"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #71
Master Chef

My question is, do any of these gamers know how to fix a leaky faucet?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #72
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Sure, ask any fat little Gnome in WOW.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Mine would be, can they make change with out the register displaying it for them?

Craig
Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC

Mine would be, can they make change with out the register displaying it for them?

Craig
I hope so. Don't they still teach that in the 3rd grade?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #75
Cupcake

Quote:
Like most people, they will likely learn it like I did: I learned when I bought a house that had a bathtub that drained directly into the basement and when the faucet would not stop dripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

Craig
Of course they can! Probability checks. Price of loot, equipment, etc. My favorite moment with modern teenage gamers was when half of the ninth grade males in the GT class created a "Harlot Chart" to find out what type of NPC girl they would meet when they ventured into town. Now the gamers who are playing Soul Caliber (or the modern equivalent) won't be able to do it - but those who prefer White Wolf-based games....sure! That being said, Soul Caliber was so fun too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #76
Cook

WOW @ some of the thoughts [read stereotypical] about gamers in this thread....

I think you can be a hardcore gamer and still relatively balanced...just like you can be a hardcore internet user, tv/movie watcher, cook, runner or reader and not be too maladjusted.

Friends of mine like the rock band game and some dancing game a lot. They throw parties and make a night out of it regularly. They know which way is up, support their habit and families, and are generally self sufficient. *shrug*

I signed up for Second Life for an internet law course. I thought that was pretty cool, a lot of interesting issues came up and i was blown away by the high level of participation. If it didn't slow down my computer so much I'd probably play that.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #77
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA

Like most people, they will likely learn it like I did: I learned when I bought a house that had a bathtub that drained directly into the basement and when the faucet would not stop dripping.
Yes, of course, but the internets did not enter into most of our lives until we were well into adulthood. It's the kids who spend 6 hrs everyday gaming or on Facebook that may end up lacking practical skills as adults like fixing a leaky faucet. Sure, they may possess excellent hand-eye coordination but may lack social skills in the real world.
Sorry for the rant as I see so many young adults out there who are unable to function (ie: stupid) in many aspects of life today
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #78
Everymom

Quote:
Yes, of course, but the internets did not enter into most of our lives until we were well into adulthood. It's the kids who spend 6 hrs everyday gaming or on Facebook that may end up lacking practical skills as adults like fixing a leaky faucet. Sure, they may possess excellent hand-eye coordination but may lack social skills in the real world.
Sorry for the rant as I see so many young adults out there who are unable to function (ie: stupid) in many aspects of life today
That was the point I was trying to make. We are interacting socially more and more in places where we can't see one another. I teach adolescents what a "frowny face" means on a daily basis. They have no idea how to read expression on a person's face and so tend to react inappropriately. OK, end of my rant.

I believe gamers do have superior problem solving skills, and likely can do dexterous things I can't. I also believe gamers who use the games to avoid reality and interacting with live people are at a serious disadvantage in many ways. Its tough to develop a relationship of substance with only the internet as your communication tool. Pretty darned tough to propagate the species via the internet too.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Quote:
I hope so. Don't they still teach that in the 3rd grade?
Simple test. After they take your bills and type the amount in the register, say "I have the exact change", hand it to them and look at the confused expression on their face. Looks like your just slapped them in the face. I've had one call the manager over because they were stumped.

Craig
Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #80
Master Chef

Take myself as an example. I may be artistic, handy for the most part, good with numbers, socially adjusted, and etc..., but I am really bad when it comes to lengthy reading and comprehension. That's my weak point.
Oh, and I'm not so good at video games as well...lol...