"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Made 2 stuffings (apple onion pecan and a chestnut mushroom)last week and froze them will pull out today to thaw for tommorow.Today Im making a Pecan Tart,cranberry sauce,sweet potatoes,gravy and a green bean casserole that is made with fresh mushrooms,onion,red bell pepper a little cream cheese and feta.Im going to put some of those canned fried onions on top just for kicks.Tommorow I will heat it all and go to our friends house she is making a ham and a turkey,apple and cherry pie and the rolls
Im glad people have figured out to make most of the meal a day or two ahead sure takes the pressure off on Turkey Day.
I had already pulled the turkey to thaw but then plans changed since we are going to the neighbors so I will go ahead and cook my turkey anyway just to have.Its only about 11# so Im thinking of cooking it in the nu-wave cooker.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
That sounds awesome GB - can you direct me to a recipe or sometime before next Thanksgiving shoot me the recipe?
Me to,Me to,please.No rush.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm getting parts for everything ready. Cornbread is done for stuffing, I won't put it together and bake it until an hour before we leave, I'm worried it will take too long to reheat from cold and we'll be waiting an extra hour. I have the sweet potatoes roasted for a pie, crusts in the fridge, getting ready to cut up apples for the other pie.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Senior Cook

My job this year is the spinach dip, green bean casserole, and a thing we call "Broccolli Bake". For this, I put about 3 layers frozen broccoli, Velveeta Cheese, and crumbled Ritz Crackers into a large casserole dish, and bake for 30 minutes or so. Surprisingly, it's not that bad...I'm not one to eat any processed foods, but I make an exception with this.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I'm preparing myself to deal with my in-laws tomorrow... does that count for anything? I'm making a spinach dip inside a loaf of pumpernickel bread.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Monday I made cornbread and biscuits for cornbread dressing. Cut up all the veggies for that dressing and for my turkey stuffing. The dehydrator dried two loaves of bread cubes for stuffing/dressing. Made our traditional lime/pineapple/cream cheese Jell-O salad and the cranberries. Also roasted sweet potatoes for bourbon mashed sweet potatoes.

Yesterday I baked our yeast rolls and the pie crust for pumpkin pie.

Today I assembled the pumpkin pie and put the turkey in to brine. I'll peel russet potatoes later tonight for regular mashed taters.

All I'll have to do is to assemble the stuffing and dressing and stuff the bird. That never takes very long. While the bird is roasting, I'll bring down my 18-quart electric roaster to cook the sweet potatoes, cornbread dressing and to warm my rolls. I anticipate a pretty lazy day, which is how I like Thanksgiving. I may not even get out of my jammies.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #17
Sous Chef

[quote=layla17;510984]I'm preparing myself to deal with my in-laws tomorrow... does that count for anything? quote]

x2
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm starting the stuffing today and baking all the desserts: gooey pumpkin on yellow cake, pumpkin pie and custard pie. I'll get to the sweet potatoes and green bean casserole tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
That sounds awesome GB - can you direct me to a recipe or sometime before next Thanksgiving shoot me the recipe?
Here ya go.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post

What are you preparing today for tomorrow?
Today I am preparing to stop at Safeway on the way home from and pick up their prepared Ham dinner that I will only have to heat up for tomorrow.