What are your all time favorite aromas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The smell of a new oak barrel that's been toasted on the inside
Fresh ground coffee
Baking bread
Leaves burning in the fall
Indian curry

Hmmm.... I guess most of my favorite smells are somehow related to cooking or fire.

The smell of a new oak barrel that's been toasted on the inside
Fresh ground coffee
Baking bread
Leaves burning in the fall
Indian curry

Hmmm.... I guess most of my favorite smells are somehow related to cooking or fire.

Oh oh folks. Put your matches up on the top shelf. :angel:

You must be on Diltiazem. They just took me off of that, I am happy now I can eat grapefruit and drink the juice again!!

garlic, onions, and peppers browning in olive oil. (not necessarily at the same time, lol, but what the kitchen smells like shortly afer.)

a maple wood campfire, and the steaks cooked next to them.

charcoal grilled chicekn in so many different marinades. frying southern style chicken.

popcorn.

a sugar shack making maple syrup.

roasting peanuts.

strawberries, canteloupe and honeydew melons, mangoes, and peaches at their peak of the season.

floral but astringent chinese tea.

and not food related:

a horse and leather saddle in the rain on a warm summer day.

an old canvas tent - still waterproof - also in the rain.

a well shared doob. doesn't matter if it's raining, lol.

lilac bushes blooming in the spring,

a baby's head.

a frazier fir christmas tree.

the ocean when you first get there.

the back of my wife's neck under her hair during an afternoon nap on the beach: perfume, sweat, coconut sunscreen...

Last edited:
Fresh rosemary....brush against the bush and enjoy the aroma.

Celery and onion....sweating in butter.

From long ago.....the produce truck as it made it's rounds in the summer. You could smell the cantaloupes a block away. We also had a milkman and breadman back then.....:)

buckytom, what's a "doob"?

I need to start a new thread to learn what new soaps I should make this spring.

I have a basement room full of essential oils scents, and some synthetic 'fragrance oils' (like strawberry-kiwi, oatmeal-milk-honey, etc.)

My favorite non-food scents tend to be herbal ones, esp fresh from the garden or lemons, oranges; lavender and lilac are my fav florals

Right off the top of my head, the smell of freshly toasted and ground cumin.

I think doob is short for doobie, given the "well shared" in his reference. Also known as herb rolled into a joint.:cool:

buckytom, what's a "doob"?

I need to start a new thread to learn what new soaps I should make this spring.

I have a basement room full of essential oils scents, and some synthetic 'fragrance oils' (like strawberry-kiwi, oatmeal-milk-honey, etc.)

My favorite non-food scents tend to be herbal ones, esp fresh from the garden or lemons, oranges; lavender and lilac are my fav florals

I never have understood why someone wants to walk around smelling like a fruitbowl. I'd be afraid of drawing fruit flies. :ohmy:

Right off the top of my head, the smell of freshly toasted and ground cumin.

I think doob is short for doobie, given the "well shared" in his reference. Also known as herb rolled into a joint.:cool:

I always wondered what those cub scouts did around the campfire!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

lily of the valley, peaches, cilantro, leather, yeast, ocean, mushrooms, patchouli, geraniums, cumin, bacon, magic markers, old spice, soil, rain, cut grass, pine needles, cucumber, jasmine and honeysuckle, the original coppertone, strawberries in the sun, aliage, gasoline, wood....

Lots that have already been mentioned, plus oil paints & turpentine; the leaves of tomato plants; night-blooming jasmine through the bedroom window; orange blossoms; marigolds; his perspiration on the collars of my late husband's white shirts; his aftershave.

tomato plants, YES! how could i have forgotten tomato plants! there are probably many others, too. and to think that at one time when was contemplating which sense of smell of the five i would give up if i had to choose, i think i gave up smell on the basis that it was the minor sense compared to the others. there is no "minor" sense. most of our significant memories, and therefore emotions, are tied up with our remembered smells and how we feel about them and the people/places/times they evoke....

oof, tomato plants make my skin crawl, almost literally.

i love to grow them, but whenever i weed in the garden around the tomatoes my skin freaks out. i'm allergic to something on the leaves and stems. for several hours afterwards i look like i was a goalie for the dart team. :ohmy:

and lol, aunt bea. that's one line i've never aproached, let alone cross.
my son has never seen me so much as smoke a cigar, and i would never smoke anything, even camping, around cub scouts. it sets an example that can't be undone.
i've seen scout leaders share "scoutmaster tea" (usually iced tea or bug juice spiked with vodka) around the campfire after the kids were asleep in their tents. i won't even participate in that.

Last edited:
Bug juice. I haven't heard that name for KoolAid in years (decades). Brings back memories of Girl Sprout camp in California and Y camp in New York.

oof, tomato plants make my skin crawl, almost literally.

i love to grow them, but whenever i weed in the garden around the tomatoes my skin freaks out. i'm allergic to something on the leaves and stems. for several hours afterwards i look like i was a goalie for the dart team. :ohmy:

and lol, aunt bea. that's one line i've never aproached, let alone cross.
my son has never seen me so much as smoke a cigar, and i would never smoke anything, even camping, around cub scouts. it sets an example that can't be undone.
i've seen scout leaders share "scoutmaster tea" (usually iced tea or bug juice spiked with vodka) around the campfire after the kids were asleep in their tents. i won't even participate in that.

Someday the Chief is gonna really make you sweat, I wish I could be a fly on the wall for some of those future conversations! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom