What are you handing out for treats this Halloween?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i know i'm late with this, but i'm wondering what you guys are giving out to your trick-or-treaters this year? besides fun-sized and individually wrapped candies, what else is both safe and kid-friendly to offer? one thing for sure--i'll be buying candy and stuff that i like myself in case of leftovers.:)

Way-back-when, when I lived in a apartment complex, I just gave out the little miniatures of candy bars and tiny packets of candy that are packaged for Halloween goodies.

Now that I live in a fenced, gated property, the kids (and about half the adults) in the area think I'm a boogie man. You should hear some of the stories about me that circulate the neighborhood. Crack-me-up!

I give out little individual cans of Play-Dough, in Halloween colors. This is the third year I've done it, and the kids like it.

I get a package of 80 cans at BJ's for less than $10.

Candy. That's why they ring the doorbells. We buy a big bag of mixed individually wrapped candy that contains over 100 pieces. When we run out, we turn off the lights.

I live in a secure building so I don't get many, if any ghouls and goblins at my door.

I keep a roll of quarters on hand just in case a couple slip through.

That is really for me. I won't eat the leftover quarters but, I would eat the candy!

I'll get bags of miniature candy bars in flavors my family likes (usually chocolate in some form). I remember growing up everyone liked coming to my house. Mom popped popcorn and we'd package it up in waxed paper sandwich bags and add a sucker to bag. It was cheaper than buying candy and fun for us kids to help package up and all the kids on the street loved getting the popcorn. So sad that something homemade would end up in the trash these days.

Mini Snickers bars. We usually don't get many kids, though there are some who are new to our area this year.

I use to fix the little goodie bags so I could just drop one in each bag. But kids here don't trick or treat like they use to. So I haven't brought candy in the past few years....at least not for the trick or treaters.. :pig:

We bought two big bags of candy at BJ's. Not as much as we used to because we always have leftovers and we really don't need bags of candy sitting around the house.

I'll be buying my usual mini candy bars (on sale this week at Giant Eagle, too :)!), but I don't get any trick or treaters :angel:

I'm not sure if they ever trick or treated in country areas... you would think someone would load up the haywagon with kids or something... but I've never seen any or had any at my house. I figure between school, private parties and the thing they have in town, that must satisfy the kids and parents.

Obviously, with things being different than they were when a lot of us were kids, Halloween is one holiday I wouldn't mind if they tweaked and left it up to the parents to put on something for the kids they know. Just keep the private parties and school stuff. Of course, I'd still like the candy to go on sale though :angel:

Full sized candy bars to the four kids that come to our house. Just don't have kids walking the countryside any more. :(

I'll be buying my usual mini candy bars (on sale this week at Giant Eagle, too :)!), but I don't get any trick or treaters :angel:

I'm not sure if they ever trick or treated in country areas... you would think someone would load up the haywagon with kids or something... but I've never seen any or had any at my house. I figure between school, private parties and the thing they have in town, that must satisfy the kids and parents.

Obviously, with things being different than they were when a lot of us were kids, Halloween is one holiday I wouldn't mind if they tweaked and left it up to the parents to put on something for the kids they know. Just keep the private parties and school stuff. Of course, I'd still like the candy to go on sale though :angel:

Sadly, I agree with you.

Trick or treating is a thing of the past.

I am glad I grew up before helmets, play dates, hand sanitizer, cell phones and social networking.

Helmets, lol.

You see a man riding a bicycle today not wearing a helmet and it's, "What's wrong with this picture? How did I ever survive learning how to ride a bike?" Oh, I remember, I kept my balance, lol.

That said, I went through a mountain bike riding phase and do have a helmet somewhere (and the shorts, lol).

Last edited:
a bike helmet? lol, i grew up playing hockey without wearing a helmet.

we made up 75, er, 73 :angel: little bags of tootsie rolls, lollipops, smarties, and jawbreakers for the cub scout party. i thought it was last week but it's this thursday night.

for halloween itself, dw is picking up cupcakes from mr. cupcakes, a specialty store that makes gourmet cupcakes, for my son's party and parade at school. we also bought several bags of chocolate bars and other candy to hand out to those who come to our door. i'm estimating around 150 kids this year.

no trick or treaters in my park. only ones i get are my own great granddaughters. that is mostly so i can see their costumes. i certainly will make them something good to eat. i don't need candy in the house. i think many parents are scared to let their kids go out.

I don't know, probably nothing. Most of the local kids go to the shopping mall, because they have a few hours of activities for them. In the last few years, we haven't had anyone.... last time was 2008.

Sadly, nothing. Before Glenn and I married I lived in a very old house with Buck. Some years we had well over 100 ghosties and goblins.

However, Glenn and I live waaaaaaaay out in the country, which means the houses are very far apart and most of them don't have any young children or none at all. So...no goodies. That's a sad thing for me because I always enjoyed eating the leftovers. Oh, wait..........I bought some candy just so I could eat it. Well, it's an excuse.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The best we can hope is that some of the grandchildren will come to haunt us. For that, we'll be ready.:chris::zorro:

Back
Top Bottom