What are your thoughts on the hardcore gaming community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, guys! I work with teens. It's not the gamer kids who cannot make change and are the social misfits. Most teens play games of some kind - that is true. XBox, web games, RPGs, etc.

In the 50s and 60s, adults blamed that devil music. In the 70s, it was blamed on the drugs. In the 80s, we just said no and blamed it on the "Me Generation." The list goes on and on. As someone who has been involved with teens since the 80s, I think the kids who cannot count change and are socially inept are the same ones that we always have seen: The ones that waste education, blame everyone else for their issues, and grow up too fast. The real Fonzie look alikes were socially aware when down at Thunder Alley, but they would not know what to do at the deb ball nor were their high school transcript Harvard-ready. ;) Still many found success on some level for the world in which they lived.

The moral and intellectual decline of youth has been bemoaned since Socrates' days. I honestly cannot wait to see what will be next. You know? Fess up now, how many of you terrorized your parents by something. My father was scandalized by the hula-hoops and told me that only tramps pierce their ears. It made such an impact that I pierced other things prior to the ears, which waited until I was over 40. :LOL:

Any how, kids today are awesome. Please do not judge them all by the teen working the drive-through....especially if you drive through at noon. Most gaming teens are probably in AP Calc during that time. :cool:

~Kathleen

P.S. I want a Wii.

Last edited:
Kathleen I tried to give you karma for that post, but I have to spread the wealth around first. That was an excellent post!

I think some people are just looking at a subset of the hardcore gaming community when they are pointing out all the negatives and worst case scenarios. Yes those people and problems exist, but it is not representative of the community as a whole. There are plenty of hardcore gamers who have a life outside of gaming and are intelligent contributing members of society. It can be a hobby just like any other hobby and there are plenty of hardcore gamers who treat it as such.

Sorry, guys! I work with teens. It's not the gamer kids who cannot make change and are the social misfits. Most teens play games of some kind - that is true. XBox, web games, RPGs, etc.

In the 50s and 60s, adults blamed that devil music. In the 70s, it was blamed on the drugs. In the 80s, we just said no and blamed it on the "Me Generation." The list goes on and on. As someone who has been involved with teens since the 80s, I think the kids who cannot count change and are socially inept are the same ones that we always have seen: The ones that waste education, blame everyone else for their issues, and grow up too fast. The real Fonzie look alikes were socially aware when down at Thunder Alley, but they would not know what to do at the deb ball nor were their high school transcript Harvard-ready. ;) Still many found success on some level for the world in which they lived.

The moral and intellectual decline of youth has been bemoaned since Socrates' days. I honestly cannot wait to see what will be next. You know? Fess up now, how many of you terrorized your parents by something. My father was scandalized by the hula-hoops and told me that only tramps pierce their ears. It made such an impact that I pierced other things prior to the ears, which waited until I was over 40. :LOL:

Any how, kids today are awesome. Please do not judge them all by the teen working the drive-through....especially if you drive through at noon. Most gaming teens are probably in AP Calc during that time. :cool:

~Kathleen

P.S. I want a Wii.

Very well stated!!! I completely agree. I also think it's common for older generations to look down on younger gens which is unfortunate.

I think this has come down to a matter of Semantics...my idea of a hardcore gamer and your idea of a hardcore gamer are different.

Thank you and, yes, it is different levels of gamers and geekiness. I do admit to adoring geeks though.

My little crew who created the harlot chart for their DnD adventures are the only ones I know under 16 who celebrate the slide-rule. I find it funny that they are adamantly proud they can use one, which their 25 year old instructor could not do. :LOL: I actually had this conversation a few weeks ago.

Me: It does not say they HAVE to use the calculator in the student handbook.

Instructor: In the course requirements, they must show they can use the Texas Instrument [OMG, but it has a ton of numbers/letters and does amazing things) calculator.]

Me: Can they use one?

Instructor: They can. But they refuse to use it to solve the daily problems.

Me: I see.

Instructor: Can't you do something?

Me (flipping through the Student Handbook): I suppose I can nail them on 'not following directions of a staff member.' Of course, you could speak with their parents first. Or better yet, you could simply talk with them.

Instructor: Then they will know I don't know how to use a slide-ruler.

Me (showing my age): Want me to teach you how to use the slide-rule?

Instructor: Why do I want to know why to use one?

Me: Because it will remove the slide-rule magic.

Instructor: Oh.

Me: Have them race the calculator kids. Be sure they explain their work to the class. That should do it.

Haven't heard back from her since she learned to use the slide-rule. This group of teens prides themselves on being able to use an "analog mechanical computer" aka slide-rule. :LOL:

It really is a matter of degrees, stereotypes, perspectives.

Just like the Earl of Sandwich giving us the sandwich, what foods are good for modern games....or even the old ones like poker? I don't think pizza is good for gaming as it mucks up fingers if warm. Sandwiches are still good, but I need mine cut in quarters. Some candies like skittles and M&Ms are excellent. Pretzels over Doritos or Cheetos as they do not leave powder on the fingers. Pretzels with mustard are even better! Chips and salsa...I need healthier ideas. Does anyone have any?

Last edited:
PF, I think we're on the same page here. To me "hardcore gamer" indicates someone who has sacrificed much of real life to their gaming habit. That, to me, is very different from someone who plays games as their primary recreation.

I'm a complete game head and currently own a DS, Wii, PS2 and an old school Nintendo (which I need to avoid when in the throes of a Tetris craving or I'm sucked in for hours). I can also craft a dungeon to make your toes curl. My BOH has a lot of weird items in it, including my favorite...the Deck of Many Things. Ahhhh. We routinely host what we call "Nerd Night" and will either break out the Risk board or the D & D dice. (I don't know who mentioned having favorite dice and having a fist fight over them but I nearly wet my pants laughing at that.)

And Kathleen, bravo to you for being the champion of the teens out there! I work with teens everyday too, but I suspect I work with a different demographic. LOL! In the last 15 years I've seen the segment I work with explode. Our wait list is horrific at the moment. I don't mean to suggest that gaming is the CAUSE of problems, but I do think it can be a contributor. One of the first things we do with every adolescent coming in to the program is find out how much "screen time" they get each day at home. The next step is putting some pretty tough limits on that time.

To me "Hardcore Gamer" = "Social Misfit" and is someone who chooses to game via a system/computer instead of experiencing "real life" with live people. You can play D & D or various other RPG with live people, but over the net things can get a bit skewed.

I've sure enjoyed this thread. Hope I've clarified things a bit. I sure wouldn't want anyone to get the impression I don't like teens or think they're a bunch of yahoos. I live with 2 and love them beyond words, and I enjoy working with them too. I think they teach me more than I teach them!

And Kathleen, bravo to you for being the champion of the teens out there! I work with teens everyday too, but I suspect I work with a different demographic. LOL! In the last 15 years I've seen the segment I work with explode. Our wait list is horrific at the moment. I don't mean to suggest that gaming is the CAUSE of problems, but I do think it can be a contributor. One of the first things we do with every adolescent coming in to the program is find out how much "screen time" they get each day at home. The next step is putting some pretty tough limits on that time.

I've sure enjoyed this thread. Hope I've clarified things a bit. I sure wouldn't want anyone to get the impression I don't like teens or think they're a bunch of yahoos. I live with 2 and love them beyond words, and I enjoy working with them too. I think they teach me more than I teach them!

Once I worked only with the troubled population, but I now work with a tremendous range; however, I am sure we still share some of the same teens. (Or you will eventually send them back to me. :) ) Wait lists for kids in high crisis or need are frightening. Bravo to you for working with them. It takes special people to connect with them.

Most of the students invited to my office are rarely there for happy reasons. :rolleyes: I've often said that I would not wish my job on anyone, but I absolutely love it. I know you understand that.

So...what do you serve for nerd night???

Last edited:
So...what do you serve for nerd night???

OMG, what DON'T I serve for nerd night?! Usually there is a giant segmented tray with all kinds of jujubes, chocolate bits and assorted nuts and corn nuts. Then there is the various types of chips (Doritos, wavy with dip etc) and if I'm feeling I need to nod to health I put out a veggie tray. I usually put a tray of assorted pinwheel tortilla thingies and homemade potato skins. The drinks range from all kinds of soda to beer etc for those of us allowed to imbibe.

OMG, what DON'T I serve for nerd night?! Usually there is a giant segmented tray with all kinds of jujubes, chocolate bits and assorted nuts and corn nuts. Then there is the various types of chips (Doritos, wavy with dip etc) and if I'm feeling I need to nod to health I put out a veggie tray. I usually put a tray of assorted pinwheel tortilla thingies and homemade potato skins. The drinks range from all kinds of soda to beer etc for those of us allowed to imbibe.

Corn nuts. Mmmmmm....I should have the veggie tray, but Corn nuts....:)

Bravo Kathleen for post 81, the salient points are equaly germain in the UK. I was 60 yrs old on the 25th jan, I left school at 15yrs old because I was stupid ( I was diagnosed much later as being Dyslectic, later still ADHT) I left school, home and the country very angry and frustrated. I had the best and most careing parents a child could want, It took me till my twenties to realise this, I was lucky I had not damaged myself or society to much so that with help I was then able to try to contribute to it in a valid way, the only skill I had until then violence. These toys may if they had excisted have helped me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom