"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots
I didn't get ANYTHING food or cooking related - boo! Every year I write down all the gadgets, cookbooks, pans I want and this year my requests were ignored.
James and I were walking through a store a couple weeks ago. We were passing the 'Ove' Gloves, so I stopped and pointed and said, "HINT, HINT!!--I've been hinting for these for a couple years now!" This year I got two of them.

Barbara

Old 12-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #32
Master Chef

I had a wonderful, peaceful and quiet day with my 4 guys (DH and 3 boys). DH and I didn't go all out this year on one another. I was going to surprise him with a trip to Las Vegas but we were talking in November and we decided we'd all take a trip in the late spring/early summer out to New York, New York.....I think my boys will be completely blown away as well as DH and I.

DH got me a gift certificate for me to get my hair cut and highlighted......he gave it to mea 4 days early and I was able to have it done before Christmas. Boy did I need it...........I had approximately 16 - 18 inches cut off in all. Its shorter than I thought it was going to be but its so much healthier and besides my hair grows like a weed so I'll be longer before I know it.
He also bought me a gorgeous little jacket I fell in love and a funny calander with goofy looking animated cats and dogs.
The boys got me a really pretty candle holder with candles.

The best present of all was to beable to spend the day with all of them......a true family day where we weren't bothered by the phone or anyone have to be here or there. One where we ate too much, watched some wonderful movies and played board games.

As the boys get older and older I cherish these holidays even more. Only wished my mom, dad and brothers were here too.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Sounds like everyone had a great Christmas.
I did too. My hubby got me satellite radio which I've been wanting because I was really missing the music I used to hear in NY.
My boys treated me like a queen too.
Happy New Year to Everyone!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Re: "Out of Africa" - Why the exclamation point Toots? Do you like or hate it? I LOVE that movie (although husband hates it - lol). In fact, he bought it for me on DVD so I could watch it at will when he's not around - lol!!!! Romance, adventure, & true human spirit (as in everyone has their own personal human foibles - we ain't all perfect).
Its my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie! My husband is like yours, he bought it for me to watch when he isn't home!

Have you read the book? I read her biography a few years ago, she had such a fascinating life....
Old 12-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #35
Master Chef

Haven't read the book yet, but it's on my ever-burdgeoning "reading list" - lol!!! So many books, so little time!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Christmas Gifts

Got so many great presents....Finally got to talk to my Daughter, whom I have not seen it 8 years..She is in Texas and I am in South Carolina..but I talked to her and that is all that matters...Saving up for a plane ticket to see her this Spring..Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise
Old 12-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #37
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblonde29431
Got so many great presents....Finally got to talk to my Daughter, whom I have not seen it 8 years..She is in Texas and I am in South Carolina..but I talked to her and that is all that matters...Saving up for a plane ticket to see her this Spring..Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise
I hope you get to see your daughter in the spring. It is kind of the same here, I am in South Carolina and my daughter (and grandkids, dad, sister, and nephew) are all in California. It has been almost 4 years since we have seen them. Where are you in South Carolina, btw? I am at the border near Charlotte, NC.

Barbara
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Actually, I'm using mine to reply with

I also got Aerosmith's Greatist Hits :)

Sounds like everyone had an awesome Christmas!

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

What Santa brought

Nice Dell Dude... ..I also received the complete hardbound collection of Calvin and Hobbes...(A serious rabid fan of these two precosious (sic) characters..To bad Bill Waterson stopped writing...Oh and also received all the ingredients to make my favorite drink...Chocolate martini Oh yeah..wooo hooo
Old 12-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #40
Master Chef

I received many very nice things. But the best thing I got was a watercolor especially painted for me of the first fire lookout tower that I worked on when I first started working for the U.S. Forest Service. My brother gave this wonderful present to me and when I got it I was so happy that it made me cry.

I also got a new faucet for my kitchen from my parents. The old faucet was a cheapy plastic one that leaked everytime it was left on cold. The new one is a Moen faucet and I cannot wait to have it installed. My dad and brother said they would install it for me, if I made them dinner.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote