more. If he hears the word, he goes crazy. Those are things he loves.

Oh yes. Our fur covered friends are definitely members of the family and we should treat them as such. :angel:

My oldest son showed up unexpectedly today, with his lady and their two children. He evidently expected his dad to drop everything and assist with an oil change for his car. Considering the amount of trouble hubby has had with his apnea mask lately, I'm not surprised he left my son disappointed and in search of an old high school buddy for help instead. After that, I had half a dozen boys, in their early 20's, hanging out in the driveway with their toddlers - too funny. It was good to see them all; its been years. Good for a new year's day. :D

Sweet story, MichelleMarie! Do you mind if we nickname you MM, or whatever else you might prefer?

I need a grin eraser. Just a beautiful day in the 'hood!

Last edited:
Gosh are we the only ones who watched the Rose Parade today? I've always loved watching it here at 8 AM live. Spending my whole life in this area, I've never been there in person, but one year we went down to see the beautiful floats parked where we could inspect them for days after the parade.

We've had a lazy day today with me watching old movies by dead people. Love really old movies on Turner Movie Classics. Today it was 1937 "Stage Door".

Nope, I mentioned a few posts up that I was watching it this morning, too. :flowers: Never miss it. It will be so strange not seeing Bob and Stephanie hosting the Rose Parade next year, after ALL these years! :ohmy:

Last edited:
My oldest son showed up unexpectedly today, with his lady and their two children. He evidently expected his dad to drop everything and assist with an oil change for his car. Considering the amount of trouble hubby has had with his apnea mask lately, I'm not surprised he left my son disappointed and in search of an old high school buddy for help instead. After that, I had half a dozen boys, in their early 20's, hanging out in the driveway with their toddlers - too funny. It was good to see them all; its been years. Good for a new year's day. :D

A visit like that always brings back memories of when they were just kids hanging out. It is always a good feeling to have the young people hanging around. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom