What camera do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
What camera do you use for your food photography? I love taking photos and my camera has broken so need to buy a new one and just wondered if any of you like taking photos of food and posting on here or on your blog what would be your choice specifically for taking food photos? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated:)

I use a Kodak EasyShare DX6490 that I bought back in 2002, but it still takes great pictures, has all the functions I want, and best of all, it's American made.

Last edited:
I use a Samsung (made by pentax) DSLR, with a kit lens, along with a vintage lens.

I also have a Canon S3 IS that I adore (about 5 or so years old). I really like Canon and Pentax cameras.

I have several other cameras too that I don't really use anymore.

Digital cameras have come a long way, even inexpensive (under $100) do a spectacular job nowadays.

Last edited:
I have three I use. My iPhone 4 camera is an excellent camera for what it is. I use it frequently and have gotten some great shots with it.

I also have a Canon S90 which is an excellent little point and shoot. It is exceptional at low light photography. I hardly use it anymore though since I got my iPhone. The Canon is the better camera, but I have the iPhone on me all the time so it gets used.

My favorite camera is my Nikon D7000 with a lens ranging from 11-300mm.

What type of photographer are you? Do you know what you are doing or do you want to just push a button and have the camera figure out the rest?

Nikon D80, with 28-80 2.8, I like the 50mm Prime 1.4, and sometimes, the 28-300 3.6 with MACRO.

You can see the results here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tattrat/sets/72157626468938807/

50mm
4707158659_4c1824caeb_b.jpg

From the 28-80
5871961700_3eb402d08b_b.jpg

From the 28-300
5871959266_21990a97ee_b.jpg

Last edited:
My earlier photos were with a Canon Rebel t21. But, since my separation, I have left it at the house for my daughter to use. I am now using a Sony Cybershot. It has a "Food" setting and I don't really see any difference from the automatic setting....

Actually, I think camera brand is less important. Any of the major camera brands will do the job. What you have to decide is how involved you want to be and how much you want to spend.

As with cooking, good tools do not guarantee a good result.

Last edited:
Actually, I think camera brand is less important.
I have to disagree here. There are huge differences between some brands. Actually, what you said was anymajor camera brand. I supposed since you said major camera brand that I can agree with you somewhat, but not completely.

Dedicated camera companies like Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc are pretty much at the point where the big differences are between features and not optics. Thee are still differences between them though. For instance, I find Nikons to have slightly sharper focus than Canons all other things being equal.

Some cameras do not reproduce colors as accurately as others. This is especially noticable with brands that are not only camera brands (Think HP and others like that).

The most important thing to getting a great shot is the photographer. A photographer who is good can get great shots with any camera. Now if you are like most people you want great shots, but don't really have an interest in actual photography then you will want a point and shot that all you have to do is press the button and you are done. Major camera brand point and shoots are what will work in that case, and as Andy says, it will be the features and level on control that you will be looking at.

What type of photographer are you? Do you know what you are doing or do you want to just push a button and have the camera figure out the rest?

I know what I'm doing when it comes to taking photos as my father and my uncle were both professional photographers back in the day but it's more if it's worth spending that extra bit of money for a DSLR if a point and shoot can still get good results when it comes to food photos. I must admit I like taking shots of food with the background blurred out and with a point and shoot that will be difficult if impossible I guess to achieve?

Thanks for everyones comments so far and also the great photos and feedback:)

jonnyjonny_uk said:
I know what I'm doing when it comes to taking photos as my father and my uncle were both professional photographers back in the day but it's more if it's worth spending that extra bit of money for a DSLR if a point and shoot can still get good results when it comes to food photos. I must admit I like taking shots of food with the background blurred out and with a point and shoot that will be difficult if impossible I guess to achieve?

Thanks for everyones comments so far and also the great photos and feedback:)

You can get that blur with a point and shoot, but not to the degree that you can with a DSLR. The portrait setting on a point and shoot can help with this.

Something you might want to consider is a micro 2/3 camera. If you are not familiar with them they are like a cross between a point and shoot and an SLR. They have smaller sensors and smaller bodies, but do have interchangeable lenses. They give you full manual control like an SLR. The issue I have with them though is that they are not much less expensive than an SLR and because they are pretty new there are not a whole lot of lenses available yet.

You can get great food shots with a point and shoot. If you are looking to not spend a lot then absolutely get a P&S.

You can get that blur with a point and shoot, but not to the degree that you can with a DSLR. The portrait setting on a point and shoot can help with this.

I never realised that, thanks.

Something you might want to consider is a micro 2/3 camera. If you are not familiar with them they are like a cross between a point and shoot and an SLR. They have smaller sensors and smaller bodies, but do have interchangeable lenses. They give you full manual control like an SLR. The issue I have with them though is that they are not much less expensive than an SLR and because they are pretty new there are not a whole lot of lenses available yet.

You can get great food shots with a point and shoot. If you are looking to not spend a lot then absolutely get a P&S.

I have seen them and was a little put off with paying that price when you could get a full SLR. Having said that I liked the look of the Canon G12 because it was small and compact but has most of the features a SLR has. I'm looking around the $600 mark and now it seems a toss up between the Canon G12 and an entry level Canon or Nikon SLR.

I am not sold on the micro 2/3's either. If they were say half the price of an SLR then it might make more sense, but the prices are so close to a full SLR that why not go that way?

Check out the Canon S90 S95 or S100 (they are all version of the same, just updated through the years). They are within your price range and are one of the best P&S camera I have ever seen. They are amazing at low light, which often times is an issue with food photography. It also has full manual controls and they are easy to use unlike some P&S with full manual control.

The blur effect comes from the aperature size. The larger the aperature (small the f stop number) the more blur you will get. SLR's make it easy to adjust the aperature and different lenses will give you different aperatures. A P&H can get the same sort of effect just usually not as damatic as the aperture on a P&S is usually smaller and less easily controllable.

Thanks Andy, just goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune on a camera to achieve good shots. I still want the ability to mess around a bit which is the only reason I'm thinking about something further up the range.

Cheers,

Jonny.

Thanks Andy, just goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune on a camera to achieve good shots. I still want the ability to mess around a bit which is the only reason I'm thinking about something further up the range.

Cheers,

Jonny.

I agree with GB that a DSLR is the way to go if you're serious. They allow much better and easier control of the important photo factors of aperture and shutter speed. That and the availability of different lenses gives you a better tool.

I use a Kodak EasyShare DX6490 that I bought back in 2002, but it still takes great pictures, has all the functions I want, and best of all, it's American made.

Ditto what he said. I try to buy American Made any chance I can. It is getting harder and harder. Oh yeah! I have the same Kodak also.

Unfortunately they are going belly up. Their downfall started many moons ago when Polaroid came out with their first camera. Kodak came out with their own version of the Polaroid type camera but lost the lawsuit for patent infringement. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom