"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Santa in the forms of my children, grandchildren and Secret Santa made it possible for me to open quite a few gifts. I already told you about my gift baskets but, last night, I opened the rest of my gifts with my brother at his house after his Christmas party/open house.

What I can remember right now are three cookbooks...Baking with Julia, Culinary Artistry and Roadfood Sandwiches. I also received the DVD of Polar Express, which I love. A Reba McEntire CD, Reba Duets. Another book, sewing, called pretty little potholders, which will result in lots of folks getting potholders for Christmas next year.

One set of grandchildren gave me a digital picture frame loaded with tons of their photos and room on the card for lots more. Son, Aaron, and his wife gave me a pair of speakers for my new laptop. Now I can really, really enjoy my Pandora music.

Secret Santa was very good to me with a package of dark chocolate pomegranate candies. If I hadn't exercised some self-control I would've eaten the whole bag in one sitting. In addition to the candies, Secret Santa gave me the cutest set of Christmas salt and pepper shakers. I'm not sure how Santa knew Buck and I collected salt and pepper shakers. We have several hundred sets. There was also a beautiful ceramic tile with easel stand. The tile says, "I believe in old friends and new shoes." Perfect. I'm a shoeaholic. Buck gave me all sorts of shoe-related things over the years. Shoe ornaments, nightshirts with shoes printed on it, shoe needlepoint pillows.....

The last gift my Secret Santa gave me was a custom-made necklace. It's made out of Scrabble tiles and has my name spelled out. It's detailed with blue cording and blue beads. Blue is my favorite color. Love it. I've never had anything with my name or initials.

Thank you so much Secret Santa. Now I know why Barbara L was/is looking for old Scrabble tiles.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #62
Contest Winner

Just a Lump of Coal Again

Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Not sure I would want to hear my own voice telling me where to go!

Barbara
lol, uh oh, i hope my wife doesn't find out that she can download her voice.

reminds me of the old irish guy that was driving along a country road when his wife fell out of the car. a little farther up, the police stopped him. when he found out about his wife, he remarked "oh, thank god. i thought i'd finally gone deaf."

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #64
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, uh oh, i hope my wife doesn't find out that she can download her voice.

reminds me of the old irish guy that was driving along a country road when his wife fell out of the car. a little farther up, the police stopped him. when he found out about his wife, he remarked "oh, thank god. i thought i'd finally gone deaf."
Act 1, Scene 1. James is driving through an unfamiliar city. He turns on his Tom-Tom, newly programed with Barbara's voice. He punches in his destination. All seems to be going well.

Act 1, Scene 2. Suddenly the Tom-Tom goes haywire. It has gone silent. Frustrated, James shakes the Tom-Tom, yelling, "What street am I supposed to take?!" Barbara's voice, icy cold, says, "Well if you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you!"

Barbara
Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Actually, I'm sure you can find a "Joisey" voice! You can go online and download voices. You can even use your own voice. Not sure I would want to hear my own voice telling me where to go!

Barbara
rotflol!!! Yes, it is bad enough when other people tell me where to go.

Don't forget to tip your waiters! And for those reading, I'll be back tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
lol Barabra that sounds like me... only I'd say "Well you never listen to me anyway so figure it out on your own !".
Old 12-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #67
Master Chef

.... or just turn off when you thnik you know the way better ;o)
that's what I expect out Miss Becker to do (Becker Traffic Assist) one day

Santa brought us some more crockery and some more cutlery, lots of sweets and I think that's it...

DH and I stopped making christmas presents a few years ago.. we better invest in something bigger we need or we want to have, like a Saeco automatic espresso coffee machine, a new freezer, new sleeping room furniture or something like this...
this year we need a new fridge/freezer-combination for the kitchen..

oh.. and I almost forgot the gift I gave me:
A Canon 50D ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #68
Sous Chef

Santa brought me a set of table mats, a saffron facial soap, a bottle of pink nail polish a book on photoshop cs3.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #69
Executive Chef

The DW bought me 6 custom racing jerseys like this, and Ellie Kreiger cookbook, a basket with different oils, vinegars, spices etc.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #70
Senior Cook

A set of Copper Pots.
A gas powered leaf blower.
New Office chair for home.
Jack Black Products.
Money.

Over All, Pretty Good.