What did your mom or dad make long ago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef_Jen

Sous Chef
Ok so looking at the PB and Banana thread i was thinking about things I use to have as a child.. anyone remember something their moms or dads made as a tradition heres a few..

Cream of Wheat... every morning with maple syrup

Poor Mans dinner- salted beef (corn beef) whole potaotes greens carrots etc. in a pot boiled and served

Peanut butter for sandwiches for school-- NOW ITS BANNED from school man this was my staple

Grilled cheese

Celery with Peanut butter or cheeze wiz spreaded in the crack!

:LOL: Fizzies--we always had fizzies and sometimes we didn't even put them in water--we let them dissolve in our mouths.
And I remember mom saying we'd die if we ate jello powder out of the box

Every new year's eve, regardless if my parents were going out or not, we got those happy little cocktail weenies. I think every kid who grew up in the 60's got them.

Every year we went apple picking (yes, I took my kids when they were born, and still go now, with them at 20 and 17) at Masker's Orchard in Warwick, NY. We always had the same picnic in the orchard of shake and bake chicken, macaroni salad, entenmen's chocolate donuts and hot chocolate, with just picked apples for dessert.

Does anyone remember Razzles??
What about the cereal Freakies?
What about the truck that came with the bottles of soda?
Or the guy that drove around and sharpned your knives for that matter..?

And the peaches were actually juicy...so much so that they juice would actually run down your chin when you bit into one.

Did anyone else do the lemonade stand thing...? We always kept ours open till after dinner, because then the good humor man would drive by. He'd always trade a glass of lemonade for a good humor. If you actually bought a good humor, most of the supreme ones were 30 cents.

Do you remember the wonder bread commercial were the kid grew before your eyes? Remember how neat it was to roll that bread into little balls? It was perfect for hanging on the end of a safety pin, attatched to a stick and a string...perfect for catching carp in the river behind the house.

Isn't it amazing how much better a hot dog tastes when you grill it and eat it outside??

Hamburger Gravy...or chipped gravy over bread. Always with a side of corn.
I always swear I'll never eat it again...but then one bite...and it's still good today! Great thread Jen!

yes I remember celery with pb chef jen and even with cream cheese

Yes I remember razzles verablue! I loved those.

I was a big ketchup freak as a kid and so I used to make ketchup sandwiches, just white bread and ketchup :LOL: I'd never eat that again, or would I?:ermm:

All time favorite creation of my own was cream cheese and strawberry jam on white bread, oh I still love those now and then.

Mom used to pack me some saltines with peanutbutter as a side for my lunch at school and some sliced oranges, along with a sandwich of some sort, usually bologna and cheese, which I would never eat again :LOL:

Oh verablue, and anyone else interested in finding old time candies, there is a place online in my state http://www.yummies.com/

Last edited:
Peanut Butter is banned from schools???? :(

On Sunday evenings mum would cook us pancakes. With 6 children it took her at least an hour over her pans to feed us..lol. I had mine with lemon juice and sugar, the rest with Golden Syrup.
During summer, at weekends we went to Dog Trials or to my pony club and we always had a tailgate picnic which was always the same. ( because we insisted!)
* Bacon and Egg Pie
* Scotch Eggs
* Salad (with condensed milk dressing!)
* Banana Cake
* Homemade Gingerbeer

Mum was a busy nurse and she used to make our sandwiches for school for the week on Sundays and freeze them :rolleyes: Actually, they weren't too bad but I dont suggest tomato in the filling. They had always thawed by lunchtime. But of course today, we know better!!

Lyn, peanut butter is now banned in US schools because so many children nowadays have a peanut allergy, and could die from as much as a speck of a nut in their systems.

My childhood food memories... making christmas cookies with my mom... eating the scraps of dough from in between the cutouts. still love plain sugar cookies! :)

My Aunt June would give us big soup spoons full of peanut butter for a snack. She called them "all-day suckers."

going out to dinner with Aunt Betty Low. She took the whole family out often, and we would choose "grown up food" like Shrimp de Jonghe or Lobster Tail or French Fried Shrimp.

eating sour cherries off the tree before they were ripe...... wonder why we liked them so much?

Making ravioli with Aunt Rachel Varchetto. She would wait until we got there to fill and seal them because she knew how much I liked to help. I was around seven.... still like to make ravioli. :)

Well, those are a few of my memories...

Many memories of dyeing eggs for Easter then the Easter egg hunt.
Making cookies and leaving them out with milk for Santa lol.

I remember my dad used to work cleaning up after semi's had
an accident. He brought home so many eggs that weren't damaged
we ate eggs for months !!! And I remember him bringing home about 5 cases
of gum and Life Savers. My parents must have given that away because we
didn't get any of it.

I remember when we went camping we always had those pie makers and we'd make pizza and pies with them. Always played Uno after eating on
camping trips.

For christmas-time, it was being allowed to give a stir to the Christmas cakes and christmas puddings (for luck)... and trying to spot where my mum was hiding the silver thruppeny bits and silver charms in the puddings... of course, by the time Christmas rolled round, we could never remember exactly where they were placed!

Painting eggs for Easter and rolling them down the slopes of Arthur's Seat (extinct volcano that dominates the Edinburgh skyline) along with hundreds of other families.

My granny's dropped scones, cooked on a real girdle (griddle) - and I now own that girdle and use it myself..

Taking a cut-glass bowl over to a local Italian ice-cream/coffee shop and having it filled to the brim with home-made ice-cream. The neapolitan stuff was amazing, so was the cassata... Nothing tastes quite the same nowadays!

One of my favorite memories was Mom bringing out candy and nuts a few weeks after Christmas. We'd sit by the fire and she and Dad would crack the nuts and hand them to us with different kinds of candy. I only realized after I was grown up that the candy was the same as what was in our stocking, but I never made the connection then.

amber said:
yes I remember celery with pb chef jen and even with cream cheese

Yes I remember razzles verablue! I loved those.

I was a big ketchup freak as a kid and so I used to make ketchup sandwiches, just white bread and ketchup :LOL: I'd never eat that again, or would I?:ermm:

All time favorite creation of my own was cream cheese and strawberry jam on white bread, oh I still love those now and then.

Mom used to pack me some saltines with peanutbutter as a side for my lunch at school and some sliced oranges, along with a sandwich of some sort, usually bologna and cheese, which I would never eat again :LOL:

Oh verablue, and anyone else interested in finding old time candies, there is a place online in my state http://www.yummies.com/

Bottle caps!!! And Sugar Babies!!!! And sensen!!! And the lick stick thing!
hahaha, thanks for the link!

middie said:

I remember my dad used to work cleaning up after semi's had
an accident. He brought home so many eggs that weren't damaged
we ate eggs for months !!! And I remember him bringing home about 5 cases
of gum and Life Savers. My parents must have given that away because we
didn't get any of it.

I remember when we went camping we always had those pie makers and we'd make pizza and pies with them. Always played Uno after eating on
camping trips.

My kids are 20 and 17, and we still leave cookies out for Santa!:blink:

I wasnt allowed pixie sticks as a kid LOL my mom use to tell me that angry employees would put rat poision and drugs in them LOL it was to scare me from eating them.. and it did to this day i walk by them LOL and shudder

Yes Vera I loved Lick M Aid and Gold rocks nugget gum

those are goodies, too.. I remember we always left Santa a liver sausage sandwich with mustard on rye! :LOL: and my Dad wouldn't let anyone near the tree when it was time to decorate. We were each "allowed" to place two ornaments. That tree was his artistic expression for the year!

I also remember making lots and lots of sugar cookies and yes, those are still my favorite as well. Also, the only time my mom ever made fudge was at Christmas time. We didn't use a candy thermometer, we used the cup of water for the softball/hardball stage and she made her fudge from Hershey's cocoa. The kind you stir and stir and stir and stir and stir--then stir some more. I did the stirring!!! To this day, I cannot make that kind of fudge come out right. But hers was always perfect.
And if we ate cheese sandwiches, they had to be cut in triangles--they tasted better for some reason. :mellow:

I have fond memories of baking Christmas cookies with my mom. We'd make a big batch of sugar cookie dough, and she'd supply the cookie cutters, sprinkles, and icing. I remember when I was little, I'd play with that dough till it was downright gray. I also liked watching her make pies. The leftover piecrust was always buttered, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, rolled, and cut into tiny cinnamon rolls. I couldn't wait until they came out of the oven!

I actually spent more time in the kitchen with my Grandma Snarr, though. She always found some kind of little job for me to do that made me feel I'd had a part in preparing the meal or getting ready for one of her many teaparties. Holidays were really fun, because all the women would gather in the kitchen, and I always felt like one of the big girls, peeling potatoes, stuffing pears halves with cream cheese and nuts, tearing up bread for the stuffing, etc.
As I got older, I remained interested in cooking, and she began teaching me cooking skills that I've continued to use to this day.

Back
Top Bottom