What are your all time favorite aromas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have to add apple and hickory smoked turkey.

oh baby. i just brought in the legs and thighs after almost 5 hours in the smoker, and they smell incredible!!!

the pastrami has another 2 hours to go. :chef:

lily of the valley, peaches, cilantro, leather, yeast, ocean, mushrooms, patchouli, geraniums, cumin, bacon, magic markers, old spice, soil, rain, cut grass, pine needles, cucumber, jasmine and honeysuckle, the original coppertone, strawberries in the sun, aliage, gasoline, wood....

mildew, bread, pine sol

Last edited:
Coffee
Vanilla
Caramel
Baking - bread and cakes
Chanel No 5 (oddly it didn't suit me when I was younger)
Lavender
Sweet spices - cinnamom, nutmeg, allspice, ginger.
Roast meat

To name a few

Signed - the other MC

Thanks for bumping this one, Vitauta.

A few more -- mint leaves crushed in your fingers, fresh basil leaves, too; wood smoke; a pine forest; potatoes frying, ditto bacon; cinnamon rolls baking; model airplane glue (just a whiff, not a sniff); orange wood; slightly musty books; carnations; fish fresh-caught from a cold Canadian lake - rolled in cornmeal, frying in Crisco in a cast iron pan on a wood stove.

Thanks for bumping this one, Vitauta.

A few more -- mint leaves crushed in your fingers, fresh basil leaves, too; wood smoke; a pine forest; potatoes frying, ditto bacon; cinnamon rolls baking; model airplane glue (just a whiff, not a sniff); orange wood; slightly musty books; carnations; fish fresh-caught from a cold Canadian lake - rolled in cornmeal, frying in Crisco in a cast iron pan on a wood stove.

Not many Florida smells, you sound homesick!

I enjoy all of the smells associated with fall in the north woods, the musty old books, damp wool coats, gun oil, potatoes frying, fresh bread baking etc...

The best one for me though is the smell of sheets that have been dried on the line in the yard.

Love the smells in the country, especially in the spring & fall: Newly upturned black dirt in the fields, morning dew at sunrise, freshly mowed grass, apple blossoms, lilac's, mulberry tree blossoms, harvest time with combining the wheat. My Dh & daughter both have terrible allergies & cannot stand these things, I miss them sometimes.

Sweet, slightly rotting fall leaves- just love the smell

Woodsmoke, especially on clothing-probably a connection with favorite family camping trips as a kid

Any freshly sliced or broken citrus- smells fresh, like sunshine

Wind-dried clothes, but only if they haven't been laundered in anything scented- the scent equivalent of slipping into cool freshwater on a sweltering day (Thanks to PAG for reminding me to stop and smell my clothes yesterday!)

A breastfed baby's head, the second day after a bath so they smell like baby again instead of baby shampoo

Tom kha- something about the combo of kaffir leaf, lime juice and coconut milk together. Every time I eat it I spend a full minute or so first just smelling it, devouring it with my nose.

I could start adding in the smells of various foods cooking, but I think the above are probably my absolute favorite aromas.

Love the smells in the country, especially in the spring & fall: Newly upturned black dirt in the fields, morning dew at sunrise, freshly mowed grass, apple blossoms, lilac's, mulberry tree blossoms, harvest time with combining the wheat. My Dh & daughter both have terrible allergies & cannot stand these things, I miss them sometimes.

I used to love the smell of my parents' apple tree in bloom, but I developed allergies as an adult and now it just makes me sneeze. :(
I can still enjoy hay bales, thankfully!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Citrus in bloom.

The combination of cut grass, pool chlorine and coconut - just screams summer!

That briney, seaweedy sandy smell of the ocean.

Now for the weird ones - swamp muck in the spring time after a rain.

Cool tobacco barn after the sticks of tobacco have been hung, dried and removed.

Old wooden house.

A hat worn by a man I love.

I think all my favorite smells have a direct relationship to good times in my life.

Besides a lot of the things mentioned here already----

The odor you get when you press your nose up against the neck of a horse.
Heaven.

Now, it just goes to show how different we all can be. Sandalwood incense, any incense, really, nauseates me. Mostly because I smell it and think of my druggie ex husband. The entire purpose on incense in the early 70s, I think, was to mask the smell of pot, which is another hated odor (refuse to call it a fragrance!). The sense of smell is a very strong one in your brain and can lead to many memories, more than a photo or a taste.
I never smoked pot when I was a student because the smell when other people smoked it brought me near to vomiting.

I was a bridesmaid at a cousin's wedding when I was seven. I was on my best behaviour but stole the show by fainting. The 13th century church's wood work had been treated for death watch beetle very recently and the smell was awful. Mindful of my promise to be good I made it through the ceremony going, so I was told, greener by the minute. I don't know how I made it to the vestry where the couple has to sign the register but I did and keeled over just inside the door. I came to sitting in the outside doorway with my head between my knees. Not a good omen for the success of the match. Cousin's marriage didn't last but I don't think it was all my fault. :ermm:

Besides a lot of the things mentioned here already----

The odor you get when you press your nose up against the neck of a horse.
Heaven.
Oh, YES!!!!!

Not how you would imagine a horse to smell if you didn't know. (Much nicer than babies - sorry Addie;))

Oh, YES!!!!!

Not how you would imagine a horse to smell if you didn't know. (Much nicer than babies - sorry Addie;))

Now, here's TMI and no one else will believe this----- but horse poop doesn't even smell too bad (not that I'd want to bottle it LOL or track inside my house.)

Dog, cat, cow poop -----all really yucky! Not horse poop.

I have a tiny coil basket that I made from the tail hair of my beloved Justin (It's a horse, guys!). When I want a fix I can always sniff it.

I love the smell of horse.

Lilacs

Lavender

The old Albany County Public Library.

Good cigar and pipe tobacco.

Rain storm

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom