"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Moderator

We bought two big bags of candy at BJ's. Not as much as we used to because we always have leftovers and we really don't need bags of candy sitting around the house.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll be buying my usual mini candy bars (on sale this week at Giant Eagle, too !), but I don't get any trick or treaters

I'm not sure if they ever trick or treated in country areas... you would think someone would load up the haywagon with kids or something... but I've never seen any or had any at my house. I figure between school, private parties and the thing they have in town, that must satisfy the kids and parents.

Obviously, with things being different than they were when a lot of us were kids, Halloween is one holiday I wouldn't mind if they tweaked and left it up to the parents to put on something for the kids they know. Just keep the private parties and school stuff. Of course, I'd still like the candy to go on sale though

Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Full sized candy bars to the four kids that come to our house. Just don't have kids walking the countryside any more. :(
Old 10-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'll be buying my usual mini candy bars (on sale this week at Giant Eagle, too !), but I don't get any trick or treaters

I'm not sure if they ever trick or treated in country areas... you would think someone would load up the haywagon with kids or something... but I've never seen any or had any at my house. I figure between school, private parties and the thing they have in town, that must satisfy the kids and parents.

Obviously, with things being different than they were when a lot of us were kids, Halloween is one holiday I wouldn't mind if they tweaked and left it up to the parents to put on something for the kids they know. Just keep the private parties and school stuff. Of course, I'd still like the candy to go on sale though
Sadly, I agree with you.

Trick or treating is a thing of the past.

I am glad I grew up before helmets, play dates, hand sanitizer, cell phones and social networking.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Helmets, lol.

You see a man riding a bicycle today not wearing a helmet and it's, "What's wrong with this picture? How did I ever survive learning how to ride a bike?" Oh, I remember, I kept my balance, lol.

That said, I went through a mountain bike riding phase and do have a helmet somewhere (and the shorts, lol).
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Helmets? We didn't need no stinkin' helmets!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

a bike helmet? lol, i grew up playing hockey without wearing a helmet.

we made up 75, er, 73 little bags of tootsie rolls, lollipops, smarties, and jawbreakers for the cub scout party. i thought it was last week but it's this thursday night.

for halloween itself, dw is picking up cupcakes from mr. cupcakes, a specialty store that makes gourmet cupcakes, for my son's party and parade at school. we also bought several bags of chocolate bars and other candy to hand out to those who come to our door. i'm estimating around 150 kids this year.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

no trick or treaters in my park. only ones i get are my own great granddaughters. that is mostly so i can see their costumes. i certainly will make them something good to eat. i don't need candy in the house. i think many parents are scared to let their kids go out.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
Master Chef

I don't know, probably nothing. Most of the local kids go to the shopping mall, because they have a few hours of activities for them. In the last few years, we haven't had anyone.... last time was 2008.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sadly, nothing. Before Glenn and I married I lived in a very old house with Buck. Some years we had well over 100 ghosties and goblins.

However, Glenn and I live waaaaaaaay out in the country, which means the houses are very far apart and most of them don't have any young children or none at all. So...no goodies. That's a sad thing for me because I always enjoyed eating the leftovers. Oh, wait..........I bought some candy just so I could eat it. Well, it's an excuse.

The best we can hope is that some of the grandchildren will come to haunt us. For that, we'll be ready.