What are you handing out for treats this Halloween?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trick and treating was innocent good fun in small town upstate new york when i was a kid. we knew most of the people whose houses we went to for treats, knew where the best candies were to be had, who was good for homemade sweets, who handed out money, and the ones who would give each treater a piece of fruit.:( it was a festive time, we were invited into the living room where the hostess would ooh and ahh over our mostly homemade costumes, elaborately guessing who we were dressed up as, and who we really were. at most of the houses, a separate table was set up with halloween goodies, cider drinks, and fun party type toys. back then, halloween tricks were pretty tame and limited to waxing and soaping of windows, some egging and toilet papering, and a few smashed pumpkins in the streets. it was many years later before stories began surfacing about poisoned candy, razor blades in apples, and abductions. loose candy, popcorn and peanuts, homemade cookies and bakings, and apples and oranges summarily disappeared from the halloween trick or treat scene across the land. surprising enough, the spirit of halloween continues to live on despite obstacles and complications--determined trick and treaters will be knocking on many of our doors come halloween eve, bags extended, eyes smiling, demanding in high pitched voices, "trick or TREE-EET!!".....

I just picked up a few bags of the mini candy bars. I usually have more candy than kids, but I have an elderly friend with a sweet tooth and her care-giver has a few kids, so whatever is leftover goes there.

Our house, although it is within a couple blocks of Main Street, only has a half-dozen houses. Ironically, we have more young children than most blocks in town.

Reese PB cups, Kit Kat Bars, Almond Joy, Mounds, Hershey Bars, Butterfinger, BabyRuth, Nestle Crunch, 100 Grand, Raisinettes, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, M & M Plain, M & M Peanut. My hub goes crazy buying candy!! The kids get like 4 or 5 pieces each.

We also have silly bands and glow bracelets.

I will be making orange and white chocolate lollipops and candies this weekend for only the neighborhood kids we know.

msmofet said:
Reese PB cups, Kit Kat Bars, Almond Joy, Mounds, Hershey Bars, Butterfinger, BabyRuth, Nestle Crunch, 100 Grand, Raisinettes, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, M & M Plain, M & M Peanut. My hub goes crazy buying candy!! The kids get like 4 or 5 pieces each.

I will be making orange and white chocolate lollipops and candies this weekend for only the neighborhood kids we know.

I'm trick or treating at your house, MM!

it's easy to tell that halloween is a very special holiday for you and your hubby. your elaborate preparations will be richly rewarded. you will be ranked highly by scores of kiddies for having some of the best and memorable goodies. like a favorite first or second grade teacher, you will be remembered fondly for a lifetime by your little trick or treaters....(their gonna love the bands and bracelets):):):)

I was amazed last night. I wasn't even out of the shower, when I heard knocks on the door. At the time, all I had to give them were Lifesavers and assorted flavors of hot cocoa. I was surprised how the kids reacted to the hot chocolate. Mark came home with a big bag of mini Snickers, Twix and m&m's. We gave some of those candies out later.

I had mini bags of Doritos, Fuzzy Peaches, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Berries, and then a few assorted chocolate things. Jersey milks, and an M&M assortment.

Because we have so few kids I gave out handfuls, and a bag of Doritos to each kids.

Oh lordy there were some cute ones. A tiny farmer with a plush cow, puppy and tigger were my favorites. They couldn't have been more than about 3 or 4. Soooooo cute!

My oldest had to work, but my youngest went out with all her friends and brought home a boatload of candy. Good thing she is a skinny beast!

img_1065873_0_c3f82b9025e8079d7f01f4a99c096ca6.jpg

We had a large, steel, mixing bowl of mini candy bars and no kids showed up :(

We brought the candies to a a friend's house and she handed them out. It was her housewarming/Halloween party.

the great grandbabies came by to get their halloween bugs. they loved em and each ate one right away. they did turn out cute. beetles, butterflies, snails, bees, all decorated in halloween colors and sprinkles. oh yes, they were chocolate bugs.

Had 16, which is the most we've had in years! Cutest little 3yo pirate, complete with grease paint eyepatch, (clever, so she could see out), lots of Ninjas, a Power Ranger who didn't like the talking skull, and twin 21mo Minnie Mouses in a double stroller.

Now I have about 20 fun size bars left after my Quality Control sampling.

Lol, Tat, my grandpa used to make up bags of Limburger cheese, baby onions, and garlic cloves, and delighted in handing them out.

Last edited:
Due to 90% of our town's being without power, our Halloween has been rescheduled for Sunday, 4:00-7:00. At that time, any candy leftover will be handed out.

We got a lot more kids this year than in the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom