What are your Christmas dinner plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since Dad came to live with us a few years ago, we have been having Christmas at our house with my sister has come here where we used to alternate. It is just the four of us this time around - my nephew and fiance were hoping to come as a surprise for his Mom and Grandpa, but it didn't work out.

With all our needs and tastes we have quite a buffet for just for people! My sister brings the turkey, regular gravy and two stuffings (one mushroomless for Dad). I do all the vegetables, stuffing and gravy for DH (gluten free), tourtiere, munchies and dessert. I also do a salad, but because Dad can't eat it anymore I am doing a broccoli salad instead of regular because the rest of us love it. Dad supplies a ham and a shrimp ring (ironic because he can't have seafood, but he has done this for years!).

Veggies this year are:
Garlic and green onion mashed potatoes
mashed yam (no marshmallows)
mustard glazed carrots
peas (Dad's and DH's green veg)
Brussel sprouts (Sister and my green veg)

Appies:
Shrimp Ring
Meat and cheese
Cashews (also from Dad)

Dessert:
Mandarin Orange Upside down cupcakes
Whipped Cream
Cool Whip (DH)
Assorted baking.

A lot of food for four people, but it is small amounts as not all of us eat everything!

There will be my son and DIL and me. After being strung along for weeks, the company she works/ed for finally folded this week, but she's got a good attitude considering -- keeping a stiff upper lip, which I don't think will hinder her enjoying our dinner. We'll have ham, green beans w/bacon, cole slaw, creamed spinach, applesauce, maybe deviled eggs. Dessert will be a scoop of vanilla with fresh strawberry sauce (from the farmer's market -- tastes just like wild strawberries) sprinkled with blueberries. And a plate of cookies. Yesterday I made some cut-out cookies shaped like Santa's boot. I'm working on a plan to glaze them with with red icing, white "fur" at the top, then dip the bottom edge in chocolate. They have 3 large dogs so I'm sure they'll know the brown stuff is not the boot sole. :D The dear girl could use a laugh.

Far-sighted? I don't know what kind of sight it has :LOL:

Think... Cleveland v Baltimore... hmmm... Baltimore, Maryland... and I've already gotten crab cakes out of the way... ;)

I'm stumped!

I'd like it if Cleveland beat the Ravens... See what you can do.

I think I used to spend more on holiday dinners than I did for weekly groceries. :chef:
I know what you mean. I think I spent almost twice our usual weekly budget. But our daughter is home from college with her boyfriend, and let's just say he is... um... a good eater. I don't expect many leftovers.

I know what you mean. I think I spent almost twice our usual weekly budget. But our daughter is home from college with her boyfriend, and let's just say he is... um... a good eater. I don't expect many leftovers.

Nothing like a hungry young man. He will probably take small helpings at first, but you can bet he will go back for seconds and even thirds. And still have room for desserts. I love cooking for someone like that. You know all your hard work is really appreciated. :chef:

I'm stumped!

I'd like it if Cleveland beat the Ravens... See what you can do.

I'm doing up a little Maryland blue crab feast.

I hope we don't beat the Ravens. Why start now? We're looking at a top 5 pick :mrgreen:

Yes, bucky. Those look just like fattigmands.

angelwings.jpg

these are kruschiki.

kth, i never heard of fattigmands. are they similar to these?

Since Dad came to live with us a few years ago, we have been having Christmas at our house with my sister has come here where we used to alternate. It is just the four of us this time around - my nephew and fiance were hoping to come as a surprise for his Mom and Grandpa, but it didn't work out.

With all our needs and tastes we have quite a buffet for just for people! My sister brings the turkey, regular gravy and two stuffings (one mushroomless for Dad). I do all the vegetables, stuffing and gravy for DH (gluten free), tourtiere, munchies and dessert. I also do a salad, but because Dad can't eat it anymore I am doing a broccoli salad instead of regular because the rest of us love it. Dad supplies a ham and a shrimp ring (ironic because he can't have seafood, but he has done this for years!).

Veggies this year are:
Garlic and green onion mashed potatoes
mashed yam (no marshmallows)
mustard glazed carrots
peas (Dad's and DH's green veg)
Brussel sprouts (Sister and my green veg)

Appies:
Shrimp Ring
Meat and cheese
Cashews (also from Dad)

Dessert:
Mandarin Orange Upside down cupcakes
Whipped Cream
Cool Whip (DH)
Assorted baking.

A lot of food for four people, but it is small amounts as not all of us eat everything!
I'm on my way Laurie!:LOL:

Yes, bucky. Those look just like fattigmands.

Actually they are called fattigmands bakkelse in Norwegian and spelled slightly differently in Swedish. It means poor man's cake.

There are a number of dishes that start with the word "fattigmands". Most of them aren't cookies.

The Italians have these also. But I don't think they last long enough to give them a name. All I have ever heard them called is "Oohhh yeah. I want some! :chef:

Our plans have collapsed. We were going to visit the in-laws and leave early tomorrow morning. But, I have a bad sore throat and feel like cr*p. I'm not driving 100 kms with snow and other people's holiday cheer.

I have no idea what we will have. Xmas is not a big deal for us. We already had our Solstice party. But, we do enjoy getting together with DH's parents and they celebrate Xmas. Oh well.

I have a friend of several years with whom we share holidays. Neither of us has family near-by, and I do Thanksgiving, she does Christmas, and other holidays we either go out together or flip a coin.

Our plans have collapsed. We were going to visit the in-laws and leave early tomorrow morning. But, I have a bad sore throat and feel like cr*p. I'm not driving 100 kms with snow and other people's holiday cheer.

I have no idea what we will have. Xmas is not a big deal for us. We already had our Solstice party. But, we do enjoy getting together with DH's parents and they celebrate Xmas. Oh well.

Perhaps you will feel better for Boxer Day! :ohmy:

Perhaps you will feel better for Boxer Day! :ohmy:

Addie, you made me giggle. Its Boxing Day. Whether that was an accident or on purpose, thanks for the chuckle to start my day. I had images of Ali dancing in my head!

Our dinner is the standard Christmas fare.

Turkey
Potatoes (NOT mashed if I have the final say)
Stuffing
Wild rice casserole
Green bean casserole
Steamed yellow and green beans with chile/garlic
Joe's coleslaw
Another salad to be named later
Cherry cheesecake
Chocolate tart with peanut butter whipped cream
assorted baking (shortbread, nut roll, gingerbread, krumkake, tea rings etc)

There will also be mulled wine this year. I'm trying out a new syrup recipe. I'll post if it works out.

Back
Top Bottom