"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was gifted with a Salmon filet, wild caught in Alaska by a co-workers husband. Big enough for Shrek and me to have a feast. Smashed potatoes with butter and chives, steamed broccoli and I'll make a small cheesecake with roasted pecan crust.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was gifted with a Salmon filet, wild caught in Alaska by a co-workers husband. Big enough for Shrek and me to have a feast. Smashed potatoes with butter and chives, steamed broccoli and I'll make a small cheesecake with roasted pecan crust.
Years ago I had some friends that lived on Kodiak Island. I used to go there twice a year to bring home some salmon that was caught during the run. I stayed on the back porch and watched from a distance as they caught what the bears didn't. I would bring back a cooler filled with smoked wild salmon. I want to move back to Tacoma.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

Years ago I had some friends that lived on Kodiak Island. I used to go there twice a year to bring home some salmon that was caught during the run. I stayed on the back porch and watched from a distance as they caught what the bears didn't. I would bring back a cooler filled with smoked wild salmon. I want to move back to Tacoma.
I want to move to Tacoma too! Mmmm, fresh smoked salmon, and bears!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I want to move to Tacoma too! Mmmm, fresh smoked salmon, and bears!
You can have the bears all to yourself, and I will share the salmon. Why do you think I stayed on the back porch close to the door. Those Kodiak bears are BIG bears.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

my sis called and nixed my plans to make something interesting for christmas dinner like the leg of lamb, or cioppino, or smoked turkey that i'd hoped for.

i was elected to make the same thing i make for every family gathering: meatballs and sausages. i think they think that's all i know how to cook.

mom is baking a ham, eldest sis is making chicken picatta, youngest sis is making baked ziti, and nieces and nephews are doing the desserts.

since we have excellent ethnic bakeries by us, we're bringing the rye and italian breads.

not sure who is doing appys and salad.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Bucky, if you can afford it, why not surprise her and bring both.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't want to make anyone upset by bringing something that everyone eats while their dish gets ignored.

it's happened before a few times where someone went through a lot of effort to make something special, and it sat untouched because there were other things put out first. then feelings get hurt, and they don't want to make anything for the next holiday, and so on.

it's best to just follow orders.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i don't want to make anyone upset by bringing something that everyone eats while their dish gets ignored.

it's happened before a few times where someone went through a lot of effort to make something special, and it sat untouched because there were other things put out first. then feelings get hurt, and they don't want to make anything for the next holiday, and so on.

I hear ya! I did that a couple of times when I brought my tater salad and the host's was ignored and untouched. The second time her husband asked me to bring it. Even had the nerve to ask me to give my recipe to his wife when she was in hearing distance. I got glares for the rest of the night. But that was fine by me. She has never been one of my favorite people.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

You are a good Brother, my Brother does what he is told, too...he has to, he has 3 big sisters.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i've got 4!

and i have to say that they are the strong women they are because of me. i tortured them in their teen years, especially around their boyfriends.

Tags
christmas, dinner