"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #91
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

And Kathleen, bravo to you for being the champion of the teens out there! I work with teens everyday too, but I suspect I work with a different demographic. LOL! In the last 15 years I've seen the segment I work with explode. Our wait list is horrific at the moment. I don't mean to suggest that gaming is the CAUSE of problems, but I do think it can be a contributor. One of the first things we do with every adolescent coming in to the program is find out how much "screen time" they get each day at home. The next step is putting some pretty tough limits on that time.

I've sure enjoyed this thread. Hope I've clarified things a bit. I sure wouldn't want anyone to get the impression I don't like teens or think they're a bunch of yahoos. I live with 2 and love them beyond words, and I enjoy working with them too. I think they teach me more than I teach them!
Once I worked only with the troubled population, but I now work with a tremendous range; however, I am sure we still share some of the same teens. (Or you will eventually send them back to me. ) Wait lists for kids in high crisis or need are frightening. Bravo to you for working with them. It takes special people to connect with them.

Most of the students invited to my office are rarely there for happy reasons. I've often said that I would not wish my job on anyone, but I absolutely love it. I know you understand that.

So...what do you serve for nerd night???

Old 02-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #92
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

So...what do you serve for nerd night???

OMG, what DON'T I serve for nerd night?! Usually there is a giant segmented tray with all kinds of jujubes, chocolate bits and assorted nuts and corn nuts. Then there is the various types of chips (Doritos, wavy with dip etc) and if I'm feeling I need to nod to health I put out a veggie tray. I usually put a tray of assorted pinwheel tortilla thingies and homemade potato skins. The drinks range from all kinds of soda to beer etc for those of us allowed to imbibe.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #93
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OMG, what DON'T I serve for nerd night?! Usually there is a giant segmented tray with all kinds of jujubes, chocolate bits and assorted nuts and corn nuts. Then there is the various types of chips (Doritos, wavy with dip etc) and if I'm feeling I need to nod to health I put out a veggie tray. I usually put a tray of assorted pinwheel tortilla thingies and homemade potato skins. The drinks range from all kinds of soda to beer etc for those of us allowed to imbibe.
Corn nuts. Mmmmmm....I should have the veggie tray, but Corn nuts....
Old 02-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #94
Executive Chef

Bravo Kathleen for post 81, the salient points are equaly germain in the UK. I was 60 yrs old on the 25th jan, I left school at 15yrs old because I was stupid ( I was diagnosed much later as being Dyslectic, later still ADHT) I left school, home and the country very angry and frustrated. I had the best and most careing parents a child could want, It took me till my twenties to realise this, I was lucky I had not damaged myself or society to much so that with help I was then able to try to contribute to it in a valid way, the only skill I had until then violence. These toys may if they had excisted have helped me.