"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
What Did You Eat!

What are some of the, at one time common, things you used to eat and enjoy, but are now, either no longer available, or are considered weird? For me, I remember enjoying these:

Head cheese, picked pigs feet, potted meat sandwiches, sandwichs made from ground bologna to which Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish were mixed in, A & W Root Beer from the gallon, glass jug, A&W Root Beer Floats from the A&W Root Beer stand, Burgers carried to the car and placed on the side window by young ladies on roller skates, Steak sandwich made from a grilled New York Strip, place between two slices of white bread, with A1 Steak Sauce (at a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant on Broadway Ave., in San Diego), the Paul Bunyon Half pound burger served at Antler's REstaurant in my home town, or the 3/4 lb. Big C at Clyde's Drive in, again in my home town, Deep Fried burritos at Jack in the Box, Pigs in the blanket made with whole hot-dogs wrapped in fresh, yeasty bread dough (in grade school hot lunch program), squeeky cheese curds from a local cheeese factory (no longer exists), great strawberry malts from department store soda jerks, PDQ rgg Nog, or Chocolate Beads, pop rocks, baseball bubble gum.

Finally, I remember getting freshly made popcorn balls, and caramel apples at on Halloween without having to worry about whether the food was safe.

Our world has changed, and I don't think for the better. I'd trade in my cell phone, and computer to have the freedom and community trust that was enjoyed when i was a boy.
That's about all I can remember right now.

__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,953
A&W root beer in a Frosty Glass Mug. the only A&w I know is located in a shopping mall and serves RB in Styrofoam, since replaced with cardboard cups. It doesn't taste the same.

Pickled eggs, served out of a large jar at a bar. Don't go to bars for the drinking anymore, just the big screen sports TV's <-- which is an improvement. Also, they have chicken wings now

Have to buy Mexican or Kosher coca cola to get Real CokaCola.

All the local KFC franchises locally have changed to PopeYes. Have to go to a not very close suburb if you want KFC.

I eat vegetables and like them. O wait, I liked veggies as a kid too.
My mom canned garden veggies like you buy canned at the store, mushy over-cooked. I still like green beans this way, although I cook them, and most veggies crisp/ al dente.

I like Jello, esp red flavor. I no longer like or drink Kool Aid, which us kids made with Jello if we were out of kool aid.

I used to make tuna or deli turkey sandwiches -for work most days. Developed an aversion to deli turkey, if it's not real turkey on the bone, I won't eat it. Luckily for the little girls, I still love tuna. I just don't make very many sandwiches at home now. In fact, most times a loaf of bread grows beyond stale before I can use a whole loaf. Yes, I sometimes divide and freeze partial loaves.

I think my tastes have changed in that I prefer tart, savory, even hot flavors rather than Sweet. This may be a good thing.
__________________

__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,953
More...

I grew up on a farm, and we raised our own beef and pigs. So, yes made head cheese and beef tongue and used most parts you don't find at the local market. Mom cooked down lard by the gallons, and we cooked with that or bacon fat. Luckily, I rediscovered Lard and can get it from a butcher shop. Makes the Best pie crusts.

We were a Miracle Whip Family, and I married a Miracle Whip Girl, or maybe I should just say Miracle Girl. Somewhere I took a right turn and decided I like Mayonnaise better. Maybe that's reason 642 we divorced. I forget. Ah well, we still love each other. She's still a MW girl. She makes the best homemade mayonnaise using a stick blender when only mayo will do. I think it even has raw eggs in it, but I do Not want to know for sure.
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,875
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I was a kid, I used to like an open-faced, hard boiled egg sandwich with an anchovy on top. I find the anchovy a bit much nowadays.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
There are a number of things that I used to eat when I was a young'un...pork brains scrambled with eggs, fresh herring roe..fried or scrambled with eggs, chitl'ins from hogs we raised. Cracklin' bread, and last but certainly not least, biscuits made with lard (again from hogs we raised.) There was Cheerwine soda, Castleberry's Georgia Hash, and the hot sausages that they served at the Cozy Tavern (a local establishment on the "other" side of town)...I sure do miss all that stuff.
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Our world has changed, and I don't think for the better. I'd trade in my cell phone, and computer to have the freedom and community trust that was enjoyed when i was a boy.
That's about all I can remember right now.
Most of those things are still available. The rest are thankfully gone. I wouldn't trade my smart phone or other technology for a bunch of reminiscences.

Technology has introduced me to whole new ways to cook. Modern transportation has brought me a new world of ingredients I had never heard of before. The internet has shown me tastes I never before imagined. I can finally move beyond that bland and boring British/New England food that I knew as a child. I can explore flavors and spices I never knew in the 1950's.

This is just one more of those conversations that someone else complained about. We are turning into a forum of a bunch of old fogies complaining about our food, our health, each other, and the world around. Have you noticed that the average age here is about 150? I am close to getting my first ss check myself, but this place is getting too old and crotchety for me.

And when I was a kid I walked 2 miles to school, with no shoes, an uphill both ways.

Sorry, Chief. I know you're beloved here, but ........... this contributes to the exodus.
__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Most of those things are still available. The rest are thankfully gone. I wouldn't trade my smart phone or other technology for a bunch of reminiscences.

Technology has introduced me to whole new ways to cook. Modern transportation has brought me a new world of ingredients I had never heard of before. The internet has shown me tastes I never before imagined. I can finally move beyond that bland and boring British/New England food that I knew as a child. I can explore flavors and spices I never knew in the 1950's.

This is just one more of those conversations that someone else complained about. We are turning into a forum of a bunch of old fogies complaining about our food, our health, each other, and the world around. Have you noticed that the average age here is about 150? I am close to getting my first ss check myself, but this place is getting too old and crotchety for me.

And when I was a kid I walked 2 miles to school, with no shoes, an uphill both ways.

Sorry, Chief. I know you're beloved here, but ........... this contributes to the exodus.
You misunderstand me. What I miss about yesteryear was the fact that we knew all of our neighbors, and my parents knew I was safe, no matter where I went in the town. Predators were pretty much unheard of, and it wasn't unusual to see a 16 year old toting a shotgun to the woods, to do a little rabbit, or grouse hunting. And co-pilots didn't purposely fly their jetliners into the ground.

The world is meaner now, and much of childhood innocence is lost. That's the part of our modern society that I don't care for.

As for all of the different flavors that are talked about on the internet, I had the opportunity to try many of them as a young man, when I joined the U.S. Navy. Living in Tennessee, Southern California, and sailing around the Pacific, I was introduced to wonderful flavors.

By remembering the things I was able to do in my own youth, I was able to guide my own children as they were growing to activities that many of their friends never dreamed of experiencing, and introducing them to foods that most people in my home town still haven't even heard of.

Truly, it's the mistrust we have developed in our society that bothers me, and the fact that most young adults I know have experienced more life through video games than through actually doing things in the great outdoors.

I use my computer all the time, and it has allowed me to purchase good things that are otherwise unavailable. It's a great tool for so many things. But just every once in a while, I want to be in a place where I'm challenged to use my own ingenuity, creativity, and problem solving skills to survive. I love the challenge of the outdoors. At least where I live, there are "No Hunting", and "No Trespassing" signs all over the place. There are fewer empty spaces available, less access to good fishing streams, more rules that limit our freedoms. Some of the new rules and laws I applaud. But some of them are just restrictive, and go beyond common sense.

And yes, I am still a big kid. I still throw snowballs, and water balloons. I still get on the floor and play with my grandkids. I still engage in an occasional game of hot-hands, and mercy with people a third of my age.

I guess, I just want it all, the good things of the past that are no longer available, and the good things of the present.

Keeping memories alive isn't a bad thing, if you concentrate on good memories. It helps shape the present. Most importantly, we can use remembered experience to help create new memories.

