"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
Honey Badger

What Are Your Plans for the 4th of July?

Ahhhh summer time. A time for swimmin' and sinnin'

Were probably going to Q dinner.
Watch the fireworks show that the next city over is having.
Grab a lounge chair and watch the neighbor kids having a good time.
They can really light up the street.
Most towns around here have banned fireworks. Every town but ours.

I'll soak the back yard and get the firepit going. Roast some marshmallows.
Hot dogs for the puppies. You can't have the 4th without smores. It's un American!

Old 06-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I will probably go up to my daughter's house. Sit on the lounger I left behind when I moved, drinking soda. She usually has a BBQ going on holidays and weekends.

She also has a pool. But the ladder is just too much for me to climb. But, since I have lost all this weight, I just may give it a try this year.

If I don't go there, I will take a ride on my scooter to the beach up the street and bring my sewing with me. BK is right across the street. Get me a bit soda. Sit under the tree at a bench and table. Watch the planes line up for takeoff across the water. And work on my sewing.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

My family is coming here for a cookout Sunday. There will be pool time for the young un and anyone else who likes.

I am making yelangi, an Armenian appetizer of stuffed grape leaves with rice, olive oil, onion and tomato served cold; itch, another Armenian appetizer made with tomato, onion, oil and fine bulgar served with pita. Marinated beef souvlaki with pita, tzatziki and fresh veggies to top the sandwich. There will also be a salad and desserts.

The yelangi is a surprise for the family. They all love it and don't get it often.

SO is making a chocolate cream pie and cream cheese brownies and we'll have ice cream.

SO is also making her signature sangria.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What Are Your Plans for the 4th of July?

DH's birthday. I have no idea what we're doing, but a bunch of restaurants here give free meals to the birthday boy or girl. Heck, why not?
Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Wine Guy

No fixed plans here. I may bottle some wine that day.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't planned our food yet, but in the evening, we're planning to head downtown for the fireworks. We have a tandem bicycle; we put it in the back of DH's pickup and park in a neighborhood closer to downtown, then ride the bike to the riverfront. We'll eat early and then I'll pack a snack and some wine to enjoy while we watch the show.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
Master Chef

My wife picked up some skirt steaks and 6 racks of baby backs from Costco a couple of days ago and told me to prepare myself to cook these on Monday. I guess we're expecting a few people over.

She's been nagging me to shade the pergola so I finally ordered a 20x20 shade cloth from Amazon the other day. Now that should arrive tomorrow and I'll spend part of Saturday installing that over the pergola.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'm just staying home that day and maybe using the rest of the shrimp to make some more garlic shrimp. Then in the evening, I'm going over to a local cemetery. The parking lot is way up on a hill and from there, I can see the fireworks from one end of the town to the other and the city fireworks in the distance.

I can also see down to the bay and usually every year people will set off their fireworks on the beach.

I'll bring along a couple snacks and some Gatorade and a blanket to sit on. There will be 3 hours of non-stop boom boom boom and by about 11pm, there's so much smoke in the air it looks like haze. Yeah, I know, these are all good reasons for banning fireworks, but I love it.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #9
Master Chef

My son-in-laws birthday is on the 4th, so daughter and family made plans to head out of town for a few days.

Don't have definite plans yet, but my brother and I will probably grill some steaks mid day - I'll make a potato salad and fixins', then around dark I'll walk around the corner where I have a good view of the fairgrounds and watch the fireworks display.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:55 AM   #10
Master Chef

Loverly got herself a nice grill since we were here last, so we'll do cook-out. Hot dogs and kielbasa from the meat shop down in Amish country - they lightly smoke the hot dogs and WOW are they good. I'll make some potato salad and coleslaw, but Loverly insists the beans come from the little general store down the road. They make them fresh in-house and they definitely are good. Some cold beverages (Great Lakes or Hoppin' Frog beer ), maybe some ice cream, and just relax and enjoy family. Might look to see if the community between her place and Goober's is having fireworks. They have a grouping of small lakes; I'm sure the display would look extra-nice there.