What Did You Eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get your intent with this thread Chief, and agree that we live in a different world now where we need to be more cautious. My brother and I are native SoCals and yes, we rode our bikes all over the place and that was fine, as long as we were home around the time the streetlights came on. :)

"150" years old is a bit of a stretch :rolleyes: but yes, several of us here are of mature age. :ermm::LOL: Technology is great and I get a lot of info online, but I still refer to my late grandmother's old cookbooks, with her notes and checkmarks of her tried and true recipes.

As far as 'what did we eat' back then, I have to do some more thinking about it, but the first thing that came to mind is fondue. LOL During the 60's and early 70's, my mom and dad thought it was great fun to have a fondue night every couple of weeks. Us kids loved it too, I still can hear the cubed meat sizzling in the hot oil. Every now and then it would be cheese and bread cubes. It's making a comeback now, I thought about buying my daughter a fondue pot for Christmas a couple of years ago, but decided against it because my grands are still so very young. Maybe in a few years.
Oh yes fondue!

Sometime in the 1970s I lugged a Le Creuset enamelled cast iron fondue set home from Paris on the train and ferry! We thought we were SO sophisticated when we entertained with it. In time it fell out of use and in the 90s the Man of the Moment wanted to throw it out to the charity shop. I won that one and now I'm glad I did. The Man of the Moment got his marching orders long ago but the fondue set is back in use.;)

It's all good. Bringing treats to Zagut's. My baking sucks, but I do make a mean microwave peanut brittle.

That's arrogant! Well, it takes one to recognize one.

You are clearly stating that your choices are better than mine, and that mine are to be pitied - Oh really, however do you work that one out?

Judging by the replies, I think you are the one who is out of step.

Tense down MC. :neutral:

To each his/her own.

Perception is a varied thing on this here intardnet.

Taking offence does nothing to change perception.

Live and let live is the only way to view matters in this day and age of modern technology. ;)

It's all good. Bringing treats to Zagut's. My baking sucks, but I do make a mean microwave peanut brittle.

Peanut Brittle :yum:

I don't give a rass what device it was made in. :rolleyes:

If it shows up at my door and all I have to make is Java and Tea for it then I'm good to go. :yum:

I do grind my own coffee beans if that matters. ;)

Tense down MC. :neutral:

To each his/her own.

Perception is a varied thing on this here intardnet.

Taking offence does nothing to change perception.

Live and let live is the only way to view matters in this day and age of modern technology. ;)
Not tense at all.

I agree with you about "live and let live". Unfortunately, some people don't.

Disagreeing with a thread or something someone has said, and saying so, is one thing but ranting on like Silver Sage and Steve Kroll have done, respectively, on this and another thread is childish, mean-minded and dangerously close to advocating censorship. For goodness sake, stamping feet and threatening never to darken our doors again just because they don't like the topic is pretty far down the maturity scale.

Fortunately, most of us who contributed to the thread supported the OP and have enjoyed the thread. There may be others who didn't but held their peace, which is entirely their own choice

Last edited:
Let the sunshine of spring and summer in.

Winter is over.

Drama queens are to be ignored.

Come on over.

What ya bringing BTW ?

Gotta make my Tea & Java worth it. ;)

...Disagreeing with a thread or something someone has said, and saying so, is one thing but ranting on like Silver Sage and Steve Kroll have done, respectively, on this and another thread is childish, mean-minded and dangerously close to advocating censorship. For goodness sake, stamping feet and threatening never to darken our doors again just because they don't like the topic is pretty far down the maturity scale...

...and this type of characterization of other members is inappropriate, fosters ill will and is absolutely unnecessary.

I must really like a good fried chicken, as I remember going to Vic's Chicken, about two blocks from my home, when I was 6 years old, and purchasing a couple pieces of chicken and the baked beans that still inspire me to this day. The chicken was much like Broasted chicken in texture and flavor. But the beans weren't like any others in town. They were regular navy beans, in brown sugar, molasses, and onion, by with a little chili powder added. I remember thinking at the time that these were the best baked beans on the planet.

We moved down to the river when I was 7, and it was about 5 miles to town. I was a bit too young to be walking to Vic's Chicken.

Sadly, when KFC came to town, Vic's went under. KFC Closed its doors this year. It became too expensive, lesser quality, and there were legal problems. We now only have what we make at home, and the pressure fried chicken from the grocery stores, and Walmart. But it's all good, I have a seasoned flour recipe that makes darned good chicken. I do miss the KFC chicken though. I remember when and where I had my first piece, and how I loved all those 11 herbs and spices. It takes me 13 to make my chicken, and it's not as quick to get it.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:yum: More then good enough.

What kind of tea should I make for this delectable treat?

Addie, I can't think of a better way to go. :LOL:

I have spread the fame of that cake far and wide. Every person I have even given just a bit to wants me to make another one. I tell them to learn to bake and make their own. "But I don't know how to bake." So they start by buying a can of cocoa. And we have a new baker in the neighborhood. I have three women in this building that make it for their grandchildren. I made one once for the Bingo crowd. That cake disappeared faster than a snowflake in Florida during the summer months. My girlfriend in Atlanta now makes it at least three times a years for her 95 y.o. father. And she makes it for every holiday meal. By request! And my grandson's wife has learned to make it. I think my grandson gave it the best name. "Death By Chocolate!"

I think my next conversion with be at the Church Fair next Fall. I will make one of them to sell by the slice along with a copy of the recipe. There will be a run on Hershey's Cocoa. :angel:

Last edited:
I must really like a good fried chicken, as I remember going to Vic's Chicken, about two blocks from my home, when I was 6 years old, and purchasing a couple pieces of chicken and the baked beans that still inspire me to this day. The chicken was much like Broasted chicken in texture and flavor. But the beans weren't like any others in town. They were regular navy beans, in brown sugar, molasses, and onion, by with a little chili powder added. I remember thinking at the time that these were the best baked beans on the planet.

We moved down to the river when I was 7, and it was about 5 miles to town. I was a bit too young to be walking to Vic's Chicken.

Sadly, when KFC came to town, Vic's went under. KFC Closed its doors this year. It became too expensive, lesser quality, and there were legal problems. We now only have what we make at home, and the pressure fried chicken from the grocery stores, and Walmart. But it's all good, I have a seasoned flour recipe that makes darned good chicken. I do miss the KFC chicken though. I remember when and where I had my first piece, and how I loved all those 11 herbs and spices. It takes me 13 to make my chicken, and it's not as quick to get it.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, you are not missing much. I do believe since salt is cheaper than any of the other spices, they now use mostly salt. The last time I tasted it, I had to spit out the very first bite. Not because of any salt restrictions that I am presently not even on, but because it was so salty it was like taking a swallow of sea water. Make it at home. You won't be sorry. If I am going to buy premade fried chicken, I have The Pirate pick me up a few pieces at Shaw's supermarket. Cheap and very tasty. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom