"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Neat question. As an adult it's interesting that we are still afraid of things. When we're children we always looked up to our parents to "take care" of protecting us from those things that made us afraid. We never considered that our parents had fears, too. Just different than those of childhood. And some of them the same as in childhood, too.

As for me, I can't stand bridges. Can't drive over them. When I'm a passenger, I freeze up. Can't speak. My hands sweat. I can remember, as a child, there was a big bridge we traveled over fairly regularly. As soon as I saw the approach to the bridge I'd hunker down on the floor in the back seat until we were well across it.

I don't know where my bridge phobia came from. I don't ever recall having a bad experience that could be connected to a bridge or bridges. Just me bein' me.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
Senior Cook

That's interesting. I have the bridge phobia too. I dream about falling off of them all the time. I had to get DH to drive me to jury duty because I couldn't deal with the old bridge over the Cumberland River. I can drive over most of them, but not the old, narrow high ones. I also hate heights and snakes. Eek.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
Ronjohn,
Were you snorkling or scuba diving? I have been on several shark dives (scuba diving) in the Bahamas and it was incredible, I've been dying to go again, but I wouldn't reccomend looking for them while your snorkling.
Both times in Hawaii I was snorkling. I'm pretty much fearless around water (have been most of my life). I grew up as a competitive swimmer, and was swimming as early as I was walking. Much to my parents chagrin, If there was a lake or river around, I was usually going in! (Including my parent's favorite - a jump into the water about a mile upstream of Niagra falls)

Never saw any sharks while snorkling though. An eel or two, some puffer fish, and huge sea turtle in Maui, but no sharks. My wife wasn't/isn't amused when I take off like that.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Something bad happening to my kids, hubby, parents, & the rest of my family, spiders (if you wanna see me have a huge hissy fit & go bonkers, just let me think there's a spider near me), hights, clowns, & last but not least, small dark spaces.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
Head Chef

Being isolated without an escape route. I'm the guy who sat closest to the door in class. I don't ride long rides at amusement parks (I will do most any kind of rollercoaster, though). I even freak out when there are long distances between exits on the interstate sometimes. I'm always looking for an escape route.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #16
Head Chef

In Yosemite Valley there is a trail next to one of the falls that goes more or less straight up. Some of the path is made of steps carved into the rock with a steel railing providing a hand hold to prevent falling over the cliff. Hikers are cooled in the summer by the mist from the waterfall. When my sons were small we all hiked up to the top for a picnic and the younger boy rode most of the way on my shoulders. It was a spectacular day that became a very pleasant memory.

Years later I dreamed that walking up those steps, each hand holding on to an ankle, I slipped on the wet rock. When I reached out with one hand to keep from falling, my son fell over the railing.

Ever since that dream I've been afraid of heights.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Big things...like the Hoover Dam, the Eifle Tower, the Tappan Zee Bridge, ice bergs, the Grand Canyon. The only reason I ever went into the Twin Towers was because there was booze on the top floor.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you want the irrational or the rational fears?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Heights
Spiders or anything with more than 4 legs for that matter
Snakes or anything with no legs except dolphins and manatees
Death
And another vote for clowns. Those things are evil.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I grew up watching Bozo. He wasn't scary. Of course, I'm of Transylvanian descent. Not much does scare me.

BC