What are your thoughts on the hardcore gaming community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So...LOL...mercy mercy! However inappropriate a place for this question, my opinion FWIW, is that hard core gamers are increasing exponentially, meaning that in games like World of Warcraft, more and more people worldwide are opting out of 'reality' in favor of a fantasy life that is apparently 'less-painful' than reality.
The obvious 'danger' of this movement toward fantasy, as predicted in any number of cyberpunk books and stories, is that the "real world" is less and less important as it fades into the background. The result of which will be (already is) that there's a breakdown of services and so-called civilization and with fewer people participating the probability of the doomsayers expectation of world chaos gets closer to being an eventual 'certainty'.
Yes I believe that this scenario is perhaps Dickenesque as in the "ghost of Christmas future", and could be changed, and even if it's already on that slippery slope and gaining momentum, I think it's far enough ahead in time so I don't expect to be around but...it is something to think about...
We are indeed living in a "Brave New World"!

I talk about food and post pics of pizzas I make on cycling and cigar forums all the time.
I don't think anyone would have an issue with his post if he came here and talked about food first. When you talked about pizza at cycling and cigar forums was it your first post or had you already established that you were there to mainly talk about what the board was about?

I don't think anyone would have an issue with his post if he came here and talked about food first. When you talked about pizza at cycling and cigar forums was it your first post or had you already established that you were there to mainly talk about what the board was about?
I agree, you must first establish yourself as a foodie here on this forum. Then you can explore other areas of the forum and veer off-topic. That would be the normal thing to do.

Funny thing about the cigar forum I belong to is that I don't even smoke cigars. I only like and visit their off-topic lounge and food threads. I post there regularly but have never talked about cigars. In fact, I know jack about cigars. I have to assume other members on the board I come in contact with must assume I'm one of them....:D

Last edited:
I am on a music forum for a specific band. There are a number of people there who have never listened to said band or who do not like the band.

Hmmm....I wonder what kind of response I would get posing a cooking question on a gaming forum? Just wonderin', mind you.

You can always choose to have the thread Ignored (under Thread Tools) if you don't like it when a subject keeps popping up as each new post is added.

I do that for cooking equipment threads. If I'm not in the market for it, I don't want to keep reading about it.

The same goes for the tabloid type threads that get posted just to stir people up with unproven junk.

On the other end of the spectrum...

There was a whole slew of food related posts yesterday by a new member who apparently was only interested in getting his facebook link exposed. So while his/her posts were more on topic with the forum, albeit the generic "looks yummy" or "I'll have to make this tonight", I do believe their intent was more malicious.

Always a slippery slope weeding out the legitimate questions from the not so legitimate.

On the gaming question:

I pity hardcore gamers because I believe they likely have very little else in their life that gives them a sense of satisfaction or self worth.

I also believe that as a society we are isolating ourselves more and more and our only way to satisfy our need for community then is to find it on the internet or via gaming communities. Those kinds of connections are "safe".

Over the last 10 years or so I've seen more and more adolescents who have no idea how to behave face to face or in groups at school, however, put a controller in their hands and they excel.

On the gaming question:

I pity hardcore gamers because I believe they likely have very little else in their life that gives them a sense of satisfaction or self worth.

I also believe that as a society we are isolating ourselves more and more and our only way to satisfy our need for community then is to find it on the internet or via gaming communities. Those kinds of connections are "safe".

Over the last 10 years or so I've seen more and more adolescents who have no idea how to behave face to face or in groups at school, however, put a controller in their hands and they excel.

I agree with you, especially the highlighted part. Not knowing anyone here, and getting mugged after I arrived, I distrust people more.

It used to be that I trusted everyone until or if they proved untrustworthy, but you just can't do that any more.

The reason I love DC so much is being in touch with interesting, caring people. Plus, I always get to finish my sentences here!:LOL:

I think this gets right to the heart of his question about what people think. I would say it depends a large part on age. Those over say 40 or so probably think of gaming as gambling. Those younger most likely think of video games.

When I hear the term hardcore gaming community, the only thing I think of is video games. Gambling would never enter my mind for that.

I'm of the older set, but I love gaming. DnD Online is my favorite. I never cared for WoW. It bleeds over to other areas. I have a +10 bag of grocery-holding along with my other recycled materials bags! :cool:

Video Gaming really never crossed my mind.

I immediately thought of LARPs and those folks that play. I think it depends on your experience what comes to mind. Then there's D&D and so on.

LARPS! Now...there is an art to obtaining food when doing a Larp. It's been years though since I've explained to the park ranger that the bag of chocolate donut holes were "Magic Missles" and the powdered ones were "tracers." I am SO glad he did not look in my +10 bag o shopping to inquire about my healing potions which were basically moonshine. People thought I worked at the chemistry supply room for money. Geesh. :angel:

I spend far too much time cooking to become a hardcore gamer. :angel:

Again, food is difficult or gamers. Cold pizza works when playing shooters or DnD online, but hot pizza is usually too messy. Though hot pizza will work or the table top games, but takes up a lot of space. Larps have to have portable food that is "game appropriate". For example, pulling out an apple for the DnD Larp = appropriate. Pulling out a Milky Way bar with the wrapper just will not do if people are into the roleplay. Vamp the Masq...do not be a vamp and schluck down a soda from a can....without pointing out it is part of the masquerade! We need a gamer food challenge next. :)

Gaming, the same as any hobby or pastime, that encompasses a person's entire being is bad. It's an addiction.

I feel the same way about a gamer who only plays games the same way I feel about someone who just reads books all the time. They need balance in their lives.

Very true! Fess up, PF. You have done your share of RennFaires, paid dues at White Wolf, and own a dice set that you would kill someone for touching, haven't you? ;)

At first I thought this wasn't a good topic for Discuss Cooking, but under the heading, "Discuss Life" I guess it is valid. After all, look at it. 27 posts to a question posted an hour ago sounds like people do have opinions the OP may find useful.

Personally, I don't think it does the kid any good except for learning to use war-like killing machines, and keeping the kid off the streets while playing the video games.

Zhizara, remember, the sandwich was concocted so that the Earl of Sandwich did not need to leave his table while on a winning streak. And food suitable to poker-playing are generally suitable or Table-Top RPGs.

I'm definitely a non-traditional 50 year old...
I play a fair amount of first person shooter games, but so far only WWII ones.
My wife and I both like Co-op screen Dungeon and Dragon type games
(sword and sorcery, hack and slash)..
And we both are somewhat addicted to Rock Band, which is like Guitar Hero.
Apparently we are somewhat unusual there... we actually strive to get better,
and are now on Hard difficulty level. I have new respect for rock band musicians now!
(We went on our honeymoon to Vegas 10 years ago, discovered we both liked video games, came home and bought a PS2.
Ten years later, we went back for our anniversary, discovered Rock Band, came home and bought a PS3!!! )

But when you celebrate your fiftieth anniversary, will you register with GPotatoes? And do you have a cross-referenced profile on GamersDNA? I would!!! :LOL:

I talk about food and post pics of pizzas I make on cycling and cigar forums all the time.

You know I am going to expect you to come up with ultimate gaming food if we have that contest, don't you??? :pig:

On the gaming question:

I've seen kids and adults wreck their social lives with games. I've also seen games pull kids out of their shells. My nephew learned about negotiating, problem solving, map reading, strategic planning, etc. with gaming. I have friends who use social game sites to assist clients with social anxiety to learn to socialize. It does vary from person and situation.

Me? I like gaming. Is it an escape? Sometimes. Is it expensive? Sometimes, but no more than a night out on the town.

My thoughts are some people need games in order to balance their lives. Just so long as they aren't breaking the balance and spending all or most of their time gaming, I think it can be healthy. It improves hand/eye coordination.

As for the "gaming community" I don't count myself among that community per se, but I do enjoy playing RPGs on mu Wii on occasion. Unless you count tabletop role-playing games, in which I am an active member. The problem I have with all members of the gaming community is that they tend to be exclusive, using jargon no one else understands.

I'm of the older set, but I love gaming. DnD Online is my favorite. I never cared for WoW. It bleeds over to other areas. I have a +10 bag of grocery-holding along with my other recycled materials bags! :cool:

LARPS! Now...there is an art to obtaining food when doing a Larp. It's been years though since I've explained to the park ranger that the bag of chocolate donut holes were "Magic Missles" and the powdered ones were "tracers." I am SO glad he did not look in my +10 bag o shopping to inquire about my healing potions which were basically moonshine. People thought I worked at the chemistry supply room for money. Geesh. :angel:

Very true! Fess up, PF. You have done your share of RennFaires, paid dues at White Wolf, and own a dice set that you would kill someone for touching, haven't you? ;)

Me? I like gaming. Is it an escape? Sometimes. Is it expensive? Sometimes, but no more than a night out on the town.

RennFaires, check, Science-Fiction Conventions, check. I am also an Honorary Fairy Godmother for our Local Vampire LARP, I make sure they are not killing themselves by not watching their blood sugars...we have a few Diabetic Vamps un-living around here. I also patch up battle wounds and scraped knees. I'm a healer for many groups, but I usually am not a participant. They call me when they know they are going to play for a couple of days.

RennFaires, check, Science-Fiction Conventions, check. I am also an Honorary Fairy Godmother for our Local Vampire LARP, I make sure they are not killing themselves by not watching their blood sugars...we have a few Diabetic Vamps un-living around here. I also patch up battle wounds and scraped knees. I'm a healer for many groups, but I usually am not a participant. They call me when they know they are going to play for a couple of days.

:O I... I love you now.

My thoughts are some people need games in order to balance their lives. Just so long as they aren't breaking the balance and spending all or most of their time gaming, I think it can be healthy. It improves hand/eye coordination.

As for the "gaming community" I don't count myself among that community per se, but I do enjoy playing RPGs on mu Wii on occasion. Unless you count tabletop role-playing games, in which I am an active member. The problem I have with all members of the gaming community is that they tend to be exclusive, using jargon no one else understands.

Oh, admit it. You know you are 1337 deep within. ;)

Some how, I guessed all of this....down to the healer! I love playing healers.

Oh? What did I do?

I don't mind being loved, just would like to know why!:LOL:

You're 1337. Duh! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom