"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
For my son transformers, lego, a couple cd's, and a surround sound for his play room downstairs. For my niece's very fuzzy pillows that plug into a radio and the music comes through a speaker in the pillow. For my mom I'm making her some home-made cranberry orange muffins just cause she loves them and can't find them out by her. I'm not sure about Don or his parents yet.

And I am an organ/blood donor myself Bucky :o)

middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
Vera, wow - you've been busy! I had to read your post twice, first boyfriend then husband - then I remembered he was an "x". I thought you were mightly bold to have both and then talk about it.
Well, for what it's worth, there's been no talk of divorce in any of the marriages, ahahaha. Out of the 6 adults involved, Lou is the only one who's divorced. I'm not divorced and neither is my husband. His girlfriend is not divorced and neither is her husband. Her husband's boyfriend would love to get married, but the country is having difficulty with that little topic right about now. There's plenty of time for legalities. All any of us want for each other, including our original partners is that we all get to be happy.

And people wonder why my home is referred to as 1313 Mockingbird lane!

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Our house is quite similar Vera. In fact my ex (though we aren't divorced) is coming for Christmas. He's staying 4-5 days with us. We see Mr HB's ex and new husband all the time.

omg, it's so much easier this way and the kids are the only ones who think it's odd...but they really love it.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #14
Master Chef
Girl, I gotta say, I love ya!

My husband and I have both been married twice before, making this the third marriage for both of us. We've had all kinds of interesting family gatherings.
I'd have to say his daughter's wedding was one of the gems. Kim's first ex-wife has been married a lot more that he has, and all of her ex-husbands, their wives and kids were invited to the wedding, All of the in-laws and out-laws were there as well. But the daughter announced that this was her wedding day, and anyone causing any trouble, would be kindly asked to leave.
And no one did. All went smoothly, except they didn't know what to do with me and the first ex's live-in boyfriend, so they sat us together on the left side of the front row. We got along great, because we could just kinda sit back and laugh at the rest of them.
Now, my daughter is married to a guy who's been married 3 times, and had a kid with each wife, so I have two step-grandsons.

I could go on, but it would sound too much like a soap opera.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well now, was I supposed to start shopping already? No one told me!

Shopping around here is pretty easy - DH and I exchange a few simple things, son wants money, money, money, niece wants money, money, money, adults just get together and enjoy each other's company.

My husband and I belong to an organization that will be doing some cooking for the homeless among other contributions to other charities. I've got coats I've already donated and a bunch of clothes (I'll never be that small again - EVER - so I finally let them go!!!!).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #16
Master Chef
Well, it may not mean anything to some, but to others, it is the best thing that I have to give!!! And that is my LOVE!!! U can call me corny, or call me a cheap scape... but that is the best gift to get and give....

but I would have to say that after reading through this thread, I would LOVE to be on some of your Christmas lists!!!!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Me and sattie are cut from the same cloth because I too prefer to give my love. Sure I'll buy some presents, but my best thing to do is just give love and appreciation to those I love.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #18
Head Chef
This year was pretty easy. Gave money to our daughter and 2 sons. New homes, need a lot of stuff that they can pick out for themselves. We have 2 young granchildren and will buy whatever their mother has figured out that they will like. We are traveling to them by plane, so will purchase the gifts there. We also contribute to gifts for the needy through our church.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #19
Executive Chef
once again, we purchased goats through Heifer International for all our family members. Since we all are older, they really seem to appreciate not receiving gifts and having that money contributed to the less fortunate.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:36 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
beth, you give goats?!? do you get a cow or chicken on your birthday? lol, j/k.

vb, i'm gonna have to meet this extended family of yours soon. they all sound like very cool people. i can usually tell if my ex-gf's are around by the laser spot on my chest or forehead.

i like sattie's and ambuh's gifts the best so far. could always use a little love.
it's funny, every year dw asks me what i want for christmas, and since i don't need a thing, i'd always respond "just be extra nice to me this year. a little love goes a long way".

i end up getting crappy gifts.

so far, dw has asked for a new coffee maker, another coach handbag, and some broadway tickets. she's also getting a basket of l'occitane en provence L'OCCITANE en Provence - Holiday Gifts from Provence - Skin Care & Fragrances, Body & Hands, Bath & Shower - usa.loccitane.com skin creams and stuff; some fauncy parfum, not eau or toilette but the real stuff in tiny bottles; and the ubiquitous piece of jewelry, probably silver from tiffany.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote