What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grumble. You California girls. We have a few more months before even thinking about tomato planting!

As far as hornworms, I just pull them off and stomp on them. They're hard to spot, so vigilance is needed. Best to get them while they're small. Sometimes I can get to the eggs. The adult moths are cool, they look like hummingbirds.

Last edited:
Grumble. You California girls. We have a few more months before even thinking about tomato planting!

As far as hornworms, I just pull them off and stomp on them. They're hard to spot, so vigilance is needed. Best to get them while they're small. Sometimes I can get to the eggs. The adult moths are cool, they look like hummingbirds.

I don't have the stomach to stomp on them and have their guts stuck to my shoe. :sick: :LOL: They are masters of disguise, aren't they? There's been many times I've seen chomped leaves, looked and looked, only to find one right in front of my eyes. The moths ARE cool looking - they're so huge.

I heard of a "natural" way to keep bugs off plants. It was on a Canadian gardening show. You take the bugs, with a few of the leaves. You put them in the blender with some water. Then you strain the liquid and use that as bug spray. The insects will give off pheromones that let other bugs know that it's dangerous. Yeah, kinda gross, but supposedly it works well.

Last edited:
Bacillus thuringus is a caterpillar-cide. It's a naturally occuring fungus that's lethal to caterpillars, but not to anything else. It's mixed with water and sprayed on.

Since I only plant a few tomatoes, I prefer the inspect-pull-stomp method. I wear plastic garden sandals that are easily rinsed.

I heard of a "natural" way to keep bugs off plants. It was on a Canadian gardening show. You take the bugs, with a few of the leaves. You put them in the blender with some water. Then you strain the liquid and use that as bug spray. The insects will give off pheromones that let other bugs know that it's dangerous. Yeah, kinda gross, but supposedly it works well.

I'd be willing to try that Taxi if I can use your blender.:LOL:

For some reason, the SC and I have never seen Hornworms or any damage from them.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to try that Taxi if I can use your blender.:LOL:

For some reason, the SC and I have never seen Hornworms or any damage from them.

Whoa, are you ever lucky, Kay! I wonder why that is? If I don't keep up on watching for those nasty critters, they would eat my tomato plants down to nothing. :ohmy:

I'm finishing up the last of my supper while listening to the basketball game. When the food is gone, I can move on to the York peppermint patty minis I bought while running errands today. After Andy and msmofet brought them up in my "Spice Problem" thread, I've had a taste for them. Yorks bought, problem solved! :yum:

What do you use for keeping those nasty hornworms away? :sick: I usually just watch for them every couple of days and when I see one, I cut off the leaf it's on and throw it in the yard for the birds. :)

I just don't have the answer why but, we've never seen those things on our tomato plants. I remember seeing those nasty worms on my grandparents plants when I was a kid here in this town. I wonder if it could have something to do with our plants being so close to the navel orange tree?

Last edited:
I've got the Zac Brown Band playing on Youtube while I play online tonight. This was the first time I thought of streaming music when I work on the computer. Usually I'm watching TV, but if I want music, I bring my phone up and play one of the discs I have loaded into my music app. This is nicer - new music!

I've got the Zac Brown Band playing on Youtube while I play online tonight. This was the first time I thought of streaming music when I work on the computer. Usually I'm watching TV, but if I want music, I bring my phone up and play one of the discs I have loaded into my music app. This is nicer - new music!

Kewl. I play Pandora a lot when I'm doing stuff on the computer, and when I'm doing stuff around the house. I have a small Bluetooth speaker that I connect to my phone so I can listen to podcasts or music.

I like Pandora too, and usually have it on for background music when I'm on the computer. I like how you can choose up your own playlists and shuffle them. Listening to Carole King's "Tapestry" right now. :)

DH went grocery shopping after tennising. I got a call, he'd locked his keys in the car. No problem, I'd just deliver his spare key. Problem, the spare key was not in the usual spot. I tore the house apart, but it was nowhere to be found. He called a couple locksmiths, no answer, apparently they don't work on the weekends. Thankfully he has a friend who works with the sheriff's dept., called him, and was able to finally get into his car. Disaster avoided!

DH went grocery shopping after tennising. I got a call, he'd locked his keys in the car. No problem, I'd just deliver his spare key. Problem, the spare key was not in the usual spot. I tore the house apart, but it was nowhere to be found. He called a couple locksmiths, no answer, apparently they don't work on the weekends. Thankfully he has a friend who works with the sheriff's dept., called him, and was able to finally get into his car. Disaster avoided!
Don't you have AAA? Glad there was a happy ending.

Don't you have AAA? Glad there was a happy ending.

:Slaps forehead: Duh! Didn't even think of AAA!

Our sheriff friend borrowed the door opening thingy from the same business that AAA sends out. DH probably got quicker service that way.

Update: I found the spare key in my backpack, from our last trip. I put it there in case my purse got stolen, but didn't put it back on the rack :blush: DH is not going to let this die...

Glad you found your spare key, Dawg. :) It's sure handy to have a few copies around.

Nice 'cool' morning here - 70F right now but supposed to get up to 85F today, so I've been working in the yard before it gets hot. Got my tomato seedlings planted in larger container pots, fertilized, and set on the sunniest part of the patio. I've got a 6'x6' area in the front yard that gets good sun so I pulled the lavender out that isn't doing very well and fixin' to scatter some assorted wildflower seeds in there. Hopefully they'll do well.

There's a bunch of fallen pinecones in the front yard, but I think I'll get Tyler to gather those up for me this afternoon. He likes to help. :)

Trimmed the vining vinca against the side of the house in the backyard - it's been sending out long leggy vines where I don't necessarily want them, but it's also blooming nicely. Hoping to start seeing some ladybugs soon, they love that plant.

Fixed another cuppa coffee and now it's back to work outside. :)

Dropped my car off at the dealer. I've been having a dead battery problem. The local garage gave it a "thorough check-up" and assured me everything was fine. A couple of days later it failed to start again. So now I'm calling in the pros.

Fortunately, we have SO's car. I have had chauffeuring duties recently as she won't be driving on her own for a while.

You've been such a busy bee, Cheryl! Someone has to sit around and do nothing in order to maintain a balance in the world, so I've been holding down that job today. ;)

We'll be out to vote later today, on our way to the car dealer. You may have seen an earlier post of mine referring to my car, "Sally", getting a recall notice. Well lucky, lucky me - Sally IS one of the Sonatas that has metal particles that were left behind in the engine. *sigh* I'll be without my car for a while - could be until next week, might even be for a month. At least my car with 50,000 miles will have a brand new "heart". No matter how long it takes, I will be getting a loaner car for free. Normally, the car they loan you is similar to the car you own. Somehow, I was able to sweet-talk the parts guy into getting the service adviser into loaning me one of their SUV vehicles to I can check out in case I would like to get one when I eventually replace Sally. Right now it would be the bigger Santa Fe. If I'm really lucky, the smaller Tucson will be back in stock by the time we get there and I'll get that one. As much fun as I like driving my Sonata, I really do miss the height factor and the cargo room my old Dodge Grand Caravans gave me. Hoping the Tucson is in-between. It would be perfect.

You've been such a busy bee, Cheryl! Someone has to sit around and do nothing in order to maintain a balance in the world, so I've been holding down that job today. ;)

We'll be out to vote later today, on our way to the car dealer. You may have seen an earlier post of mine referring to my car, "Sally", getting a recall notice. Well lucky, lucky me - Sally IS one of the Sonatas that has metal particles that were left behind in the engine. *sigh* I'll be without my car for a while - could be until next week, might even be for a month. At least my car with 50,000 miles will have a brand new "heart". No matter how long it takes, I will be getting a loaner car for free. Normally, the car they loan you is similar to the car you own. Somehow, I was able to sweet-talk the parts guy into getting the service adviser into loaning me one of their SUV vehicles to I can check out in case I would like to get one when I eventually replace Sally. Right now it would be the bigger Santa Fe. If I'm really lucky, the smaller Tucson will be back in stock by the time we get there and I'll get that one. As much fun as I like driving my Sonata, I really do miss the height factor and the cargo room my old Dodge Grand Caravans gave me. Hoping the Tucson is in-between. It would be perfect.

Rut roh :ohmy: I've been sitting around a lot today, too. I hope someone else has been busy so that balance continues to be maintained :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your slick, tall ride! I :heart: my Ford Escape Hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom