"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2006, 03:42 AM   #11
Executive Chef

For christmas-time, it was being allowed to give a stir to the Christmas cakes and christmas puddings (for luck)... and trying to spot where my mum was hiding the silver thruppeny bits and silver charms in the puddings... of course, by the time Christmas rolled round, we could never remember exactly where they were placed!

Painting eggs for Easter and rolling them down the slopes of Arthur's Seat (extinct volcano that dominates the Edinburgh skyline) along with hundreds of other families.

My granny's dropped scones, cooked on a real girdle (griddle) - and I now own that girdle and use it myself..

Taking a cut-glass bowl over to a local Italian ice-cream/coffee shop and having it filled to the brim with home-made ice-cream. The neapolitan stuff was amazing, so was the cassata... Nothing tastes quite the same nowadays!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:52 AM   #12
Executive Chef

One of my favorite memories was Mom bringing out candy and nuts a few weeks after Christmas. We'd sit by the fire and she and Dad would crack the nuts and hand them to us with different kinds of candy. I only realized after I was grown up that the candy was the same as what was in our stocking, but I never made the connection then.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:35 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
yes I remember celery with pb chef jen and even with cream cheese

Yes I remember razzles verablue! I loved those.

I was a big ketchup freak as a kid and so I used to make ketchup sandwiches, just white bread and ketchup I'd never eat that again, or would I?

All time favorite creation of my own was cream cheese and strawberry jam on white bread, oh I still love those now and then.

Mom used to pack me some saltines with peanutbutter as a side for my lunch at school and some sliced oranges, along with a sandwich of some sort, usually bologna and cheese, which I would never eat again

Oh verablue, and anyone else interested in finding old time candies, there is a place online in my state http://www.yummies.com/
Bottle caps!!! And Sugar Babies!!!! And sensen!!! And the lick stick thing!
hahaha, thanks for the link!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Many memories of dyeing eggs for Easter then the Easter egg hunt.
Making cookies and leaving them out with milk for Santa lol.

I remember my dad used to work cleaning up after semi's had
an accident. He brought home so many eggs that weren't damaged
we ate eggs for months !!! And I remember him bringing home about 5 cases
of gum and Life Savers. My parents must have given that away because we
didn't get any of it.

I remember when we went camping we always had those pie makers and we'd make pizza and pies with them. Always played Uno after eating on
camping trips.
My kids are 20 and 17, and we still leave cookies out for Santa!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
I wasnt allowed pixie sticks as a kid LOL my mom use to tell me that angry employees would put rat poision and drugs in them LOL it was to scare me from eating them.. and it did to this day i walk by them LOL and shudder

Yes Vera I loved Lick M Aid and Gold rocks nugget gum
Old 08-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Many memories of dyeing eggs for Easter then the Easter egg hunt.
Making cookies and leaving them out with milk for Santa lol.
those are goodies, too.. I remember we always left Santa a liver sausage sandwich with mustard on rye! and my Dad wouldn't let anyone near the tree when it was time to decorate. We were each "allowed" to place two ornaments. That tree was his artistic expression for the year!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #17
Cook

I also remember making lots and lots of sugar cookies and yes, those are still my favorite as well. Also, the only time my mom ever made fudge was at Christmas time. We didn't use a candy thermometer, we used the cup of water for the softball/hardball stage and she made her fudge from Hershey's cocoa. The kind you stir and stir and stir and stir and stir--then stir some more. I did the stirring!!! To this day, I cannot make that kind of fudge come out right. But hers was always perfect.
And if we ate cheese sandwiches, they had to be cut in triangles--they tasted better for some reason.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #18
Master Chef

I have fond memories of baking Christmas cookies with my mom. We'd make a big batch of sugar cookie dough, and she'd supply the cookie cutters, sprinkles, and icing. I remember when I was little, I'd play with that dough till it was downright gray. I also liked watching her make pies. The leftover piecrust was always buttered, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, rolled, and cut into tiny cinnamon rolls. I couldn't wait until they came out of the oven!

I actually spent more time in the kitchen with my Grandma Snarr, though. She always found some kind of little job for me to do that made me feel I'd had a part in preparing the meal or getting ready for one of her many teaparties. Holidays were really fun, because all the women would gather in the kitchen, and I always felt like one of the big girls, peeling potatoes, stuffing pears halves with cream cheese and nuts, tearing up bread for the stuffing, etc.
As I got older, I remained interested in cooking, and she began teaching me cooking skills that I've continued to use to this day.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Mom always told us we would get worms while we were stealing pieces of bread, cookie or pie dough!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
LOL Jean my mom said similar.. womp womp if i wasnt gettin drugged off pixie sticks i was getting worms from raw cookie dough I had a traumatic life LOL