What are your thoughts on the hardcore gaming community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fire-Hazard

Assistant Cook
Hey, I am a communications and culture student.
I am currently doing a presentation about gaming, and need to get different opinions on gaming.

What are your thoughts on the hardcore gaming community? what sort of image does it give off? (ps3,pc, xbox, nintendo, atari etc)

If you could answer that question that would be great :)

Last edited:
I'll assume you mean professional gamblers when you refer to gaming since you have not clarified your original request.

I know its a bit odd, but I'm just trying to get a different opinions on gaming, and how it is seen in society?

Oh right sorry I see what you mean. Updated the post again I hope that's enough information. lol

Last edited:
You still have not defined gaming. You are on a cooking website. You should tailor you communications to your audience. Have you considered taking a communications course?

Oh, never mind.

Why so rude to the guy? Who knows, his second post might have been something like:

Please help me make a delicious Valentine meal for my wife.

but not now.... he's discovered we are too friendly................. not.

My thoughts on the hardcore gaming community is that anyone who lets gaming
interfere with their day to day "real life" is probably in need of counseling, because
they are using the game to escape something.

Why so rude to the guy? Who knows, his second post might have been something like:

Please help me make a delicious Valentine meal for my wife.

but not now.... he's discovered we are too friendly................. not.

My thoughts on the hardcore gaming community is that anyone who lets gaming
interfere with their day to day "real life" is probably in need of counseling, because
they are using the game to escape something.
Problem is, I would guess the guy is talking about video games, not gambling. Two different subject, not clearly defined, but most people refer to gambling games as gambling.

I don't judge communities. I judge individuals. I enjoy gaming, but do not do it very often. I probably play about 1-2 hours a month now (if that). My wife hates the games I play and we don't want our young kids seeing that type of stuff (talking about first person shooters here) so the only time I play is when I am home alone, which is not often.

Problem is, I would guess the guy is talking about video games, not gambling. Two different subject, not clearly defined, but most people refer to gambling games as gambling.
I think this gets right to the heart of his question about what people think. I would say it depends a large part on age. Those over say 40 or so probably think of gaming as gambling. Those younger most likely think of video games.

When I hear the term hardcore gaming community, the only thing I think of is video games. Gambling would never enter my mind for that.

haha

It is just a hobby, I find it no different than any other hobby one may do.

From Wickipedia:

Hardcore gamer is a widely used term applied to describe a type of video game player. There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term. Some describe hardcore gamers as those whose leisure time is largely devoted to playing video games. This type of gamer prefers to take significant time and practice on games, in contrast to a casual gamer. Many hardcore gamers pride themselves on mastering the rules or use of a game, although this is not a strict requirement. Conflicting opinion argues that it is not so much the time spent on games however, as casual gamers can spend hundreds of hours on games without ever mastering them. Competition is another defining characteristic of hardcore gamers, who often compete in organized tournaments, leagues, or ranked play integrated into the game proper. In this light, professional gamers can be seen as an extreme example of hardcore gaming. It's also been said[by whom?] that "core" gamers or hardcore gamers is someone that plays a variety of games, master a large amount of games, and know a lot about the industry and history of video games

The OP was either unwilling or unable to define the terms of his request. That kinda makes it hard to respond.

That being said, if video games are the topic, I know adults who spend far to much time on them, spend too much money acquiring all the major gaming platforms and ignoring other, more important real world activities.

However, that's just another (expensive) form of addiction. Add it to the list.

Back
Top Bottom