What do you collect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought of another.
I have a large collection of fabric and yarn and patterns for both that I'm GONNA make stuff with!!
Someday.... not today.
My mom has also started buying depression glass for me. It's not really my thing but its nice so I'll keep it.

That reminded me , I have a very large stash of fabrics, embroidery threads . My embroidery machine has not been used since 1999. :ohmy:
Also have a sewing machine , used to make cat shaped pillows and other things. I had one bedroom that was used for my crafting projects but no more... had to change the room for a real bedroom for guests and put away all my stuff. Just don't open the closet :LOL:

I have a ton of fabric too. Between what I have bought over the years, and the bags and boxes of fabric a friend gave me (it was her mom's, who had just died, and she doesn't sew), I would say that I have around $1,000 to $2,000 in fabric, plus I have a lot of patterns, thread, zippers, etc. I wasn't able to sew for a long time (time, space, etc.), but I now have a place set up and have gotten back to it. Some of my plans for certain fabrics have stayed the same, but some plans have changed. So I guess you could say I collect fabric, and I may never get much done with it, but I really do plan to.

:)Barbara

Oh, yes, almost forgot my button collection. Yes, plain old buttons. I will actually buy bags of them from the craft and fabric stores. You never know when you might need one...........right?

I have lots of fabric that will have to wait til I have grandkids!
I bought bunches when the 1st son was little to make pajamas out of....
Now they are too babyish for both boys and too boyish for DD!!!
Anyone having a boy anytime soon??? :)

I have lots of fabric that will have to wait til I have grandkids!
I bought bunches when the 1st son was little to make pajamas out of....
Now they are too babyish for both boys and too boyish for DD!!!
Anyone having a boy anytime soon??? :)

Make pillowcases out of the fabric for the boys. They'd love it. I do that for my grandsons all the time. I've also made drawstring stash/tote bags for them to keep their valuable toys in.

One of my grandsons sleeps with his filled tote bags so the bad guys won't get his stuff.:LOL:

Katie that sounds great!
It's mostly flannel that would be so cozy!
Forget them.... I think I will make myself an Elmo train pillow!!!

I collect pottery from each place (state) I go and collectable spoons. I believe I have about 21 spoons collected and missing eight from other states I've visited.

another one colecting fabric....but I'm not that good a needle woman. :(

I also collect triages of old/antique cups, saucers and plates, and old bone china or porcelain plates etc. I have a wonderful mismatched dinner service now, that is very meand bizarrely looks quite stylish. I have favorite pieces of course, but this way I use the stuff and don't cry (too much) if an irreplacable plate gets broken, its not after all part of a set! I'm always adding to it and I'm moving on to silverware now,
and coffee cups. (I think its unlikely I'll have more than 36 people for afternoon tea ever, but I could do with a larger dinner service).
And Chefjune would be proud of my glass collection! My favourite are 5, sadly, pale pink martinee glasses, nothing special in maker or quality but so pretty! Anything kitchenalia is likely to find its way in, any cook book.

I try to only collect useful stuff. DH and I go to loads of fleamarkets and antique saes etc and we have the rules: it must be both useful and beautiful to become part of our lives!

DH collects musical intruments (he's a very talented musician) and jazz albums. and ties.

We both seem to be collecting animals. (I've been offered another horse and we are trying to find some and to rent, but I don't think its going to happen!) which leads to a collection of interesting saddlery items.

We 'collect' archetectural and green building ideas and design ideas in a file for our one day dream fulfilment of building our own home.

And good memories. I'm big into collecting a many of those as I possibly can, along with the friends that make them.

Elements (periodic table)
LEDs
Micro chips (CPUs, 74XX TTL series, EPROMS, RAM)
Thermionic Valves (Vacuum tubes)
Coins
Antique Laboratory apparatus
Isaac Asimov books (incl the entire `Foundation` series)

I`v also got over a dozen different Cameras but I wouldn`t call it a a "Collection" per se.

Last edited:
elephant figurines......have about 20.........the ones with the trunks up are considered good luck in a lot of cultures.......out of all kinds of materials......wood, alabaster, lapiz, malachite, marble, glass, cloth, etc., not worth anything except to me.....when a Texas Aggie in the Corps graduates they do the elephant walk during their senior year........this is where they go off to "die" as they're going "away" for good--it's very emotional and done privately----...it's a very emotional time for them as seniors as they have really bonded over the years.......we were so poor as married college student that I gave him a set of cheap elephant salt and pepper shakers to commemorate it----he was so touched that they still occupy the shelf as well........those silly 50 cent elephants still grin at us today....hahaha...btw......their trunks are up.......

Need to add to mine, (you all made me think of my,
um, junk xxxx, stuff)

LPBeir - unfinished projects! and all the stuff to complete them - me too!

BarbaraL - Home Depot has the cutest keyring of a very
mini level - just thought you sounded like
you needed another one. Ha!

JillBurgh - depression glass, send it all! Or post
photos, please!

Suziquzie - & all others, - fabric, fabric, fabric. I think
I have every "Fat Quarter" color you could
want and 1/2 yard too. Some day everyday
will last 40 hours so I can start every quilt,
and finish every last one of them.

I used to refinish furniture, alot, then keep or give to family or friends. I don't do too much anymore due to
home size constraints, but I still have everything needed
relating to that, and still love doing pieces that are interesting.
I save ribbon. The fabric or satin, or silk kind ladies and girls used to wear in their hair. So most of the pieces are
18"-24" long.
I used to collect unused, 1 only, Christmas cards. I didn't have them in an airtight container. Just a decorative cardboard box, in my shed. The side angle,
driving, but shortlived, rains of Hurricane Wilma got into the seams of my roof/walls and molded all of them.
Now the trashman has them.

I had a yard sale last November and got rid of alot of
things that alway seemed so important to me, but realized I haven't seen or would never use. One guy
bought over $300 worth of little stuff! Now, I find
I go to look for something and it's not there and I miss it. Not that I really needed any of it. But it's sort of a
part of you, you've lost.
But it's made way for new/more stuff!
Let that be a lesson though. Really think about what you want to give up.

JillBurgh - depression glass, send it all! Or post
photos, please!
Well, how do I put this politely... I don't HAVE it yet because, um, she's still alive!! It's willed to me, though.

We are setting up at the flea market next weekend. I am going to take a picture of our table for you to ooh and ahh over. Too bad you're in Florida I have a GORGEOUS piece of furn we bought at flea mkt for $30 that needs refinished, and we're also looking for a rustic piece in the kitchen. We could commission you to help out if you were here in PA!

hey quicksilver... make me an offer on my 157 boxes of Depression glass! ;)
Actually its probably only about 120 and the rest are perfume atomizers and
other glassware.....

picture.php

picture.php

Ha! I also like Penzey's spices!
(Sorry fuzzy- they're phone pics!)

Actually, I will be going again tomorrow for:

crystallized ginger
fox point seasoning
ground white pepper
zatar seasoning
Pakistani crushed red pepper (extra hot!)

Now I need another shelf... Quicksilver?

I was given some very old FiestaWare before my mother-in-law passed away..........the old stuff is unbelievably pricey these days if you can even find it........her mother had two sets of it just sitting under the bed collecting dust and "mom" divided it up amongst her "girls"........back then it cost nothing to buy.............why it's worth so much today I don't know.......wished that I had a full set :)

Jill, your spice racks and shelves look like mine!:) What a nice collection!!!

Yeah my gram is breaking up her depression glass collection to the entire family so that we don't think she is favoring anyone... Depression Glass anyone?

OMG!!! OOPS!!! I thought you said she was breaking it up. You didn't say anything about the other thing.
I just got alittle GREEN EYED. So Sorry!!!!!

OMG!!! OOPS!!! I thought you said she was breaking it up. You didn't say anything about the other thing.
I just got alittle GREEN EYED. So Sorry!!!!!

Haha don't apologize. I didn't mention that part but I thought we could all read each other's minds here. :dizzy: She is splitting the collection and every time we visit she shows us each our share. :blink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom