What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The struggle is real. ;-)

Attachments

• procrastination.png
    procrastination.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 122
Listening to Pirate rave and carry on about our new Mr. Coffee maker. A new one was desperately needed. Now for the new waste baskets and kitchen pantry cabinet to arrive sometime today. :angel:

Back from 2 1/2 weeks vacation in So Florida, Deerfield Beach area north of Ft Lauderdale. Thank you DC friends for maintaining the good life all the 50+ weeks of the year and providing a play ground for us snowbirds. Why yes, I did wear a hawaaiin shirt with my pale skin and bald spot prominently exposed. Did I stick out much. Possibly. Probably not too much. We were 2 blocks from the ocean which was ok w/ me, and not close enough for her even though there was a pool just outside our front door and a gas grill too. We ate out more than usual, and why not, it's vacation. I brought more books than I could read and didn't bring a lap top this year. I should know better. Watching the super bowl and celebrating Valentines day out of town is surreal.

My main concern coming, going and in between was taking care of the kids at home, specifically my oldest cat. Well all of them really. She's approx 16, going pretty blind, unsteady/ off balance and bumps into things. My 75 y/o BIL took care of her and Dx's 10 year old dog. We figured they would all be about the right speed for each other and he was agreeable. These two kids love each other and always have. BIL on the other hand, knows little about kid-care. So the dog ate the cat food, after we had explicitly explained Feed in Separate Rooms. No, the cat does not go out just because he feels she might want to when he feeds the squirrels outside his back door. He said she went in circles on his back steps, At least she didn't make a bee line someplace. The dog is too old to chase squirrels and he said she went around in circles too. But then, she rarely lifts her nose from the snow as she sniffs and creates tracks in the snow. That’s not going in circles, that’s normal. O well. We are home and so are they. What he wants for payment for baby sitting is 14 times cribbage games from each of us, not consecutive days, so there’s about a half year of weekends. A nickel a point. He’s a pretty shrewd player.

My younger, 4 y/o, went to cat-camp, i.e board and care. I couldn’t quite tell how she is-- either mighty happy or she just shook off her tail feathers after getting out of her cat carrier once she landed back in her own living room again. Both girls gave each other a once over sniff smell and lick test and went into separate rooms. I'm so happy the oldest still knows how to raise her tail straight up and walk like a proper lady when she needs to show that she's still got it together. By bed time, they were right back at home on my bed and later curled up on the same pillow on the sofa. I haven't used a board and care facility previous when we have gone out of town, so it was new to me too. Twice daily "snack time" followed by regimented 15 minute cuddles. They also advertised exercise time, or individualized play time. I didn’t request any “specials. I don'no. She probably caught onto the snacks pretty quick but I think she likes to choose her own snuggly times, which is probably when they were busy enforcing someone else’s play time. What I mostly didn’t know, is they are licensed, in a person’s home in a regular neighborhood, for pet care, bedrooms / spaces divided, cutesy but not too cutesy, lots of toys, frequent litter box changes, the house did not smell, and I have done plenty of flea checks, and so far clean as a whistle. I haven’t seen any ear scratching beyond normal, so far. Oh, and I had to provide current shot documents. “El amor en los tiempos del cólera” without the benefit of travel and no passport necessary. They don’t know how easy they have their vacations. New adventures and no waiting in airports.

That type of confusion is what happens while I am catching snippets from the different TV's while passing medications to my patients. I thought it was neat that I recognized Swagger....didn't catch what group they were showing at the time...:)

I used to show dogs, so that's why I get all exact about it. I knew the woman who owned the Westminster Best in Show in 1989. That was Sue Korp and she trained in Obedience with my trainer. Her dog was Indy.

And not everyone can pick one dog out from another at a show. That was pretty neat.

He was dead on the Grammy show I was watching too. "...they did a nice job with the BB King tribute."

Nice back pedal there. :LOL:

Last edited:
DH and I are on our way to our first beekeeping class! We're going to get bees to pollinate the garden! At least, that's DH's main goal. I don't mind having some free honey, too!

He has a friend from work who has been keeping bees for a few years now who said he would help him harvest it. I don't mind leaving most of it for the bees for the winter, but I don't think they'll miss a few quarts.

Welcome back, Whisk - I enjoyed your story! Bet the kitties are glad to be back in their own home. :)

Have fun at your class, GG! Let us know how it goes, I bet it's very interesting.

It's 6:40 AM here and I'm on my first cup of coffee. I am SO not an early morning person by nature, but I'm going to Tyler's last basketball game which starts at 8. :wacko: If anyone can get me up, showered, dressed, and out the door by 7:45, he can. :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
I'm prepping for a wedding cake tasting tomorrow. It is the first one I have done in a few years and I am surprisingly a little nervous! The bride really loves my cake and is super stoked that I am doing hers. I guess I feel a little pressure to make it perfect. But I am trying to not let those thoughts in.

Today I am doing lemon chiffon, chocolate genoise and whipped cream (white) cakes, lemon curd and strawberry mousse fillings, and fondant. Yesterday I did banana chiffon cake and buttercream.

I hear ya, CG. When DH and I go to Costco thrice yearly, he meanders, and his phone is off. I can't easily find him. When I'm done shopping, I'm done shopping. No, I don't want to look at polo shirts and mens pants. Just want to bag up my food and toilet paper and go.

I had a few things to get at the grocery store. Once we were done wandering the produce section (the one that takes me the longest time - almost half the time I'm in the store), I told him "I need this, that, and one more thing. I'll meet you by the sushi". And then could not find him. :glare: Finally shows up, picks his "reward" for coming with me, and heads in a completely different direction. Since we had my car, I always have the keys in my purse. Had he not made it to the front of the store by the time I checked out, he was in danger of missing his ride! Our Market Basket must have a Cone of Silence over it, because no one can use their phone in there.

Got to wait some more in Lowe's, my post earlier. At least I checked email and Facebook with their WiFi.

Oh, and my $50-$55 dollar grocery trip? $87. :LOL: Gotta love him. Really, I gotta love him. He's getting Social Security deposits. ;)

Last edited:
I recently had brunch and made a new discovery. On my sourdough bread I had some goats cheese but it needed something else to offset the cloying taste. (I know a common accompaniment is caramelised onions). I tried it with mango chutney - bingo!! :yum:

When I go shopping with my daughter and their families, I'm the one guilty of doing the dilly dallying. :D I do keep my phone turned on though, so they can keep track of me. One time I had the ringer set too low and didn't hear it, and got paged through the Home Depot intercom. :LOL:

Taking a lunch break from container planting. So far I've planted spinach, flat leaf parsley, chives, green onions, and radishes. Hopefully Home Depot will soon have the tomato seedlings I'm waiting for.

When I go shopping with my daughter and their families, I'm the one guilty of doing the dilly dallying. :D I do keep my phone turned on though, so they can keep track of me. One time I had the ringer set too low and didn't hear it, and got paged through the Home Depot intercom. :LOL:

Ha...back in the day the store intercom was very busy..."Joey is at the front desk looking for his Mom" That oldest son drove me bonkers.

Taking a lunch break from container planting. So far I've planted spinach, flat leaf parsley, chives, green onions, and radishes. Hopefully Home Depot will soon have the tomato seedlings I'm waiting for.

The SC came home from Home Depot yesterday so excited with two tomato plants loaded with blossoms in gallon containers. He's not a patient man. :rolleyes:

Kay, I'll have to get down to Home Depot today before Tyler gets here, hopefully they'll have their tomatoes in. I mentioned 'seedlings' but they're usually about 8" tall, pretty bushy, and have blossoms on them. I get patio tomatoes - they don't get really tall, but they produce well. I wish I had room for in-ground 'mater plants, but the back yard is mostly lawn and the front yard doesn't get enough sun because of the trees, so I have to do container gardening.
Here's to a good, productive tomato year for all! :yum:

What do you use for keeping those nasty hornworms away? :sick: I usually just watch for them every couple of days and when I see one, I cut off the leaf it's on and throw it in the yard for the birds. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom