"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Half Baked

What are your hobbies besides cooking?

One of my other interests is Vintage HO slot cars and collectable slot cars from the 60's and 70's.

What's yours? Got any pics?

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

That was my heyday of HO car racing. My track took up most of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. When my parents sold their house I gathered my old toys and sold them to an antique toy collector. I wonder where they are now...

I like guns and I like riding my Street Glide. I guess those are hobbies.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Photography - An expensive hobby that I have indulged in... just because. You could buy a new car with all that I have invested into it! And I guess I'm sort-a-good at it, or at least understanding what a good photo should look like. I keep getting invitations to judge photo contests at the local, county, district and state levels. But I'd rather take photos than judge them. Street photography is my favorite style - unobtrusively capturing people doing things that show part of their character or nature. For me, I've seen enough flowers, streams and waterfalls to last a lifetime. In my opinion, people provide an infinite number of interesting visual opportunities when capturing a moment during which they are just being themselves or openly expressing something we can all identify with.

Flying - until I got sick and had to permanently give up my medical certificate. Now, I occasionally ride along with a fellow pilot and play navigator.

Watercolor Painting - Just for fun and it's another way for expressing myself creatively... not that I'm any good at it, but I try.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Head Chef

I used to dabble in oil painting and lately have been eyeing the board fence in my small backyard. What I'd like to do is a mural with a scene across a pond with reeds, egrets, herons, etc. So far it's only in my mind, but I'm enjoying thinking about it. Using a 2 or 4" brush would be considerably different from the 1/4" brushes I used to use and I suppose would not be cheap to buy paint by the quart instead of by the tube.

Selkie - what was your favorite 'unposed' photo? Could you describe it?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Head Chef

I am a gardener, heart and soul. I don't feel right unless there is dirt under my nails.

Not looking forward to the long dark winter, but I do have houseplants to comfort me til spring.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I have many interesets, but I am not sure how many of them I would call a hobby. I love to camp and hike and do outdoors stuff, but I would not really call that a hobby. I suppose other than cooking, Photography would be my next biggest hobby. Like Selkie, I have sunk enough $ into my photography gear that I could have bought a vacation house with all the money. It is something I love to do. I think I have a very good eye for composition. I am basically self taught so I do not know all the technical aspects, but as with cooking, you do not always need to know why something works to know that it does work and how to use it to get the outcome you want.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Head Chef

When I was a stay at home mom, I had way too many hobbies, and I still have all those supplies in one closet, box, or another. Sewing, tailoring, baking, candy making, stained glass, cross stitch and any needle point type projects, beading, crocheting, quilting, applique, craft projects--gluing things in a shadowbox, calligraphy, scherenschnitte, watercolor, acrylic, silver on gesso painting/drawing, photography (for painting/drawing), traveling-------like I said, too many things.

I still like doing most of them but there is no time when working, and no time when trying to find a job.
Fishing is so relaxing. Gardening and communing with nature (sandhill cranes out in the backyard yesterday), walking when someone will walk with me, and as always, learning new things.
It's fun when I have time, to revisit some of the hobbies. This past month, I taught someone how to do mending, that was quite a feat, and I made some homemade caramels the other day and then caramel sauce for apples.

Cooking is the most fun because we have to eat anyways. This last week it was pasties and Beef Burgundy Stew.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Baking is #1 but I do enjoy taking pictures.

I don't have a lot invested in photography, I got a great deal a few years back on a DSLR, which has improved my ability to control my photos quite a bit. My favorite lens is a 50mm pentax lens that was part of my dad's camera setup from the early 80's it's a nice sharp lens that takes well to low light shots.

I would really like to spend more time learning to take great pictures, but have been uninspired lately, pretty much all that I take pictures of is food!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Homebrewing beer and woodworking...never combine the two
Old 11-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Photography - An expensive hobby that I have indulged in... just because. You could buy a new car with all that I have invested into it! And I guess I'm sort-a-good at it, or at least understanding what a good photo should look like. I keep getting invitations to judge photo contests at the local, county, district and state levels. But I'd rather take photos than judge them. Street photography is my favorite style - unobtrusively capturing people doing things that show part of their character or nature. For me, I've seen enough flowers, streams and waterfalls to last a lifetime. In my opinion, people provide an infinite number of interesting visual opportunities when capturing a moment during which they are just being themselves or openly expressing something we can all identify with.

Flying - until I got sick and had to permanently give up my medical certificate. Now, I occasionally ride along with a fellow pilot and play navigator.

Watercolor Painting - Just for fun and it's another way for expressing myself creatively... not that I'm any good at it, but I try.
I love photagraphy too, selkie. Here is one of my pictures that I took when I went to the Erie, PA zoo.

I also love to read, sketch (I don't get a chance to do these things enough, though.), take walks on cool mornings, etc. I would love to learn how to paint. My great uncle was a fantastic artist as was my grandfather.

Tags
cooking