"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

My parents gave me a Waring Pro Food Slicer and from my brother I got a screwdriver set and a tool case for my tools. The last time he came over to fix something he asked me for a screwdriver and I did not have one. And then I could not find another tool that he needed. Now I can store and find them all in one place.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Well Santa brought me some gifts, but tomorrow we celebrate Chanukah with my family so there is more to come. Today I got a bunch of things, but the highlights were two books.

The first is:
Rachael Ray
356: No Repeats

I have looked at her cookbooks before and even though I have made a few of her recipes and loved them, I have never been impressed with her cookbooks. This one however looks great! It is a different concept from the normal cookbook. It is not broken down into sections like Soups, Chicken, Beef, Etc. It is a collection of 366 (for leap year) recipes so you can start at the beginning and work your way through the book and have a different meal every day of the year. The recipes look awesome too. I got to about page 130ish before I found a recipe I did not want to make.

The other book I got is On Food And Cooking by Harold McGee. I have wanted this book for a long time and I am so happy my MIL remembered that

Old 12-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Yup, Barb and Middie are right. Corazon wins the prize for Best Christmas Gift Ever! PA comes in a very close second but that's only because it was an early present! Myself, I got what I wanted! Port Wine cheese, summer sausage and crackers. I had also asked for a nice scarf and leave it to Mom, she's knitting one for me with baby Alpaca, natural color. Sweet. Gotta love Moms!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I just can't help myself...I got this for x-mas!
Aww, precious child! What a gift! You are so blessed.

My husband gave some cash to spend on myself, and IOU for a new fridge, which we are going to get next week, and I got thoughtfull gifts from the kids, who worry about me. My daughter got me a pampered chef chopper, because she was worried about me cutting myself. (I do it pretty regularly.) My step-daughter got me some flexible silicone bakeware because she is worried about me burning myself. (I do that pretty often, too.) I also got a Betty Crocker "Celebrate" cookbook, that has menus and recipes for various holidays. I've already spotted an "Irish Cream Pie" made with Bailey's and a chocolate crumb crust that looks amazing.

The best gift was the company of my loved ones. Even though one was missing who should have been here, I found joy in the ones who were.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
Executive Chef

3 extra pounds
Old 12-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
3 extra pounds
My darling Wasabi, if you've only gained three pounds during the Holiday Season so far, slap on Hawaiian Tropics and waltz down the beach! Look at the rest of us! Cold, pasty and on my part, doughy. Just speaking for me, of course! I'm sure you're doing fine!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:00 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Damp made me smile for Christmas.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:24 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
. I had also asked for a nice scarf and leave it to Mom, she's knitting one for me with baby Alpaca, natural color. Sweet. Gotta love Moms!
some poor little baby alpaca out there is freezing it's butt off, thanks to mom damp!!! unless........ say it ain't so. they sheer alpacas, don't they? please tell me it's not another disturbing childhood episode of bambi?
damp, i hope you poke your eye out with that scarf. or at least get an itchy rash!!!

lol, just teasing buddy, merry christmas, and hugs to your mom. and yes, moms are great. my mom knitted dw a scarf as well this year.

for me, santa left 2 cookbooks ("lidia's italian american kitchen", and "roasting", by rodney dunn), an oxo-good grips mandoline, a large, carry around tool box so all of my hammers and screwdrivers don't end up in junk drawers and bedside tables (women! sheesh!), a pair of craftsman automotive work gloves, hickory chips for flavoring charcoal, norwegian blackberry preserves, some nice sweaters, a framed picture of my parents, and a bunch of baby kisses throughout the day from my son. he was pretty generous with them to my parents also.

guess which was my favorite present?

(i still haven't gotten the train set, dolphins, or world peace... )

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:53 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Ahhhh Cora!!!! What a cutie! I bet you're going to have a ton of fun with him. Enjoy every second!

My list is way toooo long to type out but
my most favorites... lots of new snowmen, fishing pole and tackle box,
and a writing tablet for my computer! It's so cool!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #20
Master Chef

BT, don't worry, they shear Alpacas like sheep. It makes for very soft material too.