"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Master Chef
I am staying home and enjoying the company of my dog. It is just too much to be driving around at night with all the other folks on the road. Plus, the roads tend to be icy and snowy this time of the year and I just feel safer staying home. I bought some munchies (shrimp skewers, cheese, salami, and crackers, etc.) to enjoy.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon
We were supposed to spend it at our friends' house, but James didn't feel well and we stayed home. We ate ham, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and rocky road ice cream for supper. Then we watched the time count down online and had our midnight kiss. Then we watched the 3rd Mission Impossible movie. I missed watching the ball drop in New York, but we no longer have satellite, and the local stations weren't coming in tonight, but other than that, it was a good New Year's Eve for us.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
We unexpectedly had quite a few people over. We did nibblies and games all evening. Had a couple of younger kids who were pretty cranky so my daughters were so helpful and kept them entertained. I am so grateful to have such caring kids.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Master Chef
we went to a buddies where a few people were. there were margaritas & daquiris, non-alcholic for the kiddos, a few snacks. a couple brought thier 2-month-old baby, so i held him & fed him most of the nite. he snoozed & snoozed. :)
was me & jake's 9th anniversary, we weren't trying for reservations, so last nite was chix for me & meatloaf sammich for him. we're going for an early dinner this afternoon, then cooking pork roast later on.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Hope everyone had a spectacular New Years Eve and rested on New Years Day.
Mark Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
Master Chef
The party our friends threw was wonderful. We've been to some good ones in the past, but this was the best. Yes, it does help that it is within walking distance ... we don't have to deal with what my husband calls "amateur drinkers" on the road, unless they actually run us down. It was the first time in years that I was wide awake, kicking, eating, and still socializing at 1 a.m. Hubby and I were determined not to leave early, which took some planning (ironically, going out to lunch, a bit of a hike back and forth at sub-freezing temps) left us both able to take an afternoon nap. A friend from France had bought us a can of pate that was way too big for just the two of us, and told us to share it, so I had no cooking to do. It was all so lovely.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote