What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got done filing my State and Federal taxes on Turbo Tax and I feeling good!

I am hoping you had an extension. Here we are in the middle of August. I am just tickled pink knowing you didn't use H&R Block. I hesitate to say anything disparaging, but I cringe every time I hear of someone going to them. :angel:

I am hoping you had an extension. Here we are in the middle of August. I am just tickled pink knowing you didn't use H&R Block. I hesitate to say anything disparaging, but I cringe every time I hear of someone going to them. :angel:
If H&R Block in the US is like it is in Canada, it's the luck of the draw. Some of the tax preparers are incompetent or just don't care. Then there are the ones who like doing income tax and might do a better job than most accountants. (Because most accountants don't like doing income tax. They just do it because it's part of the job.)

What I was referring to was passing along wrong information and thus costing the client a lot of money in deductions. My neighbor upstairs had taken on three stepchildren. Then during the course of the marriage, added three of his own. H&R every year told him that he couldn't claim the step kids. I got the instruction booklet that every filer receives and highlighted the paragraph giving him the correct information. I then helped him file an amended claim for the affected years and reported the offending H&R office. They were closed down and assessed a large fine.

I realize that a lot of the folks do this just for some extra money. But why should the customer be penalized for their laziness. Me, I always loved bookkeeping. My only type of math that I could comprehend. :angel:

DD had a snake problem too recently. One managed to somehow get into the pool cage. I told her one of the screens is loose but she swears they are all tight... Anyway, she is deathly afraid of snakes and most reptiles, though she loves turtles, chameleons and poison dart frogs (go figure), which is weird, gets even more weird because when she was a young tween she liked snakes and used to chase after the "uzzies" when she was little. DD's DH wasn't home and wasn't going to be home for a while when she saw the snake and the oldest GD was standing by the sliding door shrieking and saying she wasn't going out there until it was gone (they take the dogs in and out to potty thru the pool cage area). DD decided she was going to have to woman up and shoo the snake outside because she was afraid the snake would hide somewhere in the cage and they'd never know when it was going to pop out if she didn't get rid of it. Between a push broom and the water hose she finally managed to get it out the screen door but it took her a while because the snake was being very uncooperative according to DD.

A funny store about DD and snakes. As a teenager, it was often quite difficult to get her up and going in the morning (something parents of all teens are familiar with). One morning I was having a lot more trouble than usual getting her up and we needed to be somewhere. At the time, Craig had quite a collection of Emerald Tree Boas from babies to adults. So, I went in her room, sat down on her bed, as she was pulling covers back over her head, took a couple of my fingers and pushing down on the covers went slithering up her body like the Emeralds moved, saying good morning from Mr. Snake. She catapulted out of the bed, shrieking at the top of her lungs. I pretty much ended up on my butt on the floor between her getting out of the bed like that and laughing so hardI was crying. All it took was the threat from then on.

I've never had a problem with H&R Block.

I have. I had the simplest of self-employed tax return and they assured me I qualified for the Obama stimulus package. I payed them something like $220.00. I'd done my own tax returns before this, but wanted to have everything in order for that stimulus package. I then go to the site to retrieve that stimulus package benefit and find out H&R didn't do their math right and I didn't qualify for the stimulus package, after paying them $220.00. Thanks a lot H&R Block, you block heads. I should have tried doing it myself.

Last edited:

Oh yes, of course, I filed an extension earlier in the year, and no money owed. I just get lazy with filing my personal returns after filing a partnership return plus all the 1099's for the independent contractors on time earlier in the year.

I tried Tax Act (H&R Block) once and just could not go through with it. The software was not user friendly at all at the time. That was like 5 years ago.

I use Taxact, and really like it. It does have a few perplexing glitches that have caused me to pull my hair out a few times, but once I figure them out, it's very quick and easy. I've used it for at least 8 years.

I didn't realize it was an H&R Block product.

Last edited:
Medtran, do you and Craig still raise Emeralds?

No. Besides the fact that the market kind of dried up when the bottom fell out of the housing boom and available extra cash became extremely tight, they are very time consuming to care for if done properly, especially if you have multiples. Craig got busy doing other things and the snakes weren't and never were my passion so I'd take care of the babies when we had them (smaller, gentler hands since Emerald babies spines are very fragile and more patience if we had to be taught how to eat), but I really had no interest in spending the time necessary to take care of the adults all the time. We slowly sold most of the collection, had a couple of females die because they became egg bound (they bear live young, but carry the eggs inside until birth when the babies break out). He kept a male and female, but the male just recently up and died on us, no idea why, he had eaten okay just recently, and acted okay up until the a.m. we found him at bottom of his cage.

If you are asking because you or somebody you know want one, I can check and see if any of the good breeders we knew are still in the biz and give you some names.

That's sad. No, we don't need a snake, (we have plenty here outside, apparently) but I remember Craig mentioning years ago one of your Emeralds being pregnant. I like snakes, but apparently DH doesn't. Also, I have a feeling that the kennel where we board Beagle during our trips would have a heart attack if I brought in a snake.

I didn't realize our native corn snakes here are constrictors, and are also sold as pets.

Last edited:
That's sad. No, we don't need a snake, (we have plenty here outside, apparently) but I remember Craig mentioning years ago one of your Emeralds being pregnant. I like snakes, but apparently DH doesn't. Also, I have a feeling that the kennel where we board Beagle during our trips would have a heart attack if I brought in a snake.

Yeah, she was one of the ones that died from being egg bound. She was gorgeous too. She was actually one of the ones that got named, Velvet, and her skin/scales looked just like shaded emerald/dark green velvet. She was a sweetie too. She was wild caught but never tried to bite even once.

That's one of the good things about Emeralds, they don't have to be boarded unless you are going to be gone for longer than 2 weeks, even up to a month if they are a well established adult. Just feed them right before you leave, change the water in their bowl so they have fresh water and off you go. We always had somebody come in at least once a week just to check on things and make sure the heat in their cages was working okay (that was before they all went into 1 room we could close off from rest of house and open a window) and nobody had a messy cage, but even that wasn't really necessary.

Gack! Just picked some more tomatoes, and saw a hornet hole in the lawn. Have been nailed by those little evil nasty things before while mowing, so once it gets dark, I will hit them with my best shot with the spray.

Gack! Just picked some more tomatoes, and saw a hornet hole in the lawn. Have been nailed by those little evil nasty things before while mowing, so once it gets dark, I will hit them with my best shot with the spray.

Maybe those are the holes I've been seeing in the south side yard...awful dry there, should I flood it?

Maybe those are the holes I've been seeing in the south side yard...awful dry there, should I flood it?

If you see active hornets in the holes, flooding would only make them angry. (As does mowing...). Best to use hornet spray after dusk, when they're sleeping.

Hornets were very active in the hole in our yard.

I am celebrating!

Finally!! My kitchen along with a new handle for the fridge, is done! Except for the floor. That is next week and I don't have to move anything big. Everything is on wheels except for the pantry cabinet. I can sit in my home and even take a nap if I so choose. It only took forever. Yea! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom