"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #61
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Some how, I guessed all of this....down to the healer! I love playing healers.
You're 1337. Duh!

So, when they call me "healer," they are really saying "Healer." An Honorific, not an occupation.

Wiki is my friend!

Thank You, Kathleen-san!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #62
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
So, when they call me "healer," they are really saying "Healer." An Honorific, not an occupation.

Wiki is my friend!

Thank You, Kathleen-san!

*nods sagely* It is both an honorific and an occupation. In my case, it is never an exact science. For example, being screamed at or having panicked profanity slung in my direction always seems to make my healing spells and potions to fail epically.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
*nods sagely* It is both an honorific and an occupation. In my case, it is never an exact science. For example, being screamed at or having panicked profanity slung in my direction always seems to make my healing spells and potions to fail epically.
That's why I am on the sidelines...I find I am able to function as a healer much better if I am not constrained by storyline! I also have the ability to call a time out and pull characters from the game if I think their IRL health is in danger. It's happened twice in 8 years.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Gaming, the same as any hobby or pastime, that encompasses a person's entire being is bad. It's an addiction.

I feel the same way about a gamer who only plays games the same way I feel about someone who just reads books all the time. They need balance in their lives.
hey, what's wrong with reading all the time. now if you read at the table then that's probably not good. i read three of four hours a day. reading, for me is like breathing. i wouldn't want to give up either one. i think if more people read books and newspapers the world would be a better place. i don't play video games anymore, but was really addicted at one time. pac man, and several others. that wasn't good, i didn't get much done and had nothing to show for it at the end. at least , with being avid reader, i am gained much knowledge about many things going on in our world.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #65
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
hey, what's wrong with reading all the time. now if you read at the table then that's probably not good. i read three of four hours a day. reading, for me is like breathing. i wouldn't want to give up either one. i think if more people read books and newspapers the world would be a better place. i don't play video games anymore, but was really addicted at one time. pac man, and several others. that wasn't good, i didn't get much done and had nothing to show for it at the end. at least , with being avid reader, i am gained much knowledge about many things going on in our world.
You don't read 20 hours a day. I was only equating reading and gaming as two hobbies, either of which CAN be overdone.

Now, I think I need to turn off this gadget that seems to be running most of the day!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well you people have caused me to look up a lot of acronyms in the Urban Dictionary today. I can see where you can have fun.

If I were to want to try a RPG, which one would you suggest for someone who has NEVER played one at all? Something online that doesn't require special purchases of equipment.

I noticed something about the reading. I've always been an avid reader, but lately I haven't been as quick to pick up my current book, instead keeping myself busy with other things. DC is a part of my day now, and I like to work on my Sudoku puzzles to keep my mind exercised.

It seems that in recent years life was so difficult that I buried myself in books to escape the constant stress and worry in my own mind.

It just seems strange after such a long period of that behavior to find myself content with my real life enough that a good, interesting book can sit within reach, and I might not even pick it up all day.

I spend more time thinking about my current or next sewing project, planning new decorating schemes. (I'd like to have a color scheme for each season.) DC inspires me to come up with new recipe ideas. What a difference.

I'm off to my What Else Are You Making thread to complain about my latest sewing project/problem.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #67
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Oh? What did I do?

I don't mind being loved, just would like to know why!
I go to Ren Faires, too, and I have always wanted to start LARPing. It's just nice to see someone as interested as I am. :D
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #68
Sous Chef

I'll give my experience - some connections might be causal, others just simple correlation.

I grew up as part of the video game generation. With the exception of a few TV channels that focus on education (such as most of PBS, some of Discovery/Science, History, and odd shows on subjects such as cooking and home maintenance), I always preferred to turn on my game system to staring motionless at a sitcom or reality show.

My mother didn't mind at all, she only got worried if I passed out in front of it. My father on the other hand was concerned that sometimes I played too much and exhibited behavior such as frustration and addiction. For me this led to an ability to deal with complex problems without getting frustrated or giving up. I can stay up three days working on a single project - something viewed as a positive attribute (by many) when a critical task needs completion.

As a youngster I developed great hand-eye coordination which helped with writing/drawing (and later knife skills!). Most of the games I played involved math in some form (be it simple points, logic, or abstract mathematics in the form of game theory - a serious field!). Some of the games like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego gave me an edge on geography and culture.

I own a PlayStation 3, Wii, and a separate (portable) desktop computer I purposely built for gaming with my FIL and BIL. On the PC we play real-time-strategy games which can be thought of as games such as RISK, but without turns - everyone plays at once and economic/military decisions you make decide your fate so to speak. On our Wii we enjoy playing the active games where we're all up swinging virtual golf clubs while it's snowing out, or swinging virtual tennis rackets when the courts are under three feet of slush and ice down the road. On my iPhone I enjoy good-'ole Tetris. The PS3 I don't actually use much for gaming, although I have a couple arcade-style games I play now and then.

We enjoy games much more than television/movies. And not just Video Games, but board games, and outdoor games. Games get everyone involved with one another rather than just staring blankly in separate little worlds.

Then of course there is the incredible wealth of knowledge you are presented with if you get curious about how that plastic box with flashing lights is actually working. It's some of the most sophisticated technology on the planet, and drives advances in everything from medicine to our understanding of the Universe. Admittedly some people just like to push a button and squash someone like a tomato...

EDIT: By the way, we found we watched so little cable that we got rid of it three years ago. We took the $100/month we saved for a year and bought a 52" LCD for our games and the occasional Blu-Ray film on the PS3.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #69
Honey Badger

I like to go gaming, do play a few online. Have to agree that to some extent that some kids spend way too much time on them. It's more of a baby sitter. Parents are working and such.

My husband and I go gaming with our kids. Always have.
I don't have a problem with pawning them, melting their faces in a game. It's all in fun here. Much cheaper then dinner out and a movie. We do that to, just not that often.

I've learned the slang that they use in some games.

We were having dinner one night and the kids were talking about a game. We were making plans to play an online game that night. One got testy with the other. I wasn't sure so I asked them " So uh guys, Is this what you call smak talk before a game?" They almost died laughing." Mom's a gamer!!! " They especially said that when I did get in and melt them. They have a new saying now "Don't aggro Mom!" lol..
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #70
Senior Cook

Gaming is an odd culture that has evolved so rapidly in the last few years.

As a whole I thing gaming is a good thing, it makes you think. I would prefer my child to try to strategically beat a video game rather than watching reality tv. The problem is taking it too far. I do agree that too much can be bad for you. Take a look at a select few of the WOW players. So much time, like days of the week are devoted to this game. This is bad.

There is also a social aspect to the 'gaming culture' now. You can connect with all of your friends, and enemies. You can chat and talk. Kids get real frustrated by bullying. This is another down side to the evolution of gaming.

All in all I am for the advancement of technology, and better gaming experiences. I do say that they should be used appropriately.

I hope this is helpful to your study.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote