"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-11-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What are you GIVING this holiday season?

i was thinking that we already have threads for what we're cooking and what we want for christmas and hannukah, but what are you giving others this year? and are you done shopping for it yet?

i'm not only looking for gifts, especially kitchen-ey ones, but also, what charities are you donating to, as well as what volunteering you might be doing.

so far, my little guy is getting a little sit-in school bus thing that has a bunch of games built into it, and a "thomas" wooden railway and table. he's also getting a magna-doodle, a radio control "scoop" from bob the builder, and a few other things.

i'd really like to volunteer at something, but my schedule is so hairy that it's difficult to find the time. if nothing else, i'm going to start donating blood again. and, in the spirit, since i had to re-up my driver's license, i signed up for organ donation. awaiting the paperwork to find out which part of me they'll need. (i sure hope i'm done with it, first. lol, a la monty python )

sorry, gotta run, busy at work. will fill in more details later.

whatcha giving this holiday season?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
Executive Chef

When I'm a rich woman and can stop working for the man, I would love to volunteer. I was a candy striper when I was a teenager and usually ended my day feeling very good about myself. I'd return to that, again, when I have more time.

I've got an unusual extended family. Gifts are always unusual, as well.

My boyfriend won't spend a dime on improving his immediate living condition so he's getting a new set of sheets with all the matching accompaniements, right down to towels for the bathroom. He's also getting a new stereo with better pickup power.

My son is getting a weekend trip to Hunter Mountain complete with lift tickets for two days and breakfasts.

My daughter is getting clothes clothes clothes. She's a girl after my own heart.

My husband is getting two tickets to the Big Game Bash at Blue Smoke Restaurant in NYC. It's on superbowl sunday. 4 different chefs will do cooking demonstrations, open bar supplied by grey goose vodka and a vineyard I forgot the name of. Then, seating to watch the game.

His girlfriend is getting a case of wine.

Her husband and his boyfriend are getting two tickets to Brunch at a restaurant in the city.

There son will get a cookbook.

What do you think?

Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Vera, wow - you've been busy! I had to read your post twice, first boyfriend then husband - then I remembered he was an "x". I thought you were mightly bold to have both and then talk about it. Bucky, sounds like your little guy is going to have a good time Christmas morning.

My shopping is done and wrapped. I did not purchase anything "special" this year, just listened throughout the year to people's "wants" and bought that way. I'm sure the things I bought are special to them though.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm pretty much done with the buying too... not the wrapping though.

The only special things I'm doing this year are aprons for my two aunts. I'm doing embroidery on them using my Grandmothers collection of threads. She gave them to me right before she died. I haven't been able to use them until now but, I think this is a good reason to pull them out.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
We will be donating food and treats to our local Humane society for all the unfortunate 4 legged friends.

We also had a Trader Joe's recently open in our area so my friends that love to cook are getting baskets of new items which include Black lentils, different rices, truffle oils, olive oils, red and yellow tia curry sauces, vinegars, red, black and grey sea salts, olives and vinegars. It's kind of a culinary adventure to see what they can make with them.

Merry Christmas,

JDP
Old 12-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Executive Chef

90% of the presents I give are either books, gift certificates, savings bonds or cash.

The granddaughter and nephew receive savings bonds and a toy. They have so many toys and 'stuff' that I think they'll appreciate the car that they can buy from the bonds when they're going off to college.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
Executive Chef

This will sound very un-charitable, but this holiday will be for the 2 of us. I'm going there, he's coming here, and we get a long weekend in Montreal. I have a cold room full of canning for everyone else.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

I volunteer at the Salvation Army and the Goodwill Store and I love the looks at the children as they pick up their toys.

I also read to the children at Saint Joseph's Hospital in Burbank, CA.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Nothing too huge here. I'll be getting my mom and her husband a box of the greatest dark praline chocolate. Welcome to Leonidas Famous Belgian Chocolates My sis and her fiance will be getting a subscription to Fine Cooking as well as this Olivewood Cheese Board Don't know about my hard to shop for dad. dh and I haven't been getting eachother gifts the last few years. I know Aidan will be getting a superhero cape and a wooden train set and I'm sure Callum will be getting buttloads of toys. dh will be collecting for Toys for Tots this weekend, Aidan will go pick out a gift to donate. They have a giving tree at our local bookstore that we'll donate to as well.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Besides what we give to the church for Christmas, I took Cade,Ethan,Carson to the mall and let them each pick a name of a child in need from the Christmas tree, we are busy trying to get those little ones a dream Christmas..It's been hard with me sick, but my girls bless them have helped us to get just about everything done..All we really have left is to pick up 3 turkeys, stuffing mix, veggies and rolls and a basket and even the kiddies parents can enjoy with them.
Of course my little guys are getting what they have asked for as well as my kids, but the main thing is that I'll have all four of my children here as well as my six grandchildren and my DH..What could I ask for? That's right NOTHING !
kadesma