What are your hobbies besides cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was my heyday of HO car racing. My track took up most of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. When my parents sold their house I gathered my old toys and sold them to an antique toy collector. I wonder where they are now...

I like guns and I like riding my Street Glide. I guess those are hobbies.

Last edited:
Photography - An expensive hobby that I have indulged in... just because. You could buy a new car with all that I have invested into it! :LOL: And I guess I'm sort-a-good at it, or at least understanding what a good photo should look like. I keep getting invitations to judge photo contests at the local, county, district and state levels. But I'd rather take photos than judge them. Street photography is my favorite style - unobtrusively capturing people doing things that show part of their character or nature. For me, I've seen enough flowers, streams and waterfalls to last a lifetime. In my opinion, people provide an infinite number of interesting visual opportunities when capturing a moment during which they are just being themselves or openly expressing something we can all identify with.

Flying - until I got sick and had to permanently give up my medical certificate. Now, I occasionally ride along with a fellow pilot and play navigator.

Watercolor Painting - Just for fun and it's another way for expressing myself creatively... not that I'm any good at it, but I try.

Last edited:
I used to dabble in oil painting and lately have been eyeing the board fence in my small backyard. What I'd like to do is a mural with a scene across a pond with reeds, egrets, herons, etc. So far it's only in my mind, but I'm enjoying thinking about it. Using a 2 or 4" brush would be considerably different from the 1/4" brushes I used to use and I suppose would not be cheap to buy paint by the quart instead of by the tube.

Selkie - what was your favorite 'unposed' photo? Could you describe it?

I am a gardener, heart and soul. I don't feel right unless there is dirt under my nails.

Not looking forward to the long dark winter, but I do have houseplants to comfort me til spring.

I have many interesets, but I am not sure how many of them I would call a hobby. I love to camp and hike and do outdoors stuff, but I would not really call that a hobby. I suppose other than cooking, Photography would be my next biggest hobby. Like Selkie, I have sunk enough $ into my photography gear that I could have bought a vacation house with all the money. It is something I love to do. I think I have a very good eye for composition. I am basically self taught so I do not know all the technical aspects, but as with cooking, you do not always need to know why something works to know that it does work and how to use it to get the outcome you want.

When I was a stay at home mom, I had way too many hobbies, and I still have all those supplies in one closet, box, or another. Sewing, tailoring, baking, candy making, stained glass, cross stitch and any needle point type projects, beading, crocheting, quilting, applique, craft projects--gluing things in a shadowbox, calligraphy, scherenschnitte, watercolor, acrylic, silver on gesso painting/drawing, photography (for painting/drawing), traveling-------like I said, too many things.

I still like doing most of them but there is no time when working, and no time when trying to find a job.
Fishing is so relaxing. Gardening and communing with nature (sandhill cranes out in the backyard yesterday), walking when someone will walk with me, and as always, learning new things.
It's fun when I have time, to revisit some of the hobbies. This past month, I taught someone how to do mending, that was quite a feat, and I made some homemade caramels the other day and then caramel sauce for apples.

Cooking is the most fun because we have to eat anyways. This last week it was pasties and Beef Burgundy Stew.

Baking is #1 but I do enjoy taking pictures.

I don't have a lot invested in photography, I got a great deal a few years back on a DSLR, which has improved my ability to control my photos quite a bit. My favorite lens is a 50mm pentax lens that was part of my dad's camera setup from the early 80's it's a nice sharp lens that takes well to low light shots.

I would really like to spend more time learning to take great pictures, but have been uninspired lately, pretty much all that I take pictures of is food!

Photography - An expensive hobby that I have indulged in... just because. You could buy a new car with all that I have invested into it! :LOL: And I guess I'm sort-a-good at it, or at least understanding what a good photo should look like. I keep getting invitations to judge photo contests at the local, county, district and state levels. But I'd rather take photos than judge them. Street photography is my favorite style - unobtrusively capturing people doing things that show part of their character or nature. For me, I've seen enough flowers, streams and waterfalls to last a lifetime. In my opinion, people provide an infinite number of interesting visual opportunities when capturing a moment during which they are just being themselves or openly expressing something we can all identify with.

Flying - until I got sick and had to permanently give up my medical certificate. Now, I occasionally ride along with a fellow pilot and play navigator.

Watercolor Painting - Just for fun and it's another way for expressing myself creatively... not that I'm any good at it, but I try.

I love photagraphy too, selkie. Here is one of my pictures that I took when I went to the Erie, PA zoo.

img_1068955_0_fd6664ec14cd76aa473eba5f23c7a304.jpg

I also love to read, sketch (I don't get a chance to do these things enough, though.), take walks on cool mornings, etc. I would love to learn how to paint. My great uncle was a fantastic artist as was my grandfather.

Cooking, in general, is not a hobby of mine. I enjoy outdoor cooking.... grilling, smoking, and using the wood oven, and consider those activities as a hobby.
I've always been into cycling and continue to do so.
I've also returned to my old hobby of astronomy after leaving it about 10 years ago and now regret selling certain astro gear which I wished I kept.

sewing, knitting, reading. that's about it. reading is probably the top one. is that a hobby? if i am not involved in a book, with a back-up of at least two books, then something seems out of order , in my world.

Tinlizzie and Vanilla Bean, here are a couple of examples... not great but I like them.

Here's a neighbor boy in my front yard.
29235-albums329-picture4200.jpg

To me, the interest isn't just the bull rider, but the guys watching him.
29235-albums329-picture4201.jpg

I took this one just for the variety of colors.
29235-albums329-picture4202.jpg

This one speaks for itself.
29235-albums329-picture4199.jpg

I have many interesets, but I am not sure how many of them I would call a hobby. I love to camp and hike and do outdoors stuff, but I would not really call that a hobby. I suppose other than cooking, Photography would be my next biggest hobby. Like Selkie, I have sunk enough $ into my photography gear that I could have bought a vacation house with all the money. It is something I love to do. I think I have a very good eye for composition. I am basically self taught so I do not know all the technical aspects, but as with cooking, you do not always need to know why something works to know that it does work and how to use it to get the outcome you want.
Do you find a cable shutter release beneficial for tripod mounted still photography?

Tinlizzie and Vanilla Bean, here are a couple of examples... not great but I like them.

Here's a neighbor boy in my front yard.
29235-albums329-picture4200.jpg

To me, the interest isn't just the bull rider, but the guys watching him.
29235-albums329-picture4201.jpg

I took this one just for the variety of colors.
29235-albums329-picture4202.jpg

This one speaks for itself.
29235-albums329-picture4199.jpg

I love your photos. I posted some old ones in the random photo thread.

Haven't had a lot of money to invest in it but I love taking photographs. I like drawing and miss my watercolors (currently packed away). I like reading and I love learning about science. I also love swimming, hiking, and camping. I love music. I can just sit and listen to music, analyze it, think about it, savour it. I love singing so long as there is no one around to hear me. I also do a little writing occasionally. I enjoy researching stuff when I have time and an interesting subject. I really enjoy the process of researching. And it may sound strange but I think of thinking as kind of a hobby. I can spend a lot of time in my own brain, just exploring ideas and using my imagination. It's what gets me through treadmill workouts.

I've done a bunch of just about everything too. Currently, it's mostly gardening, with woodworking (I like working with barnboard and twigs) and jewelry making, on occasion. I too have a full craft room, with clay for sculpting Santas, " wild women" sculptures, and jewelry, cross stitch, sewing, candlemaking, woodburning, wood carving, orchids. I like taking pictures too, especially underwater.

Last edited:
Do you find a cable shutter release beneficial for tripod mounted still photography?
Not only beneficial, but I would almost say necessary. There are times when it is not needed, but those times are the exception. The other option is using the self timer feature if you do not have a cable. I know some of the newer DSLRs have a 2 second self timer feature for this very reason. I am not sure if many/any point and shoots have a 2 second timer. The quickest I have seen on a p&s is 10 seconds I think. I shutter release cable is generally pretty inexpensive so if you are shelling out for a good tripod (and a good one is a must. This is not an area you want to skimp on) then you might as well drop another $10-$20 for a cable.

Back
Top Bottom