"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #21
Executive Chef

It's also summer down there right now, so we don't have to worry about them shivering in the cold.

I've heard that Alpaca wool is finer than silk? That ought to make for an interesting fabric.

I got a bunch of candy from work, and four pullover fleece sweaters. One from my parents, one from the head pro at work, one from my boss, and one from another cook. Luckily they're all different colors.

I also managed to get a housefull of sick kids. It started with Justin bringing home tonsilitis and an ear infection. It spread to the little ones, and now Stephen (the oldest) has strep. Joy.

Looks like I need to make some chicken soup tonight. Luckily, we have lots of OJ on hand, so they'll get some vitamin C.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:44 AM   #22
Master Chef

Oh no, Allen, that's awful. Poor babies! I hate seeing my kids that sick. Tonsilitis and Strep is some nasty stuff. Hope they feel better soon!!

Old 12-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #23
Executive Chef

He brought me several nice things - some saphire and diamond earrings - tickets to a Sing!Sing! concert, a beautiful bird bath, homespa gloves and socks with stuff inside to make me beautiful, a pretty bracelet, more candy than I need to eat in a year. He did NOT bring me a food saver but I went to Kohl's for their early bird sale - and they were out 30 minutes after opening and almost no one in the store. I think that is my second and last trip there. Both times they didn't have anything that I went for that was advertised. The guy wouldn't let me have the demo item either. Also, when I tried to order it online with 99cent shipping - it is not available. We did have a wonderful Christmas. We all ate enough, but didn't overdo it. Of course, we still have lots of food left - desserts were hardly touched so I sent that home with the kids.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to 240brickman Send a message via Yahoo to 240brickman
I got a rock

Ha ha, no, I got some good stuff.

The "biggest" gift I got, both in terms of weight and monetary value, is a kitchen island (AKA a spare countertop). 36" high, just like my regular countertops; butcher-block top; towel rack on the left; knife block on the right (although I don't usually block my "better" knives); there's shelving in the cabinet below, and I can get an optional Wine Rack to attach inside. I'm supposed to wait until this evening before I can use it (there are dowels throught it, and I'm supposed to let the glue dry thoroughly).

So my counter-space has essentially doubled...twice the mess!

Another highlight: friends of mine got me a very nice apron, which sports the words WILL GRILL FOR SEX down the front.

I can't wait until the days get longer again...I can wear it on my front porch, while it's still light out. The words are printed large enough to be visible from across the street

--J

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/103...75_1037746.jpg
240brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to 240brickman Send a message via Yahoo to 240brickman
...Oh, I almost forgot...

The same friends also got me a T-shirt (also very nice), which says, "The Griller" in large letters across the top; then, in slightly smaller letters below, it says, "if you can't stand the heat, go get me a beer".

They know me too well.

--J

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/103...75_1037746.jpg
240brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #26
cartwheelmac

I got a composition notebook, spiderman pencils, Roseart pens, Madagascar, $25, Peanut's Lucy PEZ dispenser (Funny Mom says I am like her!), and calendar from paternal grandparents. Caboodles bath and body crap (Bleack!!! Just get me a gymnastic intruction manual or somethin) from our Dad's brother and family. VeggieTales The Star of Christmas (Great movie but we already have one!) from Mom's sister and family and New Year's eve we are going to our maternal grandparents for Christmas. OH! and tonight we are opening Secret Santa presents!!

OH NO!!!! My birthday is in a month!! And I don't have a list!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Cameron
Old 12-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #27
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I'm a spoilt brat. I got a lovely handbag, covered in sequins, a set of pink kitchen scales, an MP3 player and a stripey water resistant watch, that I can wear in the pool.

My mum sent me a package from Australia, I think she forgot that I lost 57lbs this year and bought me pyjamas in my old size, she's going to get a shock when I go home in July!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #28
Master Chef

Everyone got such cool stuff!! I'm glad that it was a good Christmas for you all!
Old 12-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
My mum sent me a package from Australia, I think she forgot that I lost 57lbs this year and bought me pyjamas in my old size, she's going to get a shock when I go home in July!!!
Please try to take her picture at the moment she sees you--That will be such a priceless photo! You have done so well Kylie! I am so proud of you!!

Happy New Year!!

Barbara
Old 12-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Kyles.............57 lbs............