"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2006, 03:48 AM   #41
Master Chef

Ever since I crossed the Atchafalaya Bridge in Louisiana (extremely long and very narrow-not very safe shoulders to pull over to) in rain pouring down so hard that I couldn't even see ahead of me with 2 young children gripping the steering wheel with dear life and praying out loud for help and courage I've been deathly afraid of driving in thunderstorms. If the weather people predict thunderstorms (my main residence is Houston so you know how often that can be) my car stays home and my insurance company thanks me. And if I have bad dreams they usually involve fleeing a tornado---the Wizard of Oz's tornado scene still has my admiration for the tingling sensations it causes to this day.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:54 AM   #42
Sous Chef

I agree there - would rather die then have my brain functioning and my body not be able to do anything - I would rather die then be alive but not living!!! As to the edge fear - its funny I fear the edge of a cliff BUT I want to sky dive - Go figure!!!

Old 10-28-2006, 04:19 AM   #43
Sous Chef

Walking across bridges that wobble and/or that you can see down through / anything having to do with heights, edges, cliffs / Lulu's "downhill hills" especially those on roller-coaster-like rides where one's stomach stays suspended longer than the rest of you / very deep, dark water at night / sharks / the forces of nature in all their glory, especially earthquakes / the thought of an approaching meteor ...
Old 10-28-2006, 04:58 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
with the exception of Coffee, beer or Cigs, my fear/Phobia is Drugs, especialy anything that will mess with my head, Anaesthetics are a Big NO NO!
even stuff I may get from the doctor I have to do a days searching about it before I`ll even consider taking it, and if it says may cause drowsiness on the packet then I`ll refuse to take it. that`s why I don`t like Hospitals or dentists and such. and if I even See anyone smoking or even handling pot or similar, you won`t see me for dust!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:24 AM   #45
Head Chef

Edges/heights. Agree with Michael over not wanting to go near the sheer drop of a facade, especially one made of glass.

A phobia that no-one has mentioned: dogs.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #46
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Dang ! Iam anxious just reading these threads, Don't like boats (being out in the water-can't swim) large dogs, escalators, panic attacks (use to have them- no fun) bridges riding or walking over. Had my first panic attack while driving --30 yrs. ago -haven't driven since- bummer ! I don't even ride well -- the pits.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 AM   #47
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
As a few have mentioned, I would also say being close to an edge that is high up (vertigo?), also being alone (at night), elevators (minor phobia of crashing down, not clostrophopibic), drowning, waking up in the middle of the night after a nightmare, and this one may sound really silly but I avoid walking on sewer drains (gutters) because I think they will cave in
Amber, I'm afraid of elevators for the same reason...I get as close to a wall as I can & hang on to the bar until I'm safely at my destination. I refuse to get in one if I'm alone, I'll take the staris.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Neat question. As an adult it's interesting that we are still afraid of things. When we're children we always looked up to our parents to "take care" of protecting us from those things that made us afraid. We never considered that our parents had fears, too. Just different than those of childhood. And some of them the same as in childhood, too.

As for me, I can't stand bridges. Can't drive over them. When I'm a passenger, I freeze up. Can't speak. My hands sweat. I can remember, as a child, there was a big bridge we traveled over fairly regularly. As soon as I saw the approach to the bridge I'd hunker down on the floor in the back seat until we were well across it.

I don't know where my bridge phobia came from. I don't ever recall having a bad experience that could be connected to a bridge or bridges. Just me bein' me.
Ever since I was a little girl, I would have dreams that instead of driving on the road of the bridge, the car would be balancing on the cables that went all the way to the top.... I still have that dream, and am still very uneasy about traveling over bridges. I have to drive over a bridge called The Tappan Zee every day to get to work. It's over the hudson river, and close to three miles long. I hate it.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
another one I have that I can`t explain rationaly at all (even to myself), is Heights related, I can go up a tower block and look out the window just fine, even stand on a balcony and look down without too much problem, but you try and get me up a ladder! or on a shed roof and ask me to look up, dam it gives me shivers thinking about it, I`m the same watching stuff like that on TV, esp if the cam`s moving too EEK!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I am also a bit particular about the issue with heights. "Looking down" doesn't give me too much of a scare, but for me it is really frightening when I am at the edge of a cliff, or top or a building/tower etc. and look "UP". I feel as if some unexplainable power would grab my hair and suck me down or something.

A few other things I that really scares me

-earthquake. even a tiny one drives me to a sheer panic.
-praying mantis. what a horrid looking creature!
-when Cristiano goes out driving around after being up working all night. I know he is accustomed to it and do it regularly, it really worries me no end.