What are you GIVING this holiday season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was thinking that we already have threads for what we're cooking and what we want for christmas and hannukah, but what are you giving others this year? and are you done shopping for it yet?

i'm not only looking for gifts, especially kitchen-ey ones, but also, what charities are you donating to, as well as what volunteering you might be doing.

so far, my little guy is getting a little sit-in school bus thing that has a bunch of games built into it, and a "thomas" wooden railway and table. he's also getting a magna-doodle, a radio control "scoop" from bob the builder, and a few other things.

i'd really like to volunteer at something, but my schedule is so hairy that it's difficult to find the time. if nothing else, i'm going to start donating blood again. and, in the spirit, since i had to re-up my driver's license, i signed up for organ donation. awaiting the paperwork to find out which part of me they'll need. (i sure hope i'm done with it, first. lol, a la monty python :))

sorry, gotta run, busy at work. will fill in more details later.

whatcha giving this holiday season?

Last edited:
When I'm a rich woman and can stop working for the man, I would love to volunteer. I was a candy striper when I was a teenager and usually ended my day feeling very good about myself. I'd return to that, again, when I have more time.

I've got an unusual extended family. Gifts are always unusual, as well.

My boyfriend won't spend a dime on improving his immediate living condition so he's getting a new set of sheets with all the matching accompaniements, right down to towels for the bathroom. He's also getting a new stereo with better pickup power.

My son is getting a weekend trip to Hunter Mountain complete with lift tickets for two days and breakfasts.

My daughter is getting clothes clothes clothes. She's a girl after my own heart.

My husband is getting two tickets to the Big Game Bash at Blue Smoke Restaurant in NYC. It's on superbowl sunday. 4 different chefs will do cooking demonstrations, open bar supplied by grey goose vodka and a vineyard I forgot the name of. Then, seating to watch the game.

His girlfriend is getting a case of wine.

Her husband and his boyfriend are getting two tickets to Brunch at a restaurant in the city.

There son will get a cookbook.

What do you think?

Vera, wow - you've been busy! I had to read your post twice, first boyfriend then husband - then I remembered he was an "x". I thought you were mightly bold to have both and then talk about it.:LOL: Bucky, sounds like your little guy is going to have a good time Christmas morning.

My shopping is done and wrapped. I did not purchase anything "special" this year, just listened throughout the year to people's "wants" and bought that way. I'm sure the things I bought are special to them though.

I'm pretty much done with the buying too... not the wrapping though.

The only special things I'm doing this year are aprons for my two aunts. I'm doing embroidery on them using my Grandmothers collection of threads. She gave them to me right before she died. I haven't been able to use them until now but, I think this is a good reason to pull them out.

We will be donating food and treats to our local Humane society for all the unfortunate 4 legged friends.

We also had a Trader Joe's recently open in our area so my friends that love to cook are getting baskets of new items which include Black lentils, different rices, truffle oils, olive oils, red and yellow tia curry sauces, vinegars, red, black and grey sea salts, olives and vinegars. It's kind of a culinary adventure to see what they can make with them.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

90% of the presents I give are either books, gift certificates, savings bonds or cash.

The granddaughter and nephew receive savings bonds and a toy. They have so many toys and 'stuff' that I think they'll appreciate the car that they can buy from the bonds when they're going off to college.

This will sound very un-charitable, but this holiday will be for the 2 of us. I'm going there, he's coming here, and we get a long weekend in Montreal. I have a cold room full of canning for everyone else.

I volunteer at the Salvation Army and the Goodwill Store and I love the looks at the children as they pick up their toys.

I also read to the children at Saint Joseph's Hospital in Burbank, CA.

Nothing too huge here. I'll be getting my mom and her husband a box of the greatest dark praline chocolate. Welcome to Leonidas Famous Belgian Chocolates My sis and her fiance will be getting a subscription to Fine Cooking as well as this Olivewood Cheese Board Don't know about my hard to shop for dad. dh and I haven't been getting eachother gifts the last few years. I know Aidan will be getting a superhero cape and a wooden train set and I'm sure Callum will be getting buttloads of toys. dh will be collecting for Toys for Tots this weekend, Aidan will go pick out a gift to donate. They have a giving tree at our local bookstore that we'll donate to as well.

Besides what we give to the church for Christmas, I took Cade,Ethan,Carson to the mall and let them each pick a name of a child in need from the Christmas tree, we are busy trying to get those little ones a dream Christmas..It's been hard with me sick, but my girls bless them have helped us to get just about everything done..All we really have left is to pick up 3 turkeys, stuffing mix, veggies and rolls and a basket and even the kiddies parents can enjoy with them.
Of course my little guys are getting what they have asked for as well as my kids, but the main thing is that I'll have all four of my children here as well as my six grandchildren and my DH..What could I ask for? That's right NOTHING !:)
kadesma

For my son transformers, lego, a couple cd's, and a surround sound for his play room downstairs. For my niece's very fuzzy pillows that plug into a radio and the music comes through a speaker in the pillow. For my mom I'm making her some home-made cranberry orange muffins just cause she loves them and can't find them out by her. I'm not sure about Don or his parents yet.

And I am an organ/blood donor myself Bucky :eek:)

Michelemarie said:
Vera, wow - you've been busy! I had to read your post twice, first boyfriend then husband - then I remembered he was an "x". I thought you were mightly bold to have both and then talk about it.:LOL:

Well, for what it's worth, there's been no talk of divorce in any of the marriages, ahahaha. Out of the 6 adults involved, Lou is the only one who's divorced. I'm not divorced and neither is my husband:LOL:. His girlfriend is not divorced and neither is her husband:LOL:. Her husband's boyfriend would love to get married, but the country is having difficulty with that little topic right about now.:wacko: There's plenty of time for legalities. All any of us want for each other, including our original partners is that we all get to be happy.

And people wonder why my home is referred to as 1313 Mockingbird lane!

Our house is quite similar Vera. In fact my ex (though we aren't divorced) is coming for Christmas. He's staying 4-5 days with us. We see Mr HB's ex and new husband all the time.

omg, it's so much easier this way and the kids are the only ones who think it's odd...but they really love it. :LOL:

:LOL: Girl, I gotta say, I love ya!

My husband and I have both been married twice before, making this the third marriage for both of us. We've had all kinds of interesting family gatherings.
I'd have to say his daughter's wedding was one of the gems. Kim's first ex-wife has been married a lot more that he has, and all of her ex-husbands, their wives and kids were invited to the wedding, All of the in-laws and out-laws were there as well. But the daughter announced that this was her wedding day, and anyone causing any trouble, would be kindly asked to leave.
And no one did. All went smoothly, except they didn't know what to do with me and the first ex's live-in boyfriend, so they sat us together on the left side of the front row. We got along great, because we could just kinda sit back and laugh at the rest of them.
Now, my daughter is married to a guy who's been married 3 times, and had a kid with each wife, so I have two step-grandsons.

I could go on, but it would sound too much like a soap opera. :ermm:

Well now, was I supposed to start shopping already? No one told me! :ohmy:

Shopping around here is pretty easy - DH and I exchange a few simple things, son wants money, money, money, niece wants money, money, money, adults just get together and enjoy each other's company.

My husband and I belong to an organization that will be doing some cooking for the homeless among other contributions to other charities. I've got coats I've already donated and a bunch of clothes (I'll never be that small again - EVER - so I finally let them go!!!!).

Well, it may not mean anything to some, but to others, it is the best thing that I have to give!!! And that is my LOVE!!! U can call me corny, or call me a cheap scape... but that is the best gift to get and give....

but I would have to say that after reading through this thread, I would LOVE to be on some of your Christmas lists!!!! :LOL:

Me and sattie are cut from the same cloth because I too prefer to give my love. Sure I'll buy some presents, but my best thing to do is just give love and appreciation to those I love.

This year was pretty easy. Gave money to our daughter and 2 sons. New homes, need a lot of stuff that they can pick out for themselves. We have 2 young granchildren and will buy whatever their mother has figured out that they will like. We are traveling to them by plane, so will purchase the gifts there. We also contribute to gifts for the needy through our church.

once again, we purchased goats through Heifer International for all our family members. Since we all are older, they really seem to appreciate not receiving gifts and having that money contributed to the less fortunate.

beth, you give goats?!? do you get a cow or chicken on your birthday? lol, j/k.

vb, i'm gonna have to meet this extended family of yours soon. they all sound like very cool people. i can usually tell if my ex-gf's are around by the laser spot on my chest or forehead.

i like sattie's and ambuh's gifts the best so far. could always use a little love.
it's funny, every year dw asks me what i want for christmas, and since i don't need a thing, i'd always respond "just be extra nice to me this year. a little love goes a long way".

i end up getting crappy gifts.

so far, dw has asked for a new coffee maker, another coach handbag, and some broadway tickets. she's also getting a basket of l'occitane en provence L'OCCITANE en Provence - Holiday Gifts from Provence - Skin Care & Fragrances, Body & Hands, Bath & Shower - usa.loccitane.com skin creams and stuff; some fauncy parfum, not eau or toilette but the real stuff in tiny bottles; and the ubiquitous piece of jewelry, probably silver from tiffany.

Back
Top Bottom