"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Cook

Which one??? We actually host Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. Christmas Day started 17 years ago, when my first daughter was born and we decided that we weren't dragging the kids around on that day. We have 15 or so from both our families. My Aunt always hosted Xmas Eve, but she passed away in 2001 and neither my mother or her sister could do it, so my wife and I decided to keep the tradition going at our house, and it's been great. We have between 12 and 15 from my family. Xmas eve starts with meat pies (my Italian grandmothers recipe that I had to reverse engineer), shrimp, and crab dip. Dinner consists of a roasted whole filet rubbed with S&P, rosemary, and garlic, a locally smoked ham, homemade lasagna (Italian side), homemade peirogie (polish side), mashed potatoes and broccoli puff (wifes favorite). Deserts are mostly brought by our company and my oldest daughter normally makes a fruit pie.

Xmas day has mostly Italians, so we start with fried calamari and smelts, along with some meat pies. For dinner we have the other half of the filet, a capon (wifes tradition), ham, and lasagna. Same with the deserts on Xmas day.

Two truly wonderful days with a lot of family and friends. I can't wait.

Wood Fired Oven (Self Built '08)
70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Nothing fancy. Many years ago, Mom had surgery just before the holiday and was not up to cooking. She had 2 homemade pizzas in the freezer. Dad baked them and a new tradition was born. We have homemade pizza and then everyone brings snacks and cookies and whatever goodies they have to share. It's at my house this year so I'm responsible for the pizza and I've decided to add some pork BBQ to the menu since we have one celiac who can't have the pizza and one diabetic who shouldn't have that many carbs either. It's all set out and people graze all day long while we open gifts and play games and chat.
this sounds like our dinner, this year. we used to just do a brunch. we have people unable to come when the rest can. so will be hearty goodies. i am taking honey bbq wings, chili dip and chips. maybe an egg salad dip . will also bake and take cake pops, just for fun. everyone is supposed to bring a pizza topping, i am taking sausage. so pizza is for later. sounds like fun to me. and a lot less work for the hostess with 20 odd people. i bought a small ham for myself for after christmas. whatever you do, please have a wonderful holiday.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
roadfix, save me a chair between the two tables.
I'm not picky, Roadie. You can save me a spot at the future home of your outdoor planetarium

Great pic.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, and I'm not sure what I'm making for dinner next Sunday yet. It depends on if Cleveland is playing Pittsburgh again or Baltimore again.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelle View Post
Which one??? We actually host Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner.
We usually host one and attend the other, or visa versa. But we always end up doing things both nights.
The Spanish side of my family always observes X'mas on X'mas Eve, whether hosting or being invited.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm not picky, Roadie. You can save me a spot at the future home of your outdoor planetarium
I'll keep my own stash in my man cave, so no worries....
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix
No sit down dinner......just casual finger foods on the dining table and plenty of them to fill the entire table. Most all of my family and guests are happy with this arrangement and there's plenty of variety of food to satisfy everyone.

Similar setup like this New Year's get together we hosted a couple of years ago.
Nice spread, Roadfix! Great idea!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Christmas Eve, corn chowder with Oysterette Crackers for me and son #1. Chowder will be loaded with plenty of salt pork and cream corn along with potatoes and onions. A very basic New England recipe.

Christmas Day, go to eldest child (daughter) on my scooter. (Hope it is not too cold that day.) Must not forget to bring my infamous apple pie. She is serving a prime rib roast. I will make the twice baked potatoes the day before, SIL will pick them up the night before. Daughter will reheat them in the microwave. If I send the pie to her house the night before, there will be nothing left for the dinner the next day. She bought a five-rib roast. One rib for each. I just hope my appetite return by then. I am on a new med, and have absolutely no appetite.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #19
Master Chef

We are going to my SO's aunt's house for dinner. I think it will only be Mark, me, his aunt and two cousins for dinner. She has a lovely home in Bellevue, WA. After dinner, we all sit, have coffee/tea and watch old movies. Later on, we enjoy dessert.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelle View Post
Which one??? We actually host Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. Christmas Day started 17 years ago, when my first daughter was born and we decided that we weren't dragging the kids around on that day. We have 15 or so from both our families. My Aunt always hosted Xmas Eve, but she passed away in 2001 and neither my mother or her sister could do it, so my wife and I decided to keep the tradition going at our house, and it's been great. We have between 12 and 15 from my family. Xmas eve starts with meat pies (my Italian grandmothers recipe that I had to reverse engineer), shrimp, and crab dip. Dinner consists of a roasted whole filet rubbed with S&P, rosemary, and garlic, a locally smoked ham, homemade lasagna (Italian side), homemade peirogie (polish side), mashed potatoes and broccoli puff (wifes favorite). Deserts are mostly brought by our company and my oldest daughter normally makes a fruit pie.

Xmas day has mostly Italians, so we start with fried calamari and smelts, along with some meat pies. For dinner we have the other half of the filet, a capon (wifes tradition), ham, and lasagna. Same with the deserts on Xmas day.

Two truly wonderful days with a lot of family and friends. I can't wait.

this sounds great!!! a lot like christmas that i've known. many of my extended family are italian and polish, so their entries into our family dynamic at holidays is always noted and appreciated.

could you post recipes for what you mentioned, especially the meat pies?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, dinner