What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It soon time for bed, I am trying to calm down but it isnt working and my beloved clay pot died at a lovely age of 50 years old.

Condolences CakePoet. How very sad. for bread? or more like a Romertopf?
May it rest in peace. I know very well how it upsets to lose a favourite.

My sister has just passed on my mother's Romertopf to me and I have not even used it yet. Still perusing recipes. Looking at 2 Cornish Hens in the freezer...

DH is happily screeching at the US Open. Apparently Jackovitch forgot to get a pedicure, and stopped the match while he was losing in order to take care of his toe hangnail. DH is highly annoyed. It's amusing, but annoying at the same time. Thankful that we have His and Hers TVs.

Last edited:
I should get a Her TV...football going in the living room while He is on his computer in the dining room playing You Tube videos...

Last edited:
PF, you must get a Hers TV! Mine is out in the sunroom. DH has his choice of the one upstairs (which I would prefer he'd use) or the one in the family room (right next to the sunroom, not preferred by me, I can hear every screech.). He's also a world-champion whistler, which adds to the annoyance.

Last edited:
PF, you must get a Hers TV! Mine is out in the sunroom. DH has his choice of the one upstairs (which I would prefer he'd use) or the one in the family room (right next to the sunroom, not preferred by me, I can hear every screech.). He's also a world-champion whistler, which adds to the annoyance.

I guess I could put it out in my shed. I don't want one in the bedroom.

You know that whitish haze you see on blueberries? Well that is wild yeast. The same goes for grapes and other fruits and veggies. :angel:

It is not wild yeast, it's called the "bloom" and is a waxy protective coating the blueberry creates itself to stop bacteria and moisture loss. It is safe to eat.

Yeast is a spore, not a coating.

Condolences CakePoet. How very sad. for bread? or more like a Romertopf?
May it rest in peace. I know very well how it upsets to lose a favourite.

My sister has just passed on my mother's Romertopf to me and I have not even used it yet. Still perusing recipes. Looking at 2 Cornish Hens in the freezer...

Yes it is Römertopf and it was from the early 60:ties not 70:ties, it was for my grand aunt birthday.

I do roast in mine. Soak the pot for 1 hour. 3 pound pork roast, add a bit of salt, ground allspice and black pepper on top and then some broth or wine. Lid on and into a cold oven and turn to 150C and bake for 2- 3hours. That sort of my basic roast.

OK, those aren't so much scary looking as much as they are pretty cool! That one in the lower-right corner made me think of a Queen Ann's Lace flower right away. I was first thinking that they would look more like this:

virus-cartoon-23034159.jpg

I grew the majority of my onions from plants this year, and they are huge. As I was reviewing the characteristics of these monsters, I realized they are not good storage onions. So, what to do with the 100 beasts I have grown? Then I remembered making caramelized onions in the crock pot. I am on my second batch and will probably do many more batches.

A little late here to probably help you. But here goes anyways.
I was going to suggest making onion rings with them.Flavor seal them and freeze. That could still be a possibility if you want to make them up and give them away to your friends.

My last idea is almost the same but using much much thinner slices and batter. You could make up Onion Salad Toppers. Batter, fry, flavor seal them, date, and store. I've done it many times. Original batter. Or hot using Franks Red Hot Sauce. Either one is a hit around here. I like snacking on them. Hubby loves them topped on his salads.Our guys like the hot version,they have no shame and really pile them onto the melted cheese when they want a cheese burger. :yum:

Catching up on some reading around here.
You know it's like trying to catch a bus that's going 90 MPH on the California Freeway.
Good luck....SUCKER....!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Today's weather was tantalizingly beautiful. Still rather hot, but the humidity took a hike and I was enticed to spend the majority of the day outside...even a good amount of time in the pool.

One thing I had to attend to was the huge mesh bag full of dried eggshells that I have collected over the last month or so. Use them in the garden, crushed, to make the tomatoes, peppers, etc. really happy and had no instance of blossom end rot when I treated the soil around the plants. Let's hear it for calcium.

Anywho, I had a bag about the size of a standard large paper grocery bag...full (stuffed) of eggshells. Needed to make room in the bag.

So, outside I went. Took my trusty rolling pin and a handful of plastic bags from cereal boxes. I save those because they're great for dredging, etc. The seams are well-sealed and those bad boys are tough.

I whacked and rolled away and ended up with a clean lard bucket about a third of the way full, about 5 to 6 cups of coarsely chopped shells.

Only took a few minutes and confused the daylights out of the dog.

Back
Top Bottom