"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

What are your goals?

I don't mean new year's resolutions, per se, but what do you want to accomplish this year or maybe in the next five years?

I have very simple ones. Most importantly I want to train one problem out of my doggie. I'd like to drink a little less. I want to learn something new (bought a book on philosophy). I feel I'm doing pretty good on the exercise front for my age. I want to stop thinking my friends are going to reciprocate when I entertain, and simply enjoy the company, since I like cooking.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
Master Chef

My main goal is to make a couple of new friends.

For me the hardest part of getting older is making new friends and losing old friends.

As Kim Williams from Missoula Montana used to say. You have to get out and sell yourself like you were a cabbage. Nobody really needs a cabbage until they understand what a cabbage is. That is tough for me.

The second goal and much simpler one is to weed out all of the old people accumulation of paperwork and get all of my "affairs" in order so that when the time comes I can fly through the express checkout without much if any inconvenience to my family and friends. I hate waiting in line.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

The second goal and much simpler one is to weed out all of the old people accumulation of paperwork and get all of my "affairs" in order so that when the time comes I can fly through the express checkout without much if any inconvenience to my family and friends. I hate waiting in line.
Well said, Aunt Bee. Just this week I returned paperwork to the bank for designating a beneficiary for my bank accounts (such as they are), so, as the nice young man at the bank told me, all my son has to do is go to the bank with identification and withdraw whatever's there, if I haven't spent it on some wild party.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

I need to simply my life and increase quality time I spend with my family and friends. I need to first weed out the tons of material things I've accumulated over the years which are no longer useful to me. That alone will take years.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

lol roadfix. can i have the stuff on your patio?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol roadfix. can i have the stuff on your patio?
Funny you mention that.....I'm thinking about getting rid of half of my outdoor cooking gear after the New Year.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

umm, i was only joking.

ok, joking 'cause i'm 3000 miles away.

my goal for this year is twofold.

buy a new, bigger single family home for my family (we live throughout a small 2 family home now which is somewhat dysfunctional), and survive whatever cutback or departmental change is coming in my job.

both are very difficult, somewhat scary propositions.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I just have one goal. I want to live long enough to be a burden on my children.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
umm, i was only joking.

ok, joking 'cause i'm 3000 miles away.

my goal for this year is twofold.

buy a new, bigger single family home for my family (we live throughout a small 2 family home now which is somewhat dysfunctional), and survive whatever cutback or departmental change is coming in my job.

both are very difficult, somewhat scary propositions.
I knew you were just kidding...

Speaking of a new family home we'd like to down size now that our kids have moved on with their lives. It's been several years since they've moved out. But the house doesn't seem empty because we've got a lot of stuff in it now which has to go.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Senior Cook

For me, after my birthday (1st January) I am going back to the job I quit. I quit because of a personal experience, plus an a** of a manager. Now there is a new manager, I loved the other people I worked with, and there's hardly any work out there. I know I need to get off my butt and work to help my mum out. So, I said to myself., the only way I will go back is if I make something of myself this year.
I looked back on the past year and realised I did nothing. Merely existed. Worked, slept, cooked, drank cider, that's it! So...
Next year, I will save at least 100-200 every month, and I'm going to take me and my Mum to San Francisco. I've always wanted to go, got a friend there, always said I'm going to go, and never did. Had plane tickets at one point, paid for and everything, and yet my mums husband prevented us from going. This year, no one is stopping us.
I have written a list of things I want to do in my life. I will accomplish them. I am going back to an ok job, and I mean ok at best, but it's all I've got at the moment, so I need to make the best of a bad situation. And I will. 2012, turn 20 on the 1st of January, and it's going to be my year I promise.