"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
One thing I have gotten pretty much over is my fear of spiders. I had a huge tarantula sitting on my shoulder when in the back seat of a car in Hawaii - I mean HUGE! I would not get back in the car until my Dad killed it - it took 45 minutes to hunt that sucker down. Every night for about 3 straight years I woke up on the couch - I'd go back in my bedroom and all my covers and sheets were torn off my bed and the light on. I still don't understand why the light was on if I have no recollection of doing it!

Then I had a fear of dogs after being attacked by a chow. The recurring nightmare was that a dog was biting down on my side and I had to be very quiet and walk very carefully because if I startled the dog it would let go and then I would bleed to death - the dog walked with me while clamped to my side, which I think was strange!!!

I know I have a few fears now but they're pretty boring after walking around with a dog "attached" to me and waking up every morning with my room torn completely apart because I had to look for spiders whilst asleep!!!!!

I have an "edge" fear too kind of - I feel the "pull" of the edge and it scares me.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
As a few have mentioned, I would also say being close to an edge that is high up (vertigo?), also being alone (at night), elevators (minor phobia of crashing down, not clostrophopibic), drowning, waking up in the middle of the night after a nightmare, and this one may sound really silly but I avoid walking on sewer drains (gutters) because I think they will cave in
Amber - my husband is an insurance adjuster - he says don't walk on water meters, the grates in sidewalks, sewer drains, etc. He handles a lot of claims where they slip and people break legs, feet, ankles, etc. Mostly from water meters though. Water meters can be hidden in the grass and you don't notice the lids are broken, crooked, or just non-existent.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye
Being buried alive. I can't stand to even read about it. In fact, I need to stop reading my own post.
That's a good one. That really gives me the yips too. I read the Premature Burial a million years ago and it still haunts me. I guess a couple things scare me. I used to be afraid of heights until I tried crewing for a balloon pilot and went up for my first ride. I'm fine now. In some circumstances I get a bit of vertigo, but that's not fear, just a strange reeling sensation. I don't think vertigo is a fear, but more an affliction of sorts.

BC
Old 10-27-2006, 11:24 PM   #34
Executive Chef

kitchenelf said
Quote:
One thing I have gotten pretty much over is my fear of spiders. I had a huge tarantula sitting on my shoulder when in the back seat of a car in Hawaii - I mean HUGE! I would not get back in the car until my Dad killed it - it took 45 minutes to hunt that sucker down.
Where did that tarantula come from? We don't have them here and it's illegal to bring them in. Are you sure it wasn't a brown cane spider?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe it was - I just described it and someone told me what it was. And guess what wasabi?????? I'm not going to look at a picture to figure out which one it was???? lol (guess I'm not THAT over it!)

It was black and had hairy legs and a hairy body - does that help? And it literally covered my entire shoulder with its legs.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Amber - my husband is an insurance adjuster - he says don't walk on water meters, the grates in sidewalks, sewer drains, etc. He handles a lot of claims where they slip and people break legs, feet, ankles, etc. Mostly from water meters though. Water meters can be hidden in the grass and you don't notice the lids are broken, crooked, or just non-existent.
Ok, so my fear wasn't too irrational! As a matter of fact, my poor dog walked over a snow covered sewer drain (lab, large dog and feet) and his foot was caught which gives you an idea of how large the spacing is between the bars. Smaller critters could fall into these drains!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
frogs and heights for me...
Old 10-28-2006, 12:17 AM   #38
Master Chef

JoAnn L. - I too share that "edge" fear ... I even have problems being in a room with floor to ceiling windows in a highrise office building. I am one guy that doesn't want a coveted corner office!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Darn if I lived in Tampa Bay, I'd have to drive all the way around the bay rather than go over that bridge. I nearly had a panic attack.
I love the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, but it sure is tall.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:36 AM   #40
Senior Cook

I am afraid of being hurt, in any way... and of being incapacitated to the point where someone else has to look after me...

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote