"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
Head Chef

Oh yes, the weird converstaions, like the time I was making breakfast and my father asked for a cup of coffee and I said "sure join the queue, but you'll have to wait til this guy has stopped hitting me"......I said it in french....my father cracked up laughing and I woke up....

Old 11-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #12
Head Chef

GB, I would sleepwalk but also sleep talk.

Would apparently talk to people and have conversations and would absolutely remember nothing in the AM.

Am generally a fairly quiet person but in my sleep was apparently quite loquatious.

Anyway it apparently stopped many years ago.

I would not worry about it unless it becomes habitual.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I never experienced sleepwalking as a child but as an adult I had a number of episodes (the last being when I was in my mid-thirties, I guess). My first experience, I'm told, was when I was 23. I was standing at the end of the bed growling at my (now ex-) husband like a dog. That's quite fitting, actually, since he was a dog! (I have no memory of this at all.) Another episode or two had him calling my mother, who insisted I go to the doctor. They did some sort of test (memory fails me) where they attached electrodes to my head to measure my brainwaves. Everything checked out fine. The neurologist told me adult-onset sleepwalking is frequently caused by stress.

The last episode I experienced was about 10 years ago and was much more scary to me. I remember dreaming very vividly in this one. I dreamt I was locked in a boxcar on a train and I was screaming to be let out and beating on the door. When I woke up, I was actually closed up in my small 1/2 bathroom with the lights off. I was completely disoriented when I awakened but I managed to figure out where I was and find the light switch.

I had been beating on the walls. The reason I know this is I'd knocked the glass off the vanity and cut my hand in the process. There was glass all over the floor and blood on the wall from the cut on my hand. This was very, very disturbing. But it also occurred during another period of high stress in my life. I haven't had another incident since (at least, not that I'm aware of).

Fraidy
Old 11-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sorry GB I have nothing to add. I can only imagine how unsettling this is! Can you go ahead and get a few meals pre-made for the next week and freeze them since you're up anyway? Sorry, just trying to make the best use of time here! Hey, maybe it's time to get those furry handcuffs out and...

(go ahead - you can thump my forehead)

Edited to say - you know I'm j/k, right?

You seem to be the kind of person that would internalize a lot of stress from work. It's got to come out somewhere. I hope it is just a one-time occurrence. It would scare me to no end if it were me. You know I didn't mean to trivialize it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

My dh has a younger brother that was really one for sleepwalking. He would usually walk to someone else's bedroom and just stand there. He never bothered anyone, but usually someone would just take him back to bed. It was a bit frightening to me when my children were small and he went to their room. Luckily he made enough noise that I knew when he moved about. I don't know if there is something that can be done about it. I had a friend who had a brother that would move his bedroom furniture about when he was sleepwalking - that was really a bother to them. I suppose they outgrow it.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #16
Head Chef

I did a lot of sleepwalking as a child - one time my parents found me in the kitchen having a dish of ice cream. They took me to bed and the next morning I didn't remember a thing. This continued for about 6 months and then there was no more sleepwalking. My mother talked to our doctor and he said possible stress.

I am sure there are studies on the subject and I can imagine how weird it must be for you to find yourself sleepwalking. Good luck.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #17
Senior Cook

i sleepwalk.i don't remember anything either. i just get told about it in the morning. it mostly happens to me when i'm stressed out or have lots on my mind.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I used to have a problem when someone called on the phone - I would answer and talk to them and not remember they had called. My sister said she could ask me questions and I would give the right answer, but I never knew she called until she told me later. I also did that when my dh was working night shift, but I was terribly stressed handling two small children then, so I think I was probably sleep deprived and very tired. I should have read the last couple of posts. Then I would know how my excess weight came about: I must be eating icecream in my sleep!(:)
Old 11-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I've never walked in my sleep that I know of, but both my husband and I have talked in our sleep (meaning he talked to me when I thought he was awake and he wasnt, and the same for me), which is a form of sleep walking without the walking part. I've read online that when a person is sleep walking (or talking) they have open eyes sometimes, and a very blank, almost emotionless look to their face.

I've also read that sleep walking in adults is usually related to stress, and sometimes a lack of deep sleep. So I guess if you have some stress, your mind is still very active, which makes it difficult to get a good nights sleep.

I wouldnt be too concerned about it..it's not as if this is an ongoing problem for you.

Must have been kind of weird for your wife though
Old 11-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
The last episode I experienced was about 10 years ago and was much more scary to me. I remember dreaming very vividly in this one. I dreamt I was locked in a boxcar on a train and I was screaming to be let out and beating on the door. When I woke up, I was actually closed up in my small 1/2 bathroom with the lights off. I was completely disoriented when I awakened but I managed to figure out where I was and find the light switch.

I had been beating on the walls. The reason I know this is I'd knocked the glass off the vanity and cut my hand in the process. There was glass all over the floor and blood on the wall from the cut on my hand. This was very, very disturbing. But it also occurred during another period of high stress in my life. I haven't had another incident since (at least, not that I'm aware of).

Fraidy
My husband had something like this happen to him a few months ago. He was at work, where they all have small private bedrooms, when he dreamed he'd been locked in a shipping crate. He remembers yelling and beating on the walls. Then waking up, standing there. I'm absolutely amazed he didn't wake any of the other firefighters (especially since they are all such light sleepers at work) or break the door down, he's a strong guy. Kinda scary.

Hopefully this is a one time stroll, GB.