What could you do "then" that you can't do "now?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I thought this might be an interesting topic.

I ran across this old picture of our local pier as it looked the year I swam around it as a kid on a dare and lived to tell the tale.

Steve Dibblee Portfolios

Good Golly Miss Molly, that was a long time ago. I can barely swim a few laps in a pool now. :ohmy:

You?

Last edited:
I can't run anywhere any more. I used to run the 5 miles to school and back every day, dodging gopher holes in the fields.

All sorts of things come to mind, about all I can do now is write checks and repeat old stories that even bore me. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I guess the thing I miss most is the ability to pull an all nighter when I need to get things done. That used to be pretty standard procedure when the apartment needed painting or I needed a zillion Christmas cookies. I would come home from work and start a project that would last all night and half of the next day with energy to spare.

I use a kneelng pad with grab bars while gardening. Given as a gift about 10 years ago. Sure comes in handy getting up off my knees. Tip it the other way to sit on.

I used to get into bed at night and be sound asleep in less than 15 seconds. My next conscious thought was 7, 8 or 9 hours later to shut off the damn alarm. Now I'm lucky to sleep for a two or three hour stretch without waking up.

That's the "G" rated version.

Andy, I was just going to post the same thing. I used to go to bed and fall asleep within minutes, and sleep thru the night. (and not very long ago) Now, it takes me a while to fall asleep and even if I limit fluids in the evenings, I'm still up every couple of hours to...well, ya know... :huh: :)

Running, too...I wouldn't even attempt that anymore. sigh....

Hi Uncle Bob!

I used to grow all my annuals, perennials, and vegetables from seed, under grow lights, in the basement. I also grew a vast collection of orchids and African violets downstairs. I had the lights on timers, heating cables for the seeds. It was quite the setup, and a huge amount of work. I also had a lot of houseplants, terrariums, etc. upstairs. Plants everywhere. Way too much work!

Now I'm down to a dozen orchids, a couple violets, a few houseplants inside, and I buy my annuals and vegetable plants from the local greenhouse. The former plant shelves now hold Costco overflow supplies.

Last edited:
Ride my bicycle. I could ride it all day and never get tired or sore. I loved my bike. When I lived in Texas and was pregnant with Poo, I rode a bike right up to the end of my seventh month. I had to stop only because my knees kept hitting the bottom of my tummy as I pedaled. :angel:

Pretty much everything!

I can't swim as my knee replacement won't kick properly (and I am just not strong enough) - I was a great swimmer when I was young.

I can't run at all, not that I was ever a great runner; I can't walk distances without a cane; I can't see past my nose without glasses; I can't play the piano anymore.

Oh, and I can't twist my thumb behind my knuckles and cross all four fingers on top of each other on both hands! :ROFLMAO:

Up hill in both directions too! :LOL:
Woo-hoo! Nice to see you, Uncle Bob! I used to run 10 km/day. I also used to swim 1 mile/day (and, in the winter, I x-c skied 10-15 km/day). The training for x-c skiing included running up and down the downhill ski hills. I still swim, not 1 mile/day, but doubt I could make it to the end of the laneway running--my knees and ankles are shot.

My bald spot is not expanding. I am simply growing taller than my hair.

I prefer to bike around the lake rather than walk it. ( 3.5 miles or so). But at least I get out. Not daily like I used to tho.

I can't ride a bike anymore, and walking is very limited. So many things I can't do, so I'm just grateful for the things I can.

I can make it through payday shopping (just barely), I can still cook and clean although it may take longer with rest periods. I have a comfortable apartment and can, with care, live within my means.

I've been able to adjust my expectations for myself and have learned to live life a little more quietly. If I hadn't, I'd have gone stark, raving bonkers.

Until recently I used to say that when I was working full time I could do my morning stable work and horse care in 45 minutes but now I'm older it takes all morning.

However, I was in a hurry the other day so didn't keep stopping for cups of tea, sandwiches, cake, biscuits and a chat in the cafe at regular intervals. It took me 45 minutes.:LOL:

Last edited:
As far as my athletic ability I think I was at my peak during my 40's. I ran and cycled faster and farther during those years than during my younger days.
I'll turn 60 this year and I can still sit in the saddle for 15 hours, cycling, but just not as fast.

Last edited:
As far as my athletic ability I think I was at my peak during my 40's. I ran and cycled faster and farther during those years than during my younger days.
I'll turn 60 this year and I can still sit in the saddle for 15 hours, cycling, but just not as fast.

That's pretty darn good, roadfix. We have a 63 YO friend who is cycling from San Diego to Boston this summer. More power to him.

That's pretty darn good, roadfix. We have a 63 YO friend who is cycling from San Diego to Boston this summer. More power to him.

Funny thing is, many long distance cyclists tend to be middle aged or even older. They can sit in the saddle and crank for several hours a day, multiple days. Good luck to your friend, I'm sure he'll do fine.

For some reason the many long distance cycling events that I've participated in never seemed to attract the younger crowd. I think they were more interested in bike racing (circuits and stage races).

Back
Top Bottom