"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #31
Master Chef

I must really like a good fried chicken, as I remember going to Vic's Chicken, about two blocks from my home, when I was 6 years old, and purchasing a couple pieces of chicken and the baked beans that still inspire me to this day. The chicken was much like Broasted chicken in texture and flavor. But the beans weren't like any others in town. They were regular navy beans, in brown sugar, molasses, and onion, by with a little chili powder added. I remember thinking at the time that these were the best baked beans on the planet.

We moved down to the river when I was 7, and it was about 5 miles to town. I was a bit too young to be walking to Vic's Chicken.

Sadly, when KFC came to town, Vic's went under. KFC Closed its doors this year. It became too expensive, lesser quality, and there were legal problems. We now only have what we make at home, and the pressure fried chicken from the grocery stores, and Walmart. But it's all good, I have a seasoned flour recipe that makes darned good chicken. I do miss the KFC chicken though. I remember when and where I had my first piece, and how I loved all those 11 herbs and spices. It takes me 13 to make my chicken, and it's not as quick to get it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
More then good enough.

What kind of tea should I make for this delectable treat?

Addie, I can't think of a better way to go.
I have spread the fame of that cake far and wide. Every person I have even given just a bit to wants me to make another one. I tell them to learn to bake and make their own. "But I don't know how to bake." So they start by buying a can of cocoa. And we have a new baker in the neighborhood. I have three women in this building that make it for their grandchildren. I made one once for the Bingo crowd. That cake disappeared faster than a snowflake in Florida during the summer months. My girlfriend in Atlanta now makes it at least three times a years for her 95 y.o. father. And she makes it for every holiday meal. By request! And my grandson's wife has learned to make it. I think my grandson gave it the best name. "Death By Chocolate!"

I think my next conversion with be at the Church Fair next Fall. I will make one of them to sell by the slice along with a copy of the recipe. There will be a run on Hershey's Cocoa.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I must really like a good fried chicken, as I remember going to Vic's Chicken, about two blocks from my home, when I was 6 years old, and purchasing a couple pieces of chicken and the baked beans that still inspire me to this day. The chicken was much like Broasted chicken in texture and flavor. But the beans weren't like any others in town. They were regular navy beans, in brown sugar, molasses, and onion, by with a little chili powder added. I remember thinking at the time that these were the best baked beans on the planet.

We moved down to the river when I was 7, and it was about 5 miles to town. I was a bit too young to be walking to Vic's Chicken.

Sadly, when KFC came to town, Vic's went under. KFC Closed its doors this year. It became too expensive, lesser quality, and there were legal problems. We now only have what we make at home, and the pressure fried chicken from the grocery stores, and Walmart. But it's all good, I have a seasoned flour recipe that makes darned good chicken. I do miss the KFC chicken though. I remember when and where I had my first piece, and how I loved all those 11 herbs and spices. It takes me 13 to make my chicken, and it's not as quick to get it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, you are not missing much. I do believe since salt is cheaper than any of the other spices, they now use mostly salt. The last time I tasted it, I had to spit out the very first bite. Not because of any salt restrictions that I am presently not even on, but because it was so salty it was like taking a swallow of sea water. Make it at home. You won't be sorry. If I am going to buy premade fried chicken, I have The Pirate pick me up a few pieces at Shaw's supermarket. Cheap and very tasty.