And yes, I agree, we need new, young blood here on DC. Ii'm always talking to people and inviting them to join, most of them under the age of 30. Sadly, most of them tell me that they don't like to cook.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Really interesting posts Chief, thank you . I am going to have a nosy at your blog .

Actually a lot of your things sounded quite exotic , I didn't know what coke was or a milkshake . We did have lemonade in flavours such as Cream Soda and Sarsparella (can't spell it and still don't know what it is ) . As a child we might go to a cafe for a pot of tea and a crumpet but not a restaurant . It was fairly plain food really until the explosion of ready meals which meant Indian and Chinese meals in boxes , ooh !
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
You misunderstand me. What I miss about yesteryear was the fact that we knew all of our neighbors, and my parents knew I was safe, no matter where I went in the town. Predators were pretty much unheard of, and it wasn't unusual to see a 16 year old toting a shotgun to the woods, to do a little rabbit, or grouse hunting. And co-pilots didn't purposely fly their jetliners into the ground.

The world is meaner now, and much of childhood innocence is lost. That's the part of our modern society that I don't care for.

As for all of the different flavors that are talked about on the internet, I had the opportunity to try many of them as a young man, when I joined the U.S. Navy. Living in Tennessee, Southern California, and sailing around the Pacific, I was introduced to wonderful flavors.

By remembering the things I was able to do in my own youth, I was able to guide my own children as they were growing to activities that many of their friends never dreamed of experiencing, and introducing them to foods that most people in my home town still haven't even heard of.

Truly, it's the mistrust we have developed in our society that bothers me, and the fact that most young adults I know have experienced more life through video games than through actually doing things in the great outdoors.

I use my computer all the time, and it has allowed me to purchase good things that are otherwise unavailable. It's a great tool for so many things. But just every once in a while, I want to be in a place where I'm challenged to use my own ingenuity, creativity, and problem solving skills to survive. I love the challenge of the outdoors. At least where I live, there are "No Hunting", and "No Trespassing" signs all over the place. There are fewer empty spaces available, less access to good fishing streams, more rules that limit our freedoms. Some of the new rules and laws I applaud. But some of them are just restrictive, and go beyond common sense.

And yes, I am still a big kid. I still throw snowballs, and water balloons. I still get on the floor and play with my grandkids. I still engage in an occasional game of hot-hands, and mercy with people a third of my age.

I guess, I just want it all, the good things of the past that are no longer available, and the good things of the present.

Keeping memories alive isn't a bad thing, if you concentrate on good memories. It helps shape the present. Most importantly, we can use remembered experience to help create new memories.

And yes, I agree, we need new, young blood here on DC. Ii'm always talking to people and inviting them to join, most of them under the age of 30. Sadly, most of them tell me that they don't like to cook.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Never mind, Chief, I enjoy all the reminiscences on here, including yours and when I was young I always enjoyed listening to older people (of which I now am one!) talking about their youth. Probably the reason why I became a History teacher.

Discussing childhood and other memories are what social history is all about and we would be poorer without it.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Most of those things are still available. The rest are thankfully gone. I wouldn't trade my smart phone or other technology for a bunch of reminiscences.

Technology has introduced me to whole new ways to cook. Modern transportation has brought me a new world of ingredients I had never heard of before. The internet has shown me tastes I never before imagined. I can finally move beyond that bland and boring British/New England food that I knew as a child. I can explore flavors and spices I never knew in the 1950's.

This is just one more of those conversations that someone else complained about. We are turning into a forum of a bunch of old fogies complaining about our food, our health, each other, and the world around. Have you noticed that the average age here is about 150? I am close to getting my first ss check myself, but this place is getting too old and crotchety for me.

And when I was a kid I walked 2 miles to school, with no shoes, an uphill both ways.

Sorry, Chief. I know you're beloved here, but ........... this contributes to the exodus.
Your choice but I actually find myself feeling sorry for you, Silver Sage
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.