What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my nose deep into Swedish church books. It's the main source for doing genealogy of Swedish ancestors. They have a Xmas special at ArkivDigital that lets me use their full service, including the indexes for a month. That subscription is usually only for a full year and more than I want to spend. If any of the folks here with Swedish ancestry want to check this out, let me know and I'll send the link for the special.

What am I doing?

Laundry, laundry...and more laundry! I'm finally getting around to washing up the summer quilts, the summer curtains, all of my normal change-of-seasons wash-and store routine. I also ran across five short-sleeved summer shirts for Himself. Apparently he never noticed they were missing because he has so many darned shirts! I swear the man could go a full month and still have clean ones hanging in the closet.

Got a bit more Christmas decorating done, too. Our house is slowly transforming to Christmas mode, just like a Progressive commercial going to almost all white...

Been running around like crazy here the past couple of days, too. Got my Christmas tree, have been decorating it and the house, wrapping presents, mailing off cards...trying to get as much done as possible before Tyler is on winter break - hopefully either his mom or dad will get some time off for the holidays so I won't have him full time. Love him to pieces, but....:ohmy::LOL:

Kinda wears you out, eh Cheryl? Maybe Tyler is really the Energizer Bunny in a Tyler costume...

Got the bigger of our two Alpine trees up and decorated - a five-footer. I have a collection of Hummel Christmas "ball" style ornaments that were given to me by my Mom from the year we were married (1974) until the year she had her triple (or was it quad?) by-pass surgery, 1990. I used them as a valance over the kitchen window in our first house, stringing them on narrow velvet ribbon in orderly lengths to form a "V" shape hanging. When we moved to House 2, I didn't have a kitchen window. Except for the first couple of Christmases here, they've been boxed up every Christmas. I decided to put them on the tree that I put up in our sun room, which is basically my neighbor Darlene's tree - she sees it more than I do! :LOL:

Spent a good part of the day playing in the kitchen. I put up a quart crock of dill pickles to brine - a Christmas gift for Loverly, along with a recipe card with what I think replicates my Dad's long-lost dill pickle recipe. Himself is in charge of creating a label for the jar. Also made a batch of apple butter. Started with nearly six pounds of apples. Filled the 6-quart slow cooker with finely chopped apples. Ended up with about three pints of apple butter. Pack some into a nice, squat jar with a bailing wire lid as a gift for Goober, another pint for us, and what didn't get spilled onto the counter (lost my grip on our pint jar...) was put into a Tupperware container for immediate use. Ended up with about a cup on the counter...a freshly washed counter. :huh: Put some ice cream in bowls, scooped the apple butter off of the counter, and topped the ice cream with it. :yum: Shhh, it's our little secret.

Deer 0 - Subaru 0 - PF 1

I managed to kill a deer and a car before 6 am this morning. I'm fine, Subaru took a big hit. Been on the phone with tow companies, Insurance Agents, Car Rental...have had about 2 hours of sleep since yesterday at 2 pm. Should know tomorrow if it's totaled or not.

I managed to kill a deer and a car before 6 am this morning. I'm fine, Subaru took a big hit. Been on the phone with tow companies, Insurance Agents, Car Rental...have had about 2 hours of sleep since yesterday at 2 pm. Should know tomorrow if it's totaled or not.
Oh no! At least you are fine. I hope this gets straightened out soon and well.

Are you getting any of the deer meat?

Truly sorry that happened to you but, pleased you are ok...
Unfortunately, its pretty common in my town... :(

Ross

What am I doing? I'm sitting on an airplane flying home from Charlotte, after working today in Forrest City, NC. I flew in last night, and was very happy to fly out today. I did actually have a good lunch at the Charlotte airport, but the rest of my time in NC sucked, as it always does. Bad hotel (spent 116 bucks to sleep in a worn out bed -- my neck still hurts), road rage drivers, fast food haven... the "good" places in NC from my observation are no better than Applebee's. Probably better on the NC Atlantic coast, where you can get fresh seafood that doesn't come from a place called "Fatz."

Sorry, maybe I should have posted this in the "Petty Vents" thread. I've just never had a good experience in the Carolinas. I can say that NC is at least a little better than Alabama.

I am going to be very happy to see my kitchen, when I get home. That, and drivers who may not be the best, but don't drive like they want to kill each other. I didn't get involved in any of that crap, but I saw things that made me wonder if all these drivers just got fired and found out their spouses were cheating on them on the same day.

CD

Last edited:
PF 1, thank God.

Dh also hit a deer, last week, mostly body damage to the car, DH is fine, adjuster gave us a check for the body work, no internal damage on the car, deer meat. It was 2 am and he was on his way home from work.

I'm on day three of fermenting sausage, about 10 lbs, the rest of the deer is canned and steaks are frozen.

It's always such a shock to hit a deer or to have a deer hit your car. I hit one 10 years ago and it freaked me out and I lost some confidence on the road after that. I also hit the deer on the way home from work. The deer I hit, bounded, ironically, into the cemetery. Seemed like an appropriate place for the deer to die.

I was on a jury duty once for a guy that was drunk, on his motor cycle, going home from the bar, and the deer hit him (no damage to the front of the cycle, only the side). DUI, guilty or innocent? The guy or the deer? Or both. :ohmy:

I managed to kill a deer and a car before 6 am this morning...
Oh My Gosh, I'm glad you're fine, albeit very shaken. If one of you had to be the casualty, better the deer than you. :innocent: I hope things go smoothly with fixing/replacing the car. You might want to consider a different kind of car accessory going forward:

westin_hdx_grille_guard_new.jpg

This is the car, and push bar on my DH's vehicle. It saved it from internal car damage but not from damage to the grill, headlight, fender, hood, or door. It did make the difference between internal damage and totaling the car, and just getting body work done. That being said, the insurance company will not replace the damaged push bar, only the body work. So if he was to hit another deer, no push bar, no protection.

interceptor_sedan_push_bumper_gorhino__37127.1501104927.500.500.jpg

:ohmy: Oh my gosh....so sorry to hear about this...the deer, the Subaru...and especially you, princess...so glad to hear you are OK! Holy cow....sending thoughts and prayers.....!

It's been an experience, all right! Had to tell Shrek the venison and Bambi jokes were a bit too soon. At least the deer died outright and did not suffer.

When I totaled my car in August, the insurance company low-balled me with an amount for the car. I did some online research for the same car/year/model and sent links to the insurance company showing higher prices. They came back with $2,500 more to give me the price I had justified.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom