What are your hobbies besides cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A belated thanks here, Selkie, for posting those fine photos, especially the determined little guy.

And whose pensive orangutan was that - I've forgotten whose, but that's a great shot.

I like to play the drums, play on the Xbox, listen to music, read, go out with my friends, look after our pets (dog, cat, and 2 bearded dragons) and drink cider :)

I love smoking cigars and I do not know if it is hobby but i've build couple of things for my synagogue. Here is a pick of the cabinet where the Torah scroll is stored.

Attachments

• DSC00628.jpg
    DSC00628.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC00629.jpg
    DSC00629.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 145
I love smoking cigars and I do not know if it is hobby but i've build couple of things for my synagogue. Here is a pick of the cabinet where the Torah scroll is stored.

Charlie, that's some good work you did. Looks wonderful.

I love doing needle work, crocheting, and stencil work. Right now I am working on a set of eight place mats with matching napkins for a gift for someone.

I used to love to walk. I would walk for miles to nowhere and then back. But age is catching up on me, so now I go on my scooter.

Right now I am assisting some of the residents of the building I live in apply for food stamps and other programs they are eligible for. I really enjoy seeing their reaction when they get a simple little thing that makes their life easier. I will never understand why their children aren't doing these things for them. It is as if they want their parents to live in poverty.

CharlieD said:

Charlie, that is just beautiful! You're very skilled.

I've become somewhat adept at mycology. Anyone can grow veggies and herbs, when was the last time you cultivated your own shiitake mushrooms?

Cooking and that are the only two real pastimes of mine.

I've looked at some kits for this in catalogs and have been tempted (I have a cool, dry, dark cellar). I've done some foraging, but wouldn't trust myself without an experienced guide. As one of those friends says, "There are bold mushroomers, and there are old mushroomers, but there are no bold, old mushroomers!"

Claire said:
I've looked at some kits for this in catalogs and have been tempted (I have a cool, dry, dark cellar). I've done some foraging, but wouldn't trust myself without an experienced guide. As one of those friends says, "There are bold mushroomers, and there are old mushroomers, but there are no bold, old mushroomers!"

Have you tried foraging for Hen of the Woods, Claire? They're a fall fungus, and there are no poisonous lookalikes.

I've had many hobbies over the years, but in the past decade I've settled on bead-work & cooking. The first has fallen by the way-side this year; I always put the beads away before my first holiday gathering (usually the first Sunday in December) when I'm likely to have young children around; they're just too tempting and pretty and dangerous to swallow. Then early last year I adopted a dog who was very rambunctious (at 16 mos or so, she's calmed). So just when I feel I can take the beads back out, it's time to get ready for holidays again!

I'm not sure if you'd call walking, Zumba and Pilates, and weight work hobbies, per se. A lot of my socializing comes from them, but mostly it is to keep the bear of getting older off from my back.

Reading is my passion, again, hobby doesn't say it all. I've always got at least two books I'm actively reading, and other one or two that I've put away and pull out periodically.

Plus one, for photography. Lots of gear, but my film equipment has started to gather dust. Enjoy traveling, especially roadtrips, but I wouldn't call it a hobby. It seems year-by-year, I play music more. Finding music to listen to has become a chore. I read a lot. I like to write, but I think I was better at it when younger. My current sport of choice is table tennis, but I have no interest in tournaments and ratings. I think I'll take up another new hobby, maybe something totally weird...

I wanted some knit dish cloths and set out to figure out how to make them, (yes I'm a guy). I watched a YouTube video and bought a crochet hook and some yarn. My first couple attempts turned out more like triangles, and I had the wrong yarn. Now I have gotten the hang of it and have made 3 successfully. Now I just need to start counting stitches, so I can make them all the same size, lol.

I'm the type of person that can figure out how to do just about anything and I'm determined to become good at it.

bakechef said:
I wanted some knit dish cloths and set out to figure out how to make them, (yes I'm a guy). I watched a YouTube video and bought a crochet hook and some yarn. My first couple attempts turned out more like triangles, and I had the wrong yarn. Now I have gotten the hang of it and have made 3 successfully. Now I just need to start counting stitches, so I can make them all the same size, lol.

I'm the type of person that can figure out how to do just about anything and I'm determined to become good at it.

Crochet dishcloths are the best! I don't make my own, but get them from MIL and friends.

I have been crocheting since I was about 12 y.o. So I tend to do it fast and find it difficult to slow down to teach someone how to do it.

Well for one, it's a misconception that mushrooms grow in the dark. They use light cycles to trigger fruiting. Many species use a 12/12 lighting cycle for the duration of fruiting. Two, you would be spending a whole lot of money you didn't have to if you bought a ready-to-go kit but I guess they are a little more fool-proof and don't send you off running to 10 different places to get 15 different things. The important thing is your sterile technique and pasteurization process. Mycology is one of the hobbies that the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

I've also wanted to start breeding exotic frogs and selling them at shows around the country. There is serious money in it, like you can sell a sexed, mating pair of poison dart frogs for $3k+.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